Podium DD1 Auction dates UPDDATE 1 *IMPORTANT*

Comments

• edited November 2018
    Update! I won without bidding. Somehow I won under the first batch price for the second batch item.
  • This could be a very long night since it is unlimited at $970+ Many are still ending above that.
    I mean given that 971 > 970, we've had like 1 or 2 in the first go around and 0 in the reset.
  • Sorry I am so confused. So I won a bid at $1071 that I though I was biding for a lower price($970 I think). This bid is not valid since it is above pre-order price?? Can anyone clarify?
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    Chad Jock said:
    Highest you'll pay is $1000... Auction needs a cut-off at that price
    There is no cut off, the units above MSRP are simply invalid.

Working as intended?

Some people are perhaps overenthusiastic. But there is a danger of rapidly overbidding in this way, as the 'winner' is prevented from participating in the next units.

I strongly recommend that everyone considers their clicks VERY carefully, particularly when the counter is still above 30 seconds.
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    Oh wow, I guess I got the one for $4191, go me!!!!

Now I can't bid at all.
    Joel 

can you please explain to all of us why you bid at that price? 

Was your intention really to place a serious bid and are you prepared to pay that much money?
  • #30 just went for $961
  • Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    Thomas you still awake (:|
  • I need to go to bed but I really need a DD way below MSRP instead lol
  • #31 just went for $951
  • Joe Cole said:
    #31 just went for $951
    Looks like they are falling by 10 each auction now

• #32 just went for $951
  • Oh wow, I guess I got the one for $4191, go me!!!!

Now I can't bid at all.
    Joel 

Was your intention really to place a serious bid and are you prepared to pay that much money?
    No, at that point I was just seeing if the bid actually worked, because I hadn't seen a bid be stable enough to count yet.  Since I'd been following the auctions closely I knew that bids over $1000 were going to be discounted as invalid so I thought I'd test the system to see if I could actually have a winning bid if only for an instant.
  • Doesn’t look like there will be any killer deals to be had, with just 30 units being sold for less than $970. Still gonna wait and see!
  • well, It worked too well for me because I ended up winning *two dd1's at over $1k each. I've sent a message to Fanatec asking the one of these dd1's be refunded. I'm hoping this is fixed very quickly and with little hassle.
    As I understood the rules I would'nt be able to pay more than the pre-order price of *$970. that should be fixed too.

*" We will stop the auction sessions after 30 units (for US) and 45 units (for Europe) reach an end price below $970 (970€).*
    *- You will be able to see the previous winning bid values.*
    *- Any bids above the regular pre-order price are automatically invalid.*
    *- If you win an auction, it is not possible to bid for another unit.*

• Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    well, It worked too well for me because I ended up winning *two dd1's at over $1k each. I've sent a message to Fanatec asking the one of these dd1's be refunded. I'm hoping this is fixed very quickly and with little hassle.
    As I understood the rules I would'nt be able to pay more than the pre-order price of *$970. that should be fixed too.

*" We will stop the auction sessions after 30 units (for US) and 45 units (for Europe) reach an end price below $970 (970€).*
    *- You will be able to see the previous winning bid values.*
    *- Any bids above the regular pre-order price are automatically invalid.*
    *- If you win an auction, it is not possible to bid for another unit.*

Everything over retail is nullified.
  • I somehow won #32 at 951. Email said 1071, but logging in the store shows 951. At least that's some discount. Anyone know how long we have to pay for these? Was hoping for a black Friday deal on pedals or wheel and hoping I can pay at that time to save on shipping.
  • Dear Fanatec,

I am watching your current US auctions, it cannot work the way you are trying to do that (well at least not without a lot of frustration for the initial bidders getting disqualified from the game due to how your current algorithm is made and the high number of potential bidders, but also for valid bids but for which winner couldn't really decide the amount he wanted to bid).

Please let me suggest an algorithm:

Step 1:
    - clients can choose a bid from a drop down list ranging from $1 to $970
    - clients see a 20sec timer (time to place the bid)
    - clients can check/uncheck a checkbox for confirming they want to place a bid (of the value set with the drop down list)
    - when checkbox is checked, drop down list becomes locked (to currently selected bid)
    - checkbox can be unchecked at anytime of course (that would cancel any bidding, regardless if you have selected a bid amount or not in the drop down list)
    - when timer ends, clients bids are sent to server

Step 2:
    - server wait for 10s (or whatever relevant time) to receive/process all bids sent from clients
    - clients see a waiting message (like "server processing bids")
    - when processing timer ends, display highest current bid on clients browsers
    - if one or more bids have reached maximum allowed bid -> all max bids win this auction, then go back to step 1 for next bid.
    - if highest bid is lower than max allowed bid, go to step 3

Step 3:
    - similar to step 1 but drop-down bid list should now range from current bid + 10 to max possible bid.

Step 4:
    - similar to step 2 except that if no new bid was placed then the highest current bidder(s) are the winner(s) for this auction -> then go back to step 1 for next bid
    - if new bids were placed, repeat step 3&4 until either max possible bid is reached or until no new bid is placed  -> then go back to step 1 for next bid

Notes:
    - you can still have the system preventing winners to participate on next auctions.
    - when an auction is won, you can display to clients browsers the number of bidders who won this auction
    - at all time you can display the number of remaining bids below the lowest bid you have set as auction rule (like if 25 auctions are allowed below a given price, you remove 1 to that displayed number each time this happens so people know how many chances they have left to participate in an aunction).
    - for step 3, you could decide to whether let everyone place a new bid OR just people who placed an initial bid at step 1 OR just bidders who placed a bid at previous step (for exemple: 10 inital bids -> 10 bidders can participate into a 1st bid increasement -> if another increasement is needed then only 6 (for example) bidders who participated in previous increasement can increase their bid again, and so on until current auction ends)
    - it should take less characters to write this code than it took to explain the algorithm in plain english :p

This would get rid of the many issues with your current system with bidders not even being able to bid the amount they decide (because bid is increasing too fast and because of latency). Also bids over max allowed bid wouldn't happen as clients would use the drop-down list to select their bid. And above all: bidders would be able to place the exact bid they want to place, and have 20sec to do that (while still not dramatically increasing the duration of the auction, if increasing it at all. I'm sure it would even be faster than current algorithm more of the time, because with current algorithm when auction reach stable amount the timer can be reset to 60s by every new bid placed when the timer was like 1s left).
  • 8 units now sold for less than $970. Lowest was $941 so far.
    Thank you for the great feedback, Fred

In fact our system works perfectly fine for people which are just a bit patient and of course not placing non-sense bids.

As a general rule, you should not bid if the counter is above 30 seconds.

In case the price goes above your personal limit you just need to wait.for another auction and bid again. 

It is natural that prices will go down as demand goes down. 
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    I somehow won #32 at 951. Email said 1071, but logging in the store shows 951. At least that's some discount. Anyone know how long we have to pay for these? Was hoping for a black Friday deal on pedals or wheel and hoping I can pay at that time to save on shipping.
    We will ensure that the winning values are corrected when the session is complete. You can certainly wait until Black Friday. I recommend that you pay for the unit before the pre-order period is over. Please note that products that we already have in stock are generally shipped immediately, so if you would like items to be sent together with your Podium wheel base please contact the sales team via the email webshop (at) fanatec (dot) com.
    Joe Cole said:
    8 units now sold for less than $970. Lowest was $941 so far.
    Actually 10 as we had 2 units in batch #1

The next batch will be big so we dont have to reset the list again.
  • I think the auction is working as designed, as long as you read and understood the terms beforehand.
  • I think the way the auction is going right now is what Thomas envisioned it would go, and IMO basically validates the way they set this auction up.  The problems at the beginning looked to be mostly to be spam clickers and people who didn't read the auction rules. A few got caught up in thinking "this is borked, but I am going to click anyways"....but you have to be careful because you just may end up winning an invalid auction :).

After those people got cleared out things have settled down...

...but not settled down enough because it doesn't look like I will be able to get a DD1 for $200 ;)
  • Wenchuan QiWenchuan Qi Member
    edited November 2018
    Update:
    The price in bid confirmation email is wrong. "Not Paid won bids" section shows correct price to be paid.
  • ...but not settled down enough because it doesn't look like I will be able to get a DD1 for $200 ;)

Sigh... same.
  • Oh wow, I guess I got the one for $4191, go me!!!!

Now I can't bid at all.
    Joel 

Also I now have the honor of winning the highest and lowest auctions you've run as I was the one who won the $5 v3i auction last holidays.
  • @Thomas Jackermeier

Yes the current system starts to work now, but only after a lot of people have initially been disqualified from continuing bidding because at the very beginning of the auctions, when there are still a lot of bidders, the system go crazy and people are just not able to bid the amount they really would like to bid. I'd guess people could place a bid at 300 but end bidding for 700 due to latency and how crazy fast current bid amount is changing.

Of course things would go smoothly if everyone was stricly following the good sense rules you are giving in your post, but I don't think you can reasonably expect this to happen when the auctions begins with certainly hundreds of bidders.

That's sad because many people who were disqualified will certainly be angry as most of them certainly were just trying their best to place a single bid at reasonable a price. But they just couldn't do it.
  • Hope next auction for Europe will has the same quantity of units. I find 50$ discount is a good deal!

• That's sad because many people who were disqualified will certainly be angry as most of them certainly were just trying their best to place a single bid at reasonable a price. But they just couldn't do it.
    Meh, looks like when it's working people settle into a $50-60 off window of what they are willing to pay.  No real deals to be had, nobody who wanted to bid $300 was ever going to win anything.
    I believe the system must have something wrong. I just won the 41th DD1, my bid was $941. Then I received an email saying that  "Your winning bid was: $ 981.00". The email also says "2. Go to My account    3. Click “Not Paid Won Bids” at the bottom of the page". However, nothing is there.
    I can confirm that there is an issue related with this which is under investigation 
    but we can assure you that you only have to pay the actual auction result.