Porsche 918 RSR Wheel Creaking

A question for any official Fanatec staff member:

I took delivery of a new Porsche 918 RSRE wheel about two weeks ago, which I run on a Podium DD1 wheelbase. Yesterday, I noticed it was starting to make creaking noises under higher cornering loads (though still pretty moderate – running Assetto Corsa with FFB set at 45-50 and wheel force at 80).

Are there any screws or bolts that I can look at tightening myself without invalidating the warranty on the wheel?

Comments

• Do you have any idea which part exactly does the creaking? Where does the sound come from?

• Hi Remco. Thanks for replying.

It's really difficult to determine exactly where the sound is coming from, but I can feel something creaking as well as hear it. I suspect there's one creak coming from the plastic cover at the rear of the wheel (that runs around the edge of the paddle shifters) and possibly another coming from where the hub attaches to the wheel itself.

Obviously it's impossible to see anything there when the noise is happening, but it feels like something is moving under sustained cornering forces during turn in.

I'd like to see if the hub is fully tight, but I don't want to pull anything apart and void the warranty. I also don't have any idea how you get to the right bolts.
  • You can always try and see whether any visible bolts are loose, just try and tighten them with little force, this won't void any warranty.
    If nothing was really loose and the creaking seems to come from inside the rim, just contact Fanatec Support.
  • I have the same problem with my new bmw wheel and dd1.....is there a fix???
  • Unfortunately, I still haven't found a fix Benjamin.
  • I am having the same problem with the Porsche 918 rim on a DD2.

Just like Josh, I'd say it's impossible to know where exactly the creaking sound/feel is coming from, but my guess would be from where the hub is connected to the wheel/board.

The highest forces I ever put on it were ~16Nm in Assetto Corsa, but I'd say it's worse in rF2's sometimes hitchy FFB at 10-12Nm.
    It's hard to imagine that this wheel could take hitchy 25Nm... and if it can't take that, then there should be warning information / precautions in any of the manuals or at the very least on the FAQ page for the wheel and I wouldn't have bought it.
  • Totally agree with all your comments Rene.

The 918RSR rim is listed as being suitable for the Podium wheelbases, but as you say, it creaks even with the FFB at 45% on a DD1. Definitiely not what you expect when you pay this much for a wheel.
  • Hey Josh, I just took my Porsche 918 wheel apart (warranty voided, but whatever...). The hub is connected with two other boards/plates. One of them is very hard to get to, the other one is just the front face plate of the wheel.

Tightening the 4 allen M2.5 screws on the front of the wheel stopped the creaking of my wheel entirely. I would never have guessed that these are connected to rather far away hub at the back, but they are. Try it out.

However, I could not find the issue for the tiny wobble you can get from moving either side of the wheel toward or back from the wheel base [this is separate inaudible problem and I don't really notice this while driving, but it's something that's certainly you'd expect in a 400€ wheel rim].

• Josh OskamJosh Oskam Member
    edited February 2020

Hi Rene. Sorry I never replied to your message, but I've only just seen it. Thanks for the tip on tightening those four screws. I'll give it a go and see if it solves my problem. As it so happens, I haven't noticed the sqeaking and creaking much lately. My original DD1 wheelbase was replaced about a month ago (after the first one failed) and it hasn't happened much since I go it.

Cheers

Josh

• i tighten up 4 screws too little better. Every button moves 1mm or 2mm and they make little sound when wheel calibrates button and the plastic ring. should it be tight, i dont remember my new wheel how was it.