DD1 interference with HTC Vive Pro and Valve Index Headset Tracking

I've got 2 DD1's that have this problem. 

When using either a HTC Vive Pro or a Valve Index VR headset, the headset tracking drops out ( headset video goes grey) when I touch the sides or bottom of the VR headset when I'm sitting in the simulator. If I turn the power to the DD1 off, the problem goes away. If I stand up and move a few feet from the DD1, the problem goes away. This makes it impossible to adjust the IPD or the headset position while the DD1 is on.

Anyone else seeing this?
640 x 480 - 528K

Comments

• Is your rig properly grounded?
  • edited September 13
    I think you are on to something Maurice. 

All electrical connections are properly grounded but the rig chassis itself is not tied to ground and in fact is isolated from the non-conductive carpet with a rubber mat. So I guess you'd say the rig chassis itself has a floating ground. Now I just tried stepping off the rig with the DD1 powered up, and held both sides of the VR headset. Tracking was as expected, normal. Then I simply touched the rig chassis and the tracking dropped out. I can repeat this consistently. So, over the weekend I'll run a copper grounding wire between the rig chassis and a cold water ground. That should tell the story.

I'll let you know what I find. 

Thanks
  • Grounding the chassis, or even directly grounding the DD1 to a cold water ground did not solve the VR headset tracking problem. 

However, I found that if I disconnect the DD1 USB cable, the VR headset tracking is fine, even with the DD1 powered up. So this looks a USB issue. 

I've tried different USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports for the VR headset and the DD1 and the symptoms do not change. Next, I'm going to try adding the Inateck HT5001 PCI-E USB 3.0 expansion card that includes a 15 pin power connector. Rumor has it that this card has helped solve HTC Vive Pro and Valve Index headset tracking issues. 

I'll let you know how that works out.