Fanatec Direct Drive

Comments

• I would mainly want to know exact information about console compability, What means "later" in that area, does that means that base itself has to be compatible and that specific base come somehow later, or could any of those dd-bases be possible to made compatible with separate rim-option like with XOne now?

I simply can't see any option than make all bases basically compatible with different platforms, if they then need rim or similar that's ok. But total incompability with certain models would be sheer stupidity.

We who have our wheels bolted to seat can't buy many (wheel-)bases and attach/unattach them all the time.
  • I would mainly want to know exact information about console compability, What means "later" in that area, does that means that base itself has to be compatible and that specific base come somehow later, or could any of those dd-bases be possible to made compatible with separate rim-option like with XOne now?

I simply can't see any option than make all bases basically compatible with different platforms, if they then need rim or similar that's ok. But total incompability with certain models would be sheer stupidity.

We who have our wheels bolted to seat can't buy many (wheel-)bases and attach/unattach them all the time.

:-bd
  • Natalie BNatalie B Member, Moderator, Betatester
    I think the best thing to have ever come out of peripheral exclusivity, is the fact that its clear, that Fanatec are indeed, fighting on our side!

They are pointing out these glaring issues to Sony/MS etc. and while it may take time for the behemoths to move, I do feel that with the unified voice of the customers, and one of the highest quality peripheral manufactures batting for us, we do indeed have a better chance of this becoming a reality, than we would without them.

I know there are many other manufactures making peripherals, however none of them have been as vocal about supporting and unifying their customer base, than Thomas and the Team.
  • Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    Agree 100% Natalie. It is quite insane that these companies expect us to buy separate wheel bases for each console. It is great to know a brand like Fanatec has the end consumer in mind.
  • I think the best thing to have ever come out of peripheral exclusivity, is the fact that its clear, that Fanatec are indeed, fighting on our side!

They are pointing out these glaring issues to Sony/MS etc. and while it may take time for the behemoths to move, I do feel that with the unified voice of the customers, and one of the highest quality peripheral manufactures batting for us, we do indeed have a better chance of this becoming a reality, than we would without them.

I know there are many other manufactures making peripherals, however none of them have been as vocal about supporting and unifying their customer base, than Thomas and the Team.

:-bd :-c
  • Well said Natalie---> I agree 100% =D>
  • Ok, I'm really sorry for raising this most unpopular aspect of this Blog (to those of you using PC or Xbox), but how can it be that the biggest seller of ALL multi-platform racing games is for the PS4 - yet you say Playstation won't recognise an expensive wheel? Lets not forget that this whole industry - including Fanatec - owe their financial success to PS. Without their mass sales volume, most - if not all suppliers of wheel peripherals would be still garage based Niche market companies. You are not selling it well enough Fanatec. For goodness sake, it has to be ALL platform users that can benefit from this technology. After recently trying the CSL Elite wheel for the PS4, I was astounded at how bad it was (compared to my Clubsport V1). It was almost in Thrustmaster territory. I would stake a years salary that most of your sales to date have been for PS users, how about a bit of loyalty, don't desert us now.

Fanatec School Report: MUST TRY HARDER...
  • edited July 2017
    Dont agree with this Graeme.
    The main market for a DD wheel is of course the PC.
    I dont see any casual gamer who invest 200 Euro for a normal PS4 and then spent over 1000 Euro for a wheel base, 400 euro for the Porsche rim and 350 Euro for the V3 pedals. In total you are easily looking at a complete package of nearly 2000 Euro, maybe with the best and strongest DD wheel base even way above that. No casual PS4 gamer would invest this amount of money I'm sure.
    If someone is interested in a DD wheel he will have a powerful gaming pc.... Of course I can be wrong but I doubt that even 1 % of all the PS4 owners who own a racing game on the PS4 would invest 10 times the amount of money of their console...

And again: I'm sure Fanatec didnt decided to pull PS4 compatibility on the DD wheel. That ball is in Sonys hands. And Thomas only stated that the first Gen of DD wheels wont be PS compatible. Maybe the DD v2 in a few years will be compatible with the PS5/PS5 Pro/PS6 or whatever comes in the future.

And btw: why you think that the new CSL E PS4 RW was worse than the CSW v1? It should be far superior performance wise as the old CSW v1 faded the FFB even after just half an hour of gameplay which this new wheel does not... Overall FFB output should also be more than the v1 and for that price you cant expect it to be all metal, and I can assure you, the plastic used on the new PS4 base is really really good plastic. I have both the CSW v2.5 and the CSL E PS4 and I must really say that I am totally impressed with both wheel bases but of course build quality wise a plastic wheel base cant compare to a all metal construction but performance wise they were quite similar, with even more speed on the CSL E PS4 and just slightly less overall torque. Only complain for me is that the CSL E PS4 is louder than the CSW v2.5 but thats expected as it doesnt have an all metal construction which absorbs all the noise.
  • Dont agree with this Graeme.
    The main market for a DD wheel is of course the PC.
    I dont see any casual gamer who invest 200 Euro for a normal PS4 and then spent over 1000 Euro for a wheel base, 400 euro for the Porsche rim and 350 Euro for the V3 pedals. In total you are easily looking at a complete package of nearly 2000 Euro, maybe with the best and strongest DD wheel base even way above that. No casual PS4 gamer would invest this amount of money I'm sure.
    If someone is interested in a DD wheel he will have a powerful gaming pc.... Of course I can be wrong but I doubt that even 1 % of all the PS4 owners who own a racing game on the PS4 would invest 10 times the amount of money of their console...

And again: I'm sure Fanatec didnt decided to pull PS4 compatibility on the DD wheel. That ball is in Sonys hands. And Thomas only stated that the first Gen of DD wheels wont be PS compatible. Maybe the DD v2 in a few years will be compatible with the PS5/PS5 Pro/PS6 or whatever comes in the future.

And btw: why you think that the new CSL E PS4 RW was worse than the CSW v1? It should be far superior performance wise as the old CSW v1 faded the FFB even after just half an hour of gameplay which this new wheel does not... Overall FFB output should also be more than the v1 and for that price you cant expect it to be all metal, and I can assure you, the plastic used on the new PS4 base is really really good plastic. I have both the CSW v2.5 and the CSL E PS4 and I must really say that I am totally impressed with both wheel bases but of course build quality wise a plastic wheel base cant compare to a all metal construction but performance wise they were quite similar, with even more speed on the CSL E PS4 and just slightly less overall torque. Only complain for me is that the CSL E PS4 is louder than the CSW v2.5 but thats expected as it doesnt have an all metal construction which absorbs all the noise.
    Very well put. I'd only add that I don't agree with, "the biggest seller of ALL multi platform racing games is for the PS4". PS4 may have sold more units than Xbox One but no racing game on PS4 can touch Forza sales numbers. And Forza MS/Horizon user base grows each day. What racing game(s) on PS4 can boast the same numbers? If I'm wrong then I'll retract this statement.
  • Rami AholaRami Ahola Member
    edited July 2017
    It's not that you wouldn't mainly use that DD-wheel on PC. But there is many many ppl who also have consoles, PS4 and XOne, with that powerful gaming pc. And this huge amount of ppl around the world need "all in one" wheel. 

It's important to have wheel/base which you can use on all platforms, especially when it's bolted to racing seat(you don't want to install/uninstall it all the time). I don't see any problem, actually it's just natural for me, to first drive some ie iRacing, rF2, AutoM or AC on pc side and after that want to drive some Forza etc in XOne's side, or something on PS4. 

And when talking about price, DD-wheel will be high price-item in itself already, if there would be some 100-200€ more to price from console compablity, it would totally ok. It's no brainer.
  • It's not that you wouldn't mainly use that DD-wheel on PC. But there is many many ppl who also have consoles, PS4 and XOne, with that powerful gaming pc. And this huge amount of ppl around the world need "all in one" wheel. 

It's important to have wheel/base which you can use on all platforms, especially when it's bolted to racing seat(you don't want to install/uninstall it all the time). i don't any problem, actually it's just natural for me, to first drive some ie iRacing, rF2, AutoM or AC on pc side and after that want to drive some Forza etc in XOne's side, or something on PS4. 

And when talking about price, DD-wheel will be high price-item in itself already, if there would be some 100-200€ more to price from console compablity, it would totally ok. It's no brainer.
    What people are forgetting is that Fanatec doesn't have any problem producing a all-in-one base. It's the console manufacturers that have the problem with this approach. The debate/issue should be taken to them directly. Complaining here that PS and Xbox compatibility should always be included doesn't really accomplish anything. I'm guessing Thomas has already spoken to Sony about the DD base to be able to say PS compatibly won't be included. That's a Sony decision.
  • Thank you for saying that clearly enough for the most incoherent to understand. And it's on top page. Soo now. We can get on with the matter at hand yeah.
  • Sony is the big problom!!!
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    Let's not give up the hope about a multi platform DD. Sometimes it takes just a little bit of time. And sometimes things come sooner than expected. ;)
  • Let's not give up the hope about a multi platform DD. Sometimes it takes just a little bit of time. And sometimes things come sooner than expected. ;)
    Oi oi..... nudge,nudge  <:-P
  • edited July 2017
    I was Going to Skip DD but if its Multi Platform Take My $$$!!! Im Ready and waiting for the Day its announced!!!
  • I was Going to Skip DD but if its Multi Platform Take My $$$!!! Im Ready and waiting for the Day its announced!!!
    Lorrell, Iam just intrested as to why you would of skipped the DD wheel if it wouldnt be a multi-platform.(not saying that it will be)
    Reason I ask this is because you had the V2 and then moved onto the V2.5 knowing that at some time the DD wheel would of come out.
    Is it because most V1's in any hardware product are a testing for consumers .... ??
  • edited July 2017
    I was Going to Skip DD but if its Multi Platform Take My $$$!!! Im Ready and waiting for the Day its announced!!!
    Lorrell, Iam just intrested as to why you would of skipped the DD wheel if it wouldnt be a multi-platform.(not saying that it will be)
    Reason I ask this is because you had the V2 and then moved onto the V2.5 knowing that at some time the DD wheel would of come out.
    Is it because most V1's in any hardware product are a testing for consumers .... ??
    Not at all The v2 is a Really Good wheel --->  the v2.5 is a Great wheel -->> I have had My v2 since 2014 when it first launched and its still Going Strong!!!  but when i read that the v2.5 has a 1000Htz  refresh rate -VS-  the v2 @500Htz refresh rate i decided it was time to upgrade--> Note: i did some research before i placed My order and noticed that DD wheels have 1000Htz refresh rate also So IMO at this point the Big difference is only that the v2.5 is Belt drive and Not a pure DD.

With Sim Racing Games FFB physics evolving/ becoming more advanced and able to deliver more detailed FFB a wheel with 1000Htz Refresh rate will allow you to feel more --->  We are at the point that games are Starting to Demand a wheel with a Higher Refresh rate for best Performance and Maximum Subtle FFB feel ---> I focus on Subtle FFB Feel more because the stronger FFB forces will be felt anyway but its the subtle FFB Feel Tire Scrub, Loss of grip that define the stronger FFB forces like Weight transfer to let you know whats going on with the car/ when to push  vs when to back off.

Why i would have skipped the DD wheel -->I understand that a DD wheel will or is Supposed have certain advantages over a belt Drive wheel but the v2.5 FFB feel and Accuracy is soooo Good that i feel if Fanatec Never mentioned a DD wheel  i don't think i would be missing anything at this point and time because Sim Racing Game Physics have Not yet reached the level that Demands a DD wheel for best Feel and Performance. IMO No matter what wheel you have It can only be as good as the Game physics and Game FFB feel allow it to be <-- Pcars is a great example of this. --> for me a DD Multi platform wheel is the only way to Evolve my set up if a CSW PS4 Compatible Rim is Not Possible--> I have the XB1 Hub and Forza Rim and I would Even be willing to buy a Premium PS4 Rim to make the V2.5 compatible Even though this makes no sense because since i went PC i have No desire or intent to race on console except those days when I miss racing with the Old PS4 crew.

Because the v2.5 is 1000Htz and DD wheels are 1000Htz the only clear Advantage i see that DD wheels have is in Total Power but that's Ok i cant even race with the V2 or the V2.5 at 100% FFB power.

I think the Fanatec DD wheel will be a game Changer for sure and will set a new industry wide DD wheel bench mark!!!
  • edited July 2017
    I think the Fanatec DD wheel will be a game Changer for sure and will set a new industry wide DD wheel bench mark!!!
    I would bet on that! And I start saving my money already. Because recently I've spent all my savings...

• Maybe for the DD range, the shifter could have a motor from the Clubsport v3 pedals to simulate a crunch when not using clutch while shifting? I don't know if this can be achieved but would be awesome to see this implemented in the new shifter.
  • Maybe for the DD range, the shifter could have a motor from the Clubsport v3 pedals to simulate a crunch when not using clutch while shifting? I don't know if this can be achieved but would be awesome to see this implemented in the new shifter.
    That would be very cool
  • Lots of great suggestions articulated here. What I think is important as others have said is to strike the right balance between adjustability and complexity. Not everyone is going to want the most powerful torque that Popeye can handle, however I think everyone would, most importantly, want the flexibility to be able to choose, adjust, maximize, and not lose fidelity regardless of the overall torque strength selected. The other aspect that would be game changing would be a force feedback braking system or other technology that can enhance the perception of braking beyond the visual and audio currently available? Surely technology may have evolved enough that there are new opportunities to simulate the realities of braking that are easily differentiated, measureable, reproducible and driver exploitable? I look forward to being amazed! Cheers
  • I was Going to Skip DD but if its Multi Platform Take My $$$!!! Im Ready and waiting for the Day its announced!!!
    Not at all The v2 is a Really Good wheel --->  the v2.5 is a Great wheel -->> I have had My v2 since 2014 when it first launched and its still Going Strong!!!  but when i read that the v2.5 has a 1000Htz  refresh rate -VS-  the v2 @500Htz refresh rate i decided it was time to upgrade--> Note: i did some research before i placed My order and noticed that DD wheels have 1000Htz refresh rate also So IMO at this point the Big difference is only that the v2.5 is Belt drive and Not a pure DD.

With Sim Racing Games FFB physics evolving/ becoming more advanced and able to deliver more detailed FFB a wheel with 1000Htz Refresh rate will allow you to feel more --->  We are at the point that games are Starting to Demand a wheel with a Higher Refresh rate for best Performance and Maximum Subtle FFB feel ---> I focus on Subtle FFB Feel more because the stronger FFB forces will be felt anyway but its the subtle FFB Feel Tire Scrub, Loss of grip that define the stronger FFB forces like Weight transfer to let you know whats going on with the car/ when to push  vs when to back off.

Why i would have skipped the DD wheel -->I understand that a DD wheel will or is Supposed have certain advantages over a belt Drive wheel but the v2.5 FFB feel and Accuracy is soooo Good that i feel if Fanatec Never mentioned a DD wheel  i don't think i would be missing anything at this point and time because Sim Racing Game Physics have Not yet reached the level that Demands a DD wheel for best Feel and Performance. IMO No matter what wheel you have It can only be as good as the Game physics and Game FFB feel allow it to be <-- Pcars is a great example of this. --> for me a DD Multi platform wheel is the only way to Evolve my set up if a CSW PS4 Compatible Rim is Not Possible--> I have the XB1 Hub and Forza Rim and I would Even be willing to buy a Premium PS4 Rim to make the V2.5 compatible Even though this makes no sense because since i went PC i have No desire or intent to race on console except those days when I miss racing with the Old PS4 crew.

Because the v2.5 is 1000Htz and DD wheels are 1000Htz the only clear Advantage i see that DD wheels have is in Total Power but that's Ok i cant even race with the V2 or the V2.5 at 100% FFB power.

I knew you had a valid reason and Iam glad that i asked, as I was unaware that the DD wheel would of been 1000htz refresh rate.
    Do you or anyone else know if the three different versions of the Fanatec DD wheels will have this refresh rate, or will the top tier DD wheel be a lil more; Tommy ??
  • edited July 2017

I knew you had a valid reason and Iam glad that i asked, as I was unaware that the DD wheel would of been 1000htz refresh rate.
    Do you or anyone else know if the three different versions of the Fanatec DD wheels will have this refresh rate, or will the top tier DD wheel be a lil more; Tommy ??

Current on the market DD Wheels Accuforce, OSW wheels have 1000Htz refresh rate -->I don't know what Fanatec has up there sleeve but at this point No game that i know of has broken the 1000htz FFB/Physics Refresh rate mark yet---> I read some where that  AMS runs 500hz for the ffb/input refresh rate and 720hz for the physics  you can adjust the Physics settings also to 360 and 180 depending on what your wheel can handle ---> Im Not tooo sure that games will break the 1000Htz FFB/Physics refresh rate in the Near future because We will need  real beefy PC's to be able to handle that. 

It could never hurt to have a wheel that can handle more refresh rate than the game can put out so you know your not missing any FFB detail because the wheel cant keep up.

• Let's not give up the hope about a multi platform DD. Sometimes it takes just a little bit of time. And sometimes things come sooner than expected. ;)

[-O< ^:)^ :-bd

!!!!
  • If the DD could be made so that there is sufficient clearance between the motor and the wheel disconnect for the display to be lowered in that space resulting in the display as close to the user as possible.  Increased FOV.
  • If the DD could be made so that there is sufficient clearance between the motor and the wheel disconnect for the display to be lowered in that space resulting in the display as close to the user as possible.  Increased FOV.
    Aha you mean the monitor display. cool :) I thought that you were referring to the motec display. 
  • Why do not you make it PlayStation 4 compatible? That would offer.
  • edited July 2017
    If the DD could be made so that there is sufficient clearance between the motor and the wheel disconnect for the display to be lowered in that space resulting in the display as close to the user as possible.  Increased FOV.
    That would be nice to lower the display in between the wheel rim and the wheel base. Now I'm exactly having the monitor sitting nearly on top of the wheel base with 0.5cm clearance, and still think it is too high as it would not be perfect for the in game instrument cluster. would be nice to have that design so you see the actual gauges through the wheel rim like in real life. Sure going VR would be better but this gives option for many who are using monitors still.

Or maybe simply designed with an option of adding a spacer there, so everyone can choose and set up to what they like respectively.