ClubSport Wheel Base V2 - The first reviews and opinions!- UPDATE 6

edited October 2014 in Blog

A lot of you guys are looking forward to the FIRST REVIEWS of the new ClubSport wheel Base V2 and the embargo ends today 12.00 (noon) German time. All reviews will be listed below so you get a lot of opinions about the new product.

These are not traditional reviews as we have only sent out beta wheels to beta testers so far. We have chosen the most experienced, critical and respected guys out there to help us finding remaining flaws and to sort out bugs. We have picked those customers from our customer base, real race drivers, pro sim drivers, game developers or respected community members of various forums.

They all helped us to make a better product and I would like to thank all of them for doing a great job!

It was not our intention and there is no obligation whatsoever that those beta testers also make a review about it but some of them asked us if they can do it and we are happy to let them share their opinion.

Those reviews might not be 100% objective as some testers have a history (good or bad) with Fanatec and some of them appreciate the opportunity to be the first to enjoy the wheel. And although it has not been announced yet, they also might expect that they can keep the unit and purchase it with a discount.

On the other side we have asked the testers not to report about any issues or things which might have been changed in the final product. For example we changed the motor and made the inner construction more sturdy and changed the heat resistance which will rediuce the Curie effect on the magnets. And we are still working on the final firmware.

There will be a second round of reviews with magazines and bloggers once the final product is available.

So in any case it is good to listen to a lot of opinions to make up your own opinions and here they are:

(To be updated. Please post it in the comments if you find more)

Shaun Cole

Barry Rowland

Ronny Fantini, Michael Walser, Michael Herrmann (auf deutsch)
http://forum.virtualracing.org/showthread.php/83961-Fanatec-Clubsport-Wheel/page985

Mark Reynolds
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/fanatec-has-released-details-on-their-all-new-clubsport-v2.92158/page-3

Eric Sprehe
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/csw-v1-vs-csw-v2-comparison.92426/

Henk Schoone
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/fanatec-clubsport-wheel-base-v2-review.316377/

Christiaan van Beilen
http://www.simology.co/entry/3-wheel-reviews/274-fanatec-clubsport-wheel-base-v2-one-wheel-to-rule-them-all

Danny Bouwes
http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3272266.page (members only)

Will Currington
http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/14847-dont-believe-the-hype-or-do-you/

Madcat
http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/HardwarePeripheriques/Joys/unique-fanatec-volants-sujet_52909_53.htm#t782469

Doug Meyer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhCiLna2nPc

Danny Bouwes
http://www.raceskins.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Fanatec-ClubSport-Platform-V2-Review.pdf

Amar Resic
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/fanatec-csw-v2-overview-gran-turismo-6-csw-v1-and-perfection-reinvented.317943/

Comments

•  

Den ersten Reviews nach zu urteilen gibt es nur Eines zur CSW-Base-V2 zu sagen:

S E N S A T I O N E L L !                                         

• Thank you very much Henk for your review. It seems that the wheel is perfect! Better performances, more precise, more powerfull, no cogging and further compatibility with next gen consoles...

After having read your review, it is much more difficult to wait for the invitation code
    8->
    Please Fanatec :))

Thank you in advance to all of the other reviewers.
  • Well I still need a code...
  • Thats another great review from Berry Rowland! Unbiased as expected from him. Very pleased that he got the unit early too. I would have liked a more detailed comparison with his Bodnar wheel in terms of torque and precision. I know thats in total different league, but would be nice to know how its comparing to a direct drive system.

Looks like Fanatec stepped up the Quality significally!! Definitely a contender to the Accu Force Wheel at this price range.

That Porsche Wheel rim looks really sexy! Too bad that its gonna be a long wait until i can test this combination. Wel maybe i'm lucky and win an Invite Code. :P

• Klasse Bericht, Micha. Ausführlich, sachlich... macht wirklich Lust auf die neue Base. Trotzdem hoffe ich immer noch ein wenig, das die PS4 Rims auch auf der V1 funzen und man nicht gleich alles neu kaufen muss. 
    Das ich mir die V2 kaufe ist definitiv keine Frage, aber eine Einladung habe ich bis dato auch noch nicht bekommen. Also gehe ich davon aus, das die V1 mit der PS4 funktioniert. 
    Vielleicht gibt es zu diesem Thema ja auch bald Neuigkeiten... 
    ;;)
  • Auf die Kompatibilität der V1 und V2 Base warten sehr viele.
    Noch ist aber unklar, ob die V1 Base ebenfalls mit einem entsprechenden Rim funktionieren wird. Auch ist leider noch nicht bekannt, welche der beiden Konsolen demnächst von der V2 Base angefeuert wird.

Ich habe zwar beide Konsolen, aber aufgrund der zukünftig besseren Rennspiele (meiner Meinung nach) auf der PS4, hoffe ich auf Sony. 
    Würde schon gerne AC mit der V2 Base unsicher machen.

Verstehe aber Thomas, das er dazu noch nichts sagen möchte.  Wobei es mir schon unter den Nägeln Brennt, zumal ich täglich von der Community gelöchert werde.
  • Hey Thomas ,

I own a set of the CSP V1 version bought from the first batch pre-order in 2009 . Am I eligible for a Invite code ?

Thank you ,

Billy 

• Auf die Kompatibilität der V1 und V2 Base warten sehr viele.
    Noch ist aber unklar, ob die V1 Base ebenfalls mit einem entsprechenden Rim funktionieren wird. Auch ist leider noch nicht bekannt, welche der beiden Konsolen demnächst von der V2 Base angefeuert wird.

Ich habe zwar beide Konsolen, aber aufgrund der zukünftig besseren Rennspiele (meiner Meinung nach) auf der PS4, hoffe ich auf Sony. 
    Würde schon gerne AC mit der V2 Base unsicher machen.

Verstehe aber Thomas, das er dazu noch nichts sagen möchte.  Wobei es mir schon unter den Nägeln Brennt, zumal ich täglich von der Community gelöchert werde.
    Da ich keine XBox habe und mit dem Thema ein für allemal durch bin, hoffe ich natürlich auch auf die PS4. 
    Teile deine Meinung voll und ganz, dass die besseren Rennspiele auf der PS4 kommen. Der einzige Wermutstropfen für mich ist Forza Horizon 2. Aber das kann ich verschmerzen. 

• Horizon2 ...also das gesehene auf der GC war ...sehr bescheiden vom Fahren her.
    Teil 1 fand ich noch gut, aber wie bei Forza schaut man lieber auf die Familien -tauglichkeit und vergisst uns "Racer" völlig dabei.  
    Aber alles Ansichtssache.
    Ich wünsche mir AC, pcars, GT7 usw. mit der V2 Base unsicher machen zu können
  • edited September 2014
    Yes Barry Rowland does the Best Product reviews that I've seen thus far. However Christiaan(Logiforce) did quite an impressive printed review
  • I cant wait for this one!! Great reviews great to see simpit reviewing fanatec gear.
    This is a very nice upgrade for my v1.
    Money waiting for fanatec :)
  • i'm a csr elite owner, but noticed my order history shows nothing but prices of my orders and don't show products.. I hope i get an invite still!
  • I don't need a review ... let me throw money at you, Fanatec !

Code me, sugar tits!
  • Some nice reviews here, all positive stuff however I would prefer to see more footage of people using the wheel instead of quoting technical specs. I think it would be especially helpful for a lot of people if someone could review the performance when used with a PS3, particularly with GT6 (or GT5), and the F1 and GRID games.
  • edited September 2014
    Good reviews and  lot of spec details we can find in.

My problem will be to choose a wheel rim  8-|...
  • edited September 2014

Me too!!!
    I love the BMW !!! 
    But it is not if it will be very heavy

• edited September 2014

Me too!!!
    I love the BMW !!! 

I had search for an opinion in forums or review that compare sensations with BMW rim vs universal+any fanatec rim or 918RS.

If new update torque in v2 are higher than v1 maybe BMW work fine without lost any "feeling" or force feedback power. If anyone can give his opinion I'd really apreciate it.

Thanks in advance
  • Hey Thomas!!! What do you think about??

Me too!!!
    I love the BMW !!! 

I had search for an opinion in forums or review that compare sensations with BMW rim vs universal+any fanatec rim or 918RS.

If new update torque in v2 are higher than v1 maybe BMW work fine without lost any "feeling" or force feedback power. If anyone can give his opinion I'd really apreciate it.

Thanks in advance

• I quit smoking a few months ago.
    And the saved money is put apart to replace my CSW V1 by a CSW V2 :)
    Waiting for a invite!
  • edited September 2014
    While everybody is busy reading the reviews about the CSW Base V2, the peeps at  Formula 1 are busy practicing/preparing using Fanatec system.

Tweet via @Marussia F1 Team

When in Rome (or Milan), wear a cowboy hat! Obvs. Just a little promo work with @circuitamericas & @AlexanderRossipic.twitter.com/lXICWUHofh

JC
    600 x 800 - 58K
  • Also ich muss gestehen...alle Reviews waren für mich ein Fest und ja schon Pflicht für mich!  Aber insbesondere unsere Michael´s haben wieder geniale Zeilen und Bilder  niedergeschrieben, die schon Lust auf mehr und "sofort" machen. Hierbei will noch erwähnt sein, dass gerade Michael Walser mit seiner Vorgeschichte bei der Base V1 sicher ein wichtiger Kandidat für den Test war. Umso mehr hat mich seine Freude über die V2-Base angesteckt!!!! Ich habe zumindest für meinen Teil schonmal Geld beiseite gelegt.....
    ;) Die Erwartung elektronische Post zu bekommen von Euch ist natürlich enorm gestiegen......Der Bestellbutton will gedrückt werden. Danke und weiter so!!!! Ich war, bin und werde weiter ein Fanatec.......ker
    :)>- bleiben!
  • Still no mention of Xbox 360 compatibility? Can anyone confirm/deny if a suitable rim will be released for use with the 360? With Forza Horizon 2 still scheduled, not to mention Forza 4 (and 3-my favourite), F1 2014, and GRID Autosport, I think there would be a decent market for such a rim, not to mention the fact it might make the CSW V2 more attractive to those yet to take the step into the 'next gen'.

I will post this in the CSW V2 blog as well and hope for a positive outcome :)

• ok after these reviews send me my invite e take my money!!!!!!
  • Very good reviews :)
  • Still no mention of Xbox 360 compatibility? Can anyone confirm/deny if a suitable rim will be released for use with the 360? With Forza Horizon 2 still scheduled, not to mention Forza 4 (and 3-my favourite), F1 2014, and GRID Autosport, I think there would be a decent market for such a rim, not to mention the fact it might make the CSW V2 more attractive to those yet to take the step into the 'next gen'.

I will post this in the CSW V2 blog as well and hope for a positive outcome :)

Robert, there are already Fanatec wheels available for the Xbox 360. Don't get your hopes up. I don't think it would make much sense for them to design another detachable wheel (along with the cost of licensing M$ wireless technology) for a console that is on it's way out.
  • Will we have to place order straight away when we get the code or will we have a limited time (week or two) to place the order? Has anyone had a code yet? I bought my elite as soon as it was available for release but havent had a code yet :( the ONLY thing thats going 2 suck about getting this base is I wont be able to use the thing lol! I know the wheel isnt even out but some idea on ps4/one wheels release dates (est) would be nice thomas :) (Dear santa can I have a F1 rim for my csw v2)
  • edited September 2014

Seems good. I can't help but think that these are not entirely unbiased reviews though. If these reviewers want to be beta testers again it seems in their best interest to lean toward the positives.

Also I would like to see reviews of the finished product not beta versions. Still, seems that all V1 weak points were corrected... so hey can't complain.

• the ONLY thing thats going 2 suck about getting this base is I wont be able to use the thing lol! I know the wheel isnt even out but some idea on ps4/one wheels release dates (est) would be nice thomas

Agreed kinda tough to throw down a min of $500 with no release date for the console compatible wheel rims.....although I would still play on PC while I wait, unless I knew the console rim would work on PC as well, which I can only assume it would. It would be nice not to have to buy 2 wheel rims is my point.

What say you Thomas?

• The reviews are good but like a lot of people have said mostly specs info you could find yourself a week ago not much footage of the wheel in use. I could care less about Sony or Microsoft I already have given them enough of my money this is for my Simulator not another game or game system I have to pay for.  I already have my order in and assuming from the email I got I should receive some of the first shipment big question?

WHEN WILL THE FIRST SHIPMENTS GO OUT ?

• edited September 2014
    Matt,

These beta versions are basically production versions. Any changes at this point will be very minor. Also I understand you hesitation about the reviews but as Thomas stated, Those reviews might not be 100% objective as some testers have a history (good or bad) with Fanatec. Thomas is open to all feedback. He wants to make the best product possible. The testers were selected because of their knowledge and also because they don't hesitate to give their opinion. Being open to all feedback is how great-not good-products are made. 

:)
  • edited September 2014

These beta versions are basically production versions. Any changes at this point will be very minor. Also I understand you hesitation about the reviews but as Thomas stated, Those reviews might not be 100% objective as some testers have a history (good or bad) with Fanatec. Thomas is open to all feedback. He wants to make the best product possible.

Chris,

I understand who "Those reviewers" are but there a few of other reputable outlets that I believe would give good constructive reviews.

By the way "those other reviewers" have for the most part had favorable comments about Fanatec gear in the past and that should not make a company hand pick its reviewers due to one bad experience.

Again, the chosen few do have good reputations and seem very experienced & knowledgeable about sim-racing hardware, it's just not the typical way products get into reviewers hands. If it is a great product (I believe it is) then any grudge holding reviewers negativity would quickly be weeded out by all of the positive reviews like any other type of review and their reputation would then be in question.

Any who that is all - the V2 sounds great and I hope to see an invite soon as I did purchase a first batch of the CSR-E wheel. Thanks.

• edited September 2014
    Matt,

I think I should've been more clear. The quote from Thomas was regarding the beta testers only. I took it directly from his statement above. I wasn't alluding to anyone else. He was explaining that beta units were sent to people regardless of their previous opinions about Fanatec. So that is a good thing IMO. I apologize for not explaining myself better.

Also Thomas stated, There will be a second round of reviews with magazines and bloggers once the final product is available. (Taken from above)

Not sure what you are referring to with, "those other reviewers".
  • Chris,

Got it. I will leave that alone. Good to here there will be other reviews as well.

• Hey all
    Have enyone get emails with codes to ordre a V2 base? I have the Csr E, clubsport base v1, the Formula and the BMW rim, and had clubsport v1 pedals...just get the v2 pedals last month....so would i not be in the first round?? please help anyone :)
  • Hey all
    Have enyone get emails with codes to ordre a V2 base? I have the Csr E, clubsport base v1, the Formula and the BMW rim, and had clubsport v1 pedals...just get the v2 pedals last month....so would i not be in the first round?? please help anyone :)
    When did you order your products? I ordered my CSW v1 around august 2012. Still haven't received an invitation. :(
  • Hey all

When did you order your products? I ordered my CSW v1 around august 2012. Still haven't received an invitation. :(

I ordered my csr e 2011 and the first clubsport base and formula rim+bmw rim september 2012. o sold my base to my brother and did buy a new base 17/3 2014 + i have the Hub and GT rim.. so i must be in the top of invitations...??right? 

• I ordered my csr e 2011 and the first clubsport base and formula rim+bmw rim september 2012. o sold my base to my brother and did buy a new base 17/3 2014 + i have the Hub and GT rim.. so i must be in the top of invitations...??right? 
    I'm not sure, if I remember correctly, when I ordered in august 2012 it was not the "first wave" of CSW shippings, but second, I think...
    However, since you ordered your CSR-E in 2011, then it should be first priority, anyway. :)
  • I pre-ordered my CSRE in 2011 received it Dec 24th 2011, still waiting for an Invite
  • edited September 2014
    "Good reviews and  lot of spec details we can find in.

My problem will be to choose a wheel rim  8-|... "
    "Me too!!!
    I love the BMW !!! 
    But it is not if it will be very heavy??"

"I had search for an opinion in forums or review that compare sensations with BMW rim vs universal+any fanatec rim or 918RS.

Thanks in advance"

Dicegroup Review ( Will Currington
    http://www.isrtv.com/forums/topic/14847-dont-believe-the-hype-or-do-you/) :

I have used both the Formula rim and the BMW GT rim that I have with have with no noticeable difference in FFB that you get with the CSW V1....!

• Madcat Review:

I have used both the Formula rim and the BMW GT rim that I have with have with no noticeable difference in FFB that you get with the CSW V1....!

Francisco Oliva Duarte you gonna have problems if you don't remove this because this is not in my (p)review. I should make an english version of it soon anyway, so any non-french speakers will be able to read what I wrote without digging into wild google translations^^
  • edited September 2014

Madcat Review:

Francisco Oliva Duarte you gonna have problems if you don't remove this because this is not in my (p)review. I should make an english version of it soon anyway, so any non-french speakers will be able to read what I wrote without digging into wild google translations^^
    I'm sorry Madcat!!!!!, I was wrong with the review of Dicecroup
    Sorry!!!
    Edit