Price increase in Europe UPDATE

Comments

• You are comparing the CSW B V2 which is fully made of CNC machiened metal with a wheel which is fully made of plastic Of course there is a price difference but you also get a performance difference.

The ClubSport series should only be compared with similar high-end products and even with the new prices our products are priced very competitive.

Our answer to the increased prices will be to develop cheaper products so we can keep our customers happy and lower the entry level to use a Fanatec wheel. Therefore you can expect to see a full line of new products which can be produced more cost efficient but still has unique features.

But we live NOW and most of us are awaiting XOne rim...so feature plans don't go for us...we wanna play PCars when it hits the shelves...not wait to buy it after a yaer past date... ;)

The load cells of the csp's are the weakest link...that ain't high end if you have to buy every 6 to 8 months a new one...

50 to 80€... I can live with that....but 110€ more expensive ?????? insane

I have a V2 and I'll be playing pCars right on release date, just to make you feel better!
  • Natalie BNatalie B Member, Moderator, Betatester
    @Thomas

You mentioned the new V2 pedals will have improvements. Will you sell a "maintenance kit" for current v2 owners allowing them to improve their V2 pedals?

I would like to purchase this if the option is offered?
  • Hi,

As you are being so "open" with this statement you should also read that the price increases have come about because of a huge spike in demand in products from the support of Fanatec on next gen consoles.

Fanatec obviously have a limited supply of the V2 servo, so why not make all the money you can out of it? 

Supply and demand, basic economic principles. 

Obviously the exchange rates have impacted profits, but it would be fair to say that if the PS4 and Xbox one were not now supported Fanatec would not have put the prices up. You could bet your last dollar on this. Or Euro

Nobody even knows when next gen consoles are coming out and the prices weren't raised in NA so you're way off base.
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    @Thomas

You mentioned the new V2 pedals will have improvements. Will you sell a "maintenance kit" for current v2 owners allowing them to improve their V2 pedals?

Not sure about that. Some things can and should only be replaced by professionals and the exchange can cause more damage than it would help.
  • Hi,

Till today I am playing with my T300/TX and the CSR Elite Pedals incl.CPX on my PS4/PS3 and XBox One, use the orig. Rims , the F1 -Rim and waiting for the new Leather 28 ( should arrive next week). I am in sum happy with this hardware, price vs. quality vs. function is quite good.
    After received the message that with the new driver also the new V2 is playable on new consoles, I plan to buy me one of this incl. a nice rim.... I am in the happy situation not have to "look on every cent" BUT after this price increase I am out !!! For round about 1000€ you get a PS4, a XBO, and a solid gear base like the T300RS.... I think the quality/feeling of the V2 is better as the TM..... But the relation is quite to worse.....
    Sorry Fanatec.... Not the right way for most of old and new potential costumes.... I am sure....
    supershadow25
  • Hi,

As you are being so "open" with this statement you should also read that the price increases have come about because of a huge spike in demand in products from the support of Fanatec on next gen consoles.

Fanatec obviously have a limited supply of the V2 servo, so why not make all the money you can out of it? 

Obviously the exchange rates have impacted profits, but it would be fair to say that if the PS4 and Xbox one were not now supported Fanatec would not have put the prices up. You could bet your last dollar on this. Or Euro

Nobody even knows when next gen consoles are coming out and the prices weren't raised in NA so you're way off base.
    Current products are supported on Next gen consoles. They are listed on the project cars website, it was announced last week.

Including the wheel base.

Who needs/wants an Xbox or PS badge on a wheel?

If Fanatec sold 10x more products in Europe than the States then increasing price in one region might make sense.

• I agree with John Shore about the given explanation being far from the whole truth.

I will add it is completely unforgivable the price increase affects only the prices in euros. As the said reason is "supposed to be" production cost getting higher due to a weaker euro, the price increase should also affect prices in dollars then.

If the price increase was equally spread between european sales and US/other sales then the increase would be way less important. By making the whole production cost increase supported by european sales, Fanatec intentions are clear:

We all know the demand is already high enough that people must wait for monthes before Fanatec can produce the ordered products, and this demand will only increase more with the console compatibility.

Now euro has gone weaker you (and me), european customers, are not welcome anymore at Fanatec. This insane prices increase affecting only euro prices is just meant to redirect sales to the non-european market paying in dollar, as those can be used to pay the chinese manufacturers.

In other words this is just a big f*ck to all existing european customers who spent their money in Fanatec products and would now have to pay +30-40% for the accessories they planned to buy (rims, pedals, shifter), whereas non-european customers will be able to continue buying those products at the same price than before...

It will affect Fanatec image amongst european customers but it won't change anything for Fanatec orders as those missing european orders will be replaced by non-european ones. With consoles compatibility coming, demand from non-european countries will still be higher than what Fanatec can produce, esp. since some european customers who plan to use their csw on consoles will feel trapped and some will accept to pay those crazy new euro prices to get their compatible rims and other accessories.

Pre-order csw v2 price was not a "discount price", it was just as good as the v1 price was in term of Q/P ratio (but is was "good Q/P"). Initial targeted v2 price (after pre-order) was already not especially good Q/P ratio anymore, it was just "acceptable" (not good, not bad). But now the new euro price just make the Q/P ratio terrible ! Thrustmaster offer is so much more coherent now (yes it is a tad lower quality, but so much cheaper !)

I won't say thanks to Fanatec for treating their loyal european customers like this as this price increase has not been made in a fair manner at all... It is a sudden traitorous increase after customers have bought their base without knowing the accessories would cost +30-40% than what they expected at the moment they bought the base, and the prices increase only affects prices in euros because this money is not welcome anymore at Fanatec who now prefers dollars... Be assured the global amount of orders will remain as comfortable as it was before for Fanatec, it is just the balance between european and non-european orders that will change significantly...

edited March 2015
    Here are some facts:

May 2014: Euro/USD 1,3862
    March 2015: Eur/USD 1,0664

If a product costs 100 USD to manufacture it was 72,46 € in May 2014 and now we have to pay 93,77 €

This is a cost increase of 29,41 %

It is that simple. Nothing else.

• @Thomas

Not sure about that. Some things can and should only be replaced by professionals and the exchange can cause more damage than it would help.
    Hi Thomas,
    can you please tell more about the improvements of the upcoming v2 pedals charge? :)
  • shame shame, I had a lot on my wishlist
    but as I can not forget it currently
  • edited March 2015

@Thomas You mentioned the new V2 pedals will have improvements. Will you sell a "maintenance kit" for current v2 owners allowing them to improve their V2 pedals? I would like to purchase this if the option is offered?

So if people pre order the CSP V2, expected 31/05/2015, they will get an improved version from the current version ? Cause THAT would clear out the 42% price difference in stead of 20 to 30%

Or expected later on this year...

No further comment on the CSP :-)

• You are comparing the CSW B V2 which is fully made of CNC machiened metal with a wheel which is fully made of plastic Of course there is a price difference but you also get a performance difference.

The ClubSport series should only be compared with similar high-end products and even with the new prices our products are priced very competitive.

Our answer to the increased prices will be to develop cheaper products so we can keep our customers happy and lower the entry level to use a Fanatec wheel. Therefore you can expect to see a full line of new products which can be produced more cost efficient but still has unique features.

But we live NOW and most of us are awaiting XOne rim...so feature plans don't go for us...we wanna play PCars when it hits the shelves...not wait to buy it after a yaer past date... ;)

The load cells of the csp's are the weakest link...that ain't high end if you have to buy every 6 to 8 months a new one...

50 to 80€... I can live with that....but 110€ more expensive ?????? insane

I have a V2 and I'll be playing pCars right on release date, just to make you feel better!

:O)
  • Prices are free so obviously, we've nothing to say.

May 2010 : EUR/USD = 1,1934
    April 2011 : EUR/USD = 1,4791
    + 24,95%
    Don't remember that prices went down in this period...

Costs  for 2 years warranty ? Cannot be a justification if products are well made.

But as I said, prices are free. But the investment that I was ready to make is now totally impossible.

:-h
  • Natalie BNatalie B Member, Moderator, Betatester
    @Thomas

Do you offer an upgrade service where the user can send in their V2 pedals and have them professionally upgraded?

I must admit, I've done nothing but support fanatec, encourage us to try to keep positive and even in here just moments ago I was defending both you and fanatec from some of the unnecessary abuse ...

But im beginning to get confused and I'm not sure who's right (and I'm beginning to feeling deflated) as this/these conversation seem to be very 1 sided?

Are you suggesting that anyone who bought the current equipment is/was essentially sold the last of the old stock, only to have it replaced with new improved stock at a higher price, with no option to upgrade to those sold the end of line stock?

I'm not sure that's what you meant to say, but it kind of reads that way... if so... :(

Will there perhaps be an upgrade program or a maintenance upgrade for current owners then, anything to accommodate those who did fund the purchasing of the remaining stock of old models? I'm not asking for details of the changes, just the knowledge to that while we stand here supporting you, funding you and defending you... That you would at least perhaps extend the same olive branch to us x :)

Hi Thomas, dont blame me; but I told you ;)

the step you decided to do is financially absolutely correct; but the metrics are not smart!

The is a true statistic on Apple Apps, that the total revenue is the same for one "app" if you choose 99 Eurocent or 1,49 or 5,99 Euro.

The difference is just the amount of buy´d copies. 

The best result was and still is the 99 Cent version; why? because it was ranked highest in selling numbers and the marketing and customer awareness is really high. Even with a lower margin the overall score was much higher and the awareness also.

Ok, of course an "app" cannot be compared with your products, but I would have decided a pricing solution between "max" and "minimum", maybe an increase of 20% with the commitment of reducing pricing when the exchange rate changes. This would reduce the cease of existing orders and waiting customer orders. So what is really important?

1. To increase the number of orders; the higher the orders the cheaper the production, due to better negotiation procurement with partners. There lies the margin Thomas!
    2. The higher the sales numbers are the more customers will show the wheel to friends and family, which will increase the number of sales (without marketing costs!).
    3. Fix your pricing numbers and keep fair! Sorry if I am wrong (just read the posts).
    4. Since there is just a limited sales number possible (not like the "apps" thing) which you hopefully know about your possible market (keyword: not the cheapest but not the most expensive, probably in the first third), which fits great to your Company (just my two cents :) )

Keep in mind, there is no possibility to loose customers faster than over the internet. Think of the "mass" of customers who will want to buy your wheel but will be disappointed of the pricing and will save this in their minds (without reading your explanation, which is just right), this is not smart from my opinion.

In your case I would row back and correct the pricing and poste an apology, this would gain empathy, but you should have a good explanation especially on you website.

I can really understand your decision (probably after talking to the financial manager), but these guys really don't understand the market and less the feelings about such a product and commercial dependencies! Thomas; put yourself in the position of an average customer (who has daily costs for rent, mobile phone, kids, etc. etc.), would you buy your product at this price-range if you see this product just as a deflection of the daily work? For me for example, I have the claim to drive when I have time (and I have very little time) but when I drive, I want to have the best feeling possible, whiteout spending a fortune. The border is very narrow Thomas, between making margin and loosing unnecessary revenue! So please don't forget the other revenue drivers (such as: a much larger market base, making competitors life harder etc.).

I bought the wheel base 2 from the beginning (also the shifter V.01) and never tried it because of the lack of Xbox One wheel and will pay any price if the quality is similar to the GT wheels for PC. But believe me I am not the role model for selling your products.

Conclusion: Thomas; come down of your much to high horse (German expression), for most of your customers driving simulations are just a small part of their private time invest, and the pricing is a very relevant point regarding numbers and procurement!

Best regards
    Alexander
  • was going to upgrade my cv1 to a v2 this weekend...i''ll hold out for an accuforce now,  jeeeez.
  • Over the past 24 hours ive talked to tons of sim racers about the price hike. Obviously the euro is in trouble and I understand the explanation. Although I still think its not 100% the full story. The overwhelming in fact 100% response is that this pushes the price too high for the product. Too far away from the thrustmaster lower cost\spec and much closer to the accuforce style products. Sadly fanatic will be fine as the console market is about to erupt and the demand in America will outstrip supply. Sadly Europeans are out in the cold. Not fully the companies fault but in some way yes by doing big build up to product release (hype\codes) which is good business. If I had bought a base and was waiting on an xbox rim I would be livid.
  • Es muss was muss und das keiner über Erhöhungen begeistert ist....Versucht euch nicht zu Rechtfertigen, den wen es um Geld geht findet man kein Verständnis und kein Argument was gut genug wäre, als das es akzeptiert werden könnte.  

• No further comment on the CSP :-)

• As allways...hinting and then telling nothing any more. THAT makes it even more suspicious on blowing up CSP prices...quick sale on the final V2 batch before you're announcing the CSP V3 !!!
    Damn am I glad I made a GREAT deal on a complete used set of  2 rims, V1.5 base, custom made seq shifter and CSP V2...and only needing the CSPs...and sell the rest. So I will only need to buy the new X1 rim to start out with, and not to buy the overpriced CSP V2....to find out that in about 3 months suddenly CSP V3s are up for sale!!!!
    So everyone who just got the V2s kinda get screwed too....
    I'm done posting on the blogs...I'll only check to see if in upcomming Monday or Tuesday the XOne wheel announcement will be made....which I even doubt more and more now..so I'll just wait it out when available...
  • Hi Thomas,

first of all, I understand and accept the reasons why you have to raise the prices. 

And I understand the irritation of the most comments.

But we all have to understand that most resources are paid in USD as it is with petrol for example.

Some examples:

The Aluminium price in EUR raised by 27.5 % in the last 24 month while the price in USD just raised by 0.8 %

Copper  EUR +15.6% , USD -8.6%  -> difference 24.5%

Other metal price trends are very similar.

The resource market is global, not local. And the currency on that market is usually USD not EUR.

So if  you calculate your prices in EUR, the production costs are increased by higher resource costs.

And If you calculate your prices in USD, you have to react on the decreased currency rate.

Conclusion is similar in both cases. You have to raise the price in EUR if you want to make profit.

Or you have to build less qualitative products.

I prefer the higher quality...

Of course the new prices are annoying. But we should respect Fanatecs decision. And I have high respect to everyone who has not the willingness to pay the much higher prices.

Best regards

Andreas

• Hi,

Current products are supported on Next gen consoles. They are listed on the project cars website, it was announced last week.

If Fanatec sold 10x more products in Europe than the States then increasing price in one region might make sense.

No, next gen consoles aren't even out yet and are many years away. Not sure what rock you've been under.
  • Over the past 24 hours ive talked to tons of sim racers about the price hike. Obviously the euro is in trouble and I understand the explanation. Although I still think its not 100% the full story. The overwhelming in fact 100% response is that this pushes the price too high for the product. Too far away from the thrustmaster lower cost\spec and much closer to the accuforce style products. Sadly fanatic will be fine as the console market is about to erupt and the demand in America will outstrip supply. Sadly Europeans are out in the cold. Not fully the companies fault but in some way yes by doing big build up to product release (hype\codes) which is good business. If I had bought a base and was waiting on an xbox rim I would be livid.
    Seeing as an accuforce doesn't even work on an XO, what point are you trying to make? You want to pay almost 3 times the cost for 1/3 the compatibility of current gen platforms.
  • As allways...hinting and then telling nothing any more. THAT makes it even more suspicious on blowing up CSP prices...quick sale on the final V2 batch before you're announcing the CSP V3 !!!
    Damn am I glad I made a GREAT deal on a complete used set of  2 rims, V1.5 base, custom made seq shifter and CSP V2...and only needing the CSPs...and sell the rest. So I will only need to buy the new X1 rim to start out with, and not to buy the overpriced CSP V2....to find out that in about 3 months suddenly CSP V3s are up for sale!!!!
    So everyone who just got the V2s kinda get screwed too....
    I'm done posting on the blogs...I'll only check to see if in upcomming Monday or Tuesday the XOne wheel announcement will be made....which I even doubt more and more now..so I'll just wait it out when available...
    Are you brand spanking new to being a consumer? In your world technology should be stagnant right?
  • Hi,

No, next gen consoles aren't even out yet and are many years away. Not sure what rock you've been under.
    Jason, 

The PS4 and Xbox one are widely referred to as "next generation" consoles. Are you just being pedantic? 

I would think you know exactly what I am referring to. Or maybe you have been under the rock?

• Hi,

Jason, 

The PS4 and Xbox one are widely referred to as "next generation" consoles. Are you just being pedantic? 

I would think you know exactly what I am referring to. Or maybe you have been under the rock?

They are current gen consoles, PS3 and 360 are last gen
  • Selling something at a cheaper price will bring in more customers and therefore, more profit. Take Black Friday for instance, even though its nothing to do with this. Its basic economic strategy.

You guys must have a huge pre-order list so why don't you use that to your advantage and give out deals that people will be talking about, of course you have to make a profit, any company needs a profit but there is a certain extent to which a consumer can go. How about free delivery? Or lowering the price on certain weeks. These are the deals that consumers want, and we all know you make alot of profit on just making the base. 

I was going to be a customer, but unfortunately your prices and pretty long wait time for something that is in demand by alot of people don't bode well with me. You're a company which is inbetween Thrustmaster and the top tiers. You may have lost a bit of custom with your announcement.

All the best
  • While I understand the reasoning behind your decisions Thomas, I'm still left puzzled. I am a fairly new Fanatec customer who has just pre ordered and paid for the CSW V2 on March 19. The estimated delivery date is set for May 15. Now I have 2 questions:

-Will I have to pay more?
    -Will the shipment of my order be delayed, as now it says June 16 in the store?

I hope someone can answer my questions, if not I'm going to contact support.
  • Hi..was really happy at last weeks announcement on fanatec wheels and products being available on ps4 .So i speedily went online to look at your amazing products and build quality.Next step was to choose what wheel and pedals i could afford with my budget. so i choose the forza motorsport wheel & club sport pedals ..very nice ! .. But to find wheel isnt available and the pedals are pre order only .. total price once converted to queen's sterling was 331pounds . thought yeah i can deal with that .. as the products look well made and add a bit of quality for nxt gen racing !And would be prepared to waiit as project cars is taking its time to surface..time was against me so thought it best to make a proper enquiry the following day .. had a really good nights sleep dreaming of what is on the horizon .. only to find the next day my budget of 331 pounds sterling had amazingly jumped to 452 pounds sterling . shocked and upset by the HUGE increase in price.i decided it best not to dangle anymore carrots in front of me and cancel any designs on nxt gen racing .. im just not prepared to fall in the trap of nxt gen console and the mass marketing ploys that fester theese days . it would cost for next generation set up just short of 1000 british pounds sterling .mmm i thought thrustmaster .. no not even going there as i dont like the cheaply made plastic toys that are ridiculously overpriced . so everything is on hold at mo .as i dont like getting ripped off and will be keeping my hard earned cash firmly in my wallet .I fully understand fanatec statement about the problems surrounding the euro (all european countries were warned that it was a bad idea going down this route )! so glad we didnt fall into the trap of the euro currency .. but it still affects our economy and we are not in it .. so it looks like i will be waiting a long time for the gaming industry and partners to sort themselves out .not bothered how long it takes as waited long enough already . and after all its only gaming .must say though the timing of announcements and disappointments are compulsory in the gaming market now . and has put me off completely as i never know who is telling the truth anymore as lies and mass marketing ploys are what its all about now .. Hoping for some common sense in the future .. Fanatec should make miillions from nxt gen racing .. once you have made your hansome profits and bought your sailing yacht . maybe its best that you move your production activity to a country where it is more sustainable to operate . and still make a tidy profit .JM#7