CSL Elite Steering Wheel McLaren GT3

Comments

• $100 USD for the CSW quick release option seems really high. Add that to a $170 McLaren wheel (which is a good price point I think, maybe a little high for a plastic rim but there is the branding and XBox compatibility to consider) and it comes out to $20 MORE than the Formula Carbon which is all carbon fiber and metal, has adjustable shifter paddles, a nice big display, rumble motors, rev lights, and includes the nicer quick release.

• $100 USD for the CSW quick release option seems really high. Add that to a $170 McLaren wheel (which is a good price point I think, maybe a little high for a plastic rim but there is the branding and XBox compatibility to consider) and it comes out to $20 MORE than the Formula Carbon which is all carbon fiber and metal, has adjustable shifter paddles, a nice big display, rumble motors, rev lights, and includes the nicer quick release.

I do agree the QR is a little more expensive than I'd like, however based on your price comparison you didn't list the benefits of the mclaren over the formula: clutch pedals that can change modes on the fly, lighter than the formula, 2 rotary switches and the OLED screen which, although smaller, I'm wondering if it's customizable in color, contrast and information...I keep wondering "why OLED?" but now I'm wondering if it could be a tachometer as well...

I do agree the QR is a little more expensive than I'd like, however based on your price comparison you didn't list the benefits of the mclaren over the formula: clutch pedals that can change modes on the fly, lighter than the formula, 2 rotary switches and the OLED screen which, although smaller, I'm wondering if it's customizable in color, contrast and information...I keep wondering "why OLED?" but now I'm wondering if it could be a tachometer as well...
    Fair enough, I probably should have prefaced with the fact that I'm on PS4 so the extra rotary switches won't do anything (unless they can now be mapped to a keyboard press). The clutch paddles are cool, but I think for me would just get ignored after the novelty wore off as it just gives my fingers something to worry about other than timing my upshifts at the start. The OLED screen is...small...and kinda funny looking stuck in the middle of the wheel face. Adding the CSW quick release is going to bring the weight up of the McLaren wheel, and to me the weight really isn't a selling point...it's larger diameter compared to the Formula Carbon/Black probably negates much of the weight advantage anyway. I realize these are all subjective things, so for me personally the additional features of the McLaren rim don't add enough value to compete with the Formula wheels, especially considering the Carbon version's premium materials.

But yeah, the CSW quick release would make more sense value-wise if it was priced in the $50-$75 range if ordered by itself, and with a discount for purchasing with a compatible rim. I'm looking forward to see what other rims the Fanatec team are going to surprise us with, and hoping that something in the Podium line with premium materials and construction will catch my eye. I'm eager to replace the stock rim on my CSL PS4 and right now the Formula Carbon is head and shoulders above the rest. But that's just for me, different strokes for different folks and all :)
  • Is the current price of $170 the MRSP or is it going to go up? will there be another pre-order window before march release?

Whoa, whoa, whoa...whoa.

Wasn't it releasing February 15th?!

I'm going to have to end up building an F1 rim out of 80/20 tubing, pvc, and an electrical wiring set-up taken from an old lamp that...

...OK, I'll wait.

EDIT:  Just as an anecdote, the price.  I had it third, but it wasn't that important to me.  Don't get me wrong, with the QR adapter it comes in at about $270 which seemed just right.  I don't think I would have paid too much more, but i do know that I really didn't stop and give it too much thought at the $270 level that I was getting it at.  

The functionality and appearance were much more important to me and I am very excited about my pre-order.

I also noticed the date change a day or so after pre-ordering mine; it happened halfway through the Black Friday weekend sale. My guess is more orders than anticipated came in so they created a 2nd batch to be shipped in March. I assume if it said February when you ordered it then you're in the 1st batch. Hopefully Thomas will confirm or deny this assumption.
  • I ordered one right away since I use Xbox, PS4 and soon PC as well (switrching back from Mac after a long time).
    I hope Fanatec makes some more "Xbox" wheels since those are compatible with all systems.
    A luxury wheel like the Porsche 918 and a classic car wheel (wood maybe) would be really neat!

About the Quick Release Adapter:  I ordered it as well but I guess when I use it with the MacLaren and want to switch to my P1 Elite or PS4 wheel (on my CSL Elite PS4 base) I will have to take it off again?
    That's a bit annoying so I hope Fanatec comes up with an adapter to make those wheels QR compatible or like I said a new high-end Xbox/PS4/PC wheel that works with the QR so I can ditch my two basic wheels.

In any case, I think I'll be collecting a few Xbox/QR compatible wheels! :)
  • The GT3 wheel looks fantastic, and I cant wait to get it. It will be good to have a formula style wheel that works on xbox too.
    I cant wait for the next formula wheel you guys produce, I hope its either Redbull, Mercedes or Ferrari wheel with display.
    Keep up the good work team Fanatec.
  • i tried to order one of these along with the CSL Xbox bundle with the Black Friday deal, managed to order the CSL bundle, but the website kept crashing so never managed to order the GT3 wheel, and now i can't pre-order it. Ive sent Fanatec emails regarding the issue, and they are yet to reply to them, its been over 2 weeks now! Not good at all! 
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    i tried to order one of these along with the CSL Xbox bundle with the Black Friday deal, managed to order the CSL bundle, but the website kept crashing so never managed to order the GT3 wheel, and now i can't pre-order it. Ive sent Fanatec emails regarding the issue, and they are yet to reply to them, its been over 2 weeks now! Not good at all! 
    Robert The site had issues on Friday but did you try again later? The wheel was available until Tuesday (!) 18.00
  • Will it come back for sale? Was waiting for the advent calendar to finish. Hope I'm not to late
  • Thomas, 

Please send a demo of the rim to some youtubers like SIMRACING GIRL, so they make a review and all of us clear ours doubts.

• Thomas, can you speak a little more about the function of the two 12-position rotary switches? Do they switch modes/settings on the wheel, like having layers (or multiple modifier keys) to multiplying the number of functions assignable to each button? I have one on pre-order, but I'm unfamiliar of how sim racing wheels typically utilize these types of controls.
  • Thomas, 

Please send a demo of the rim to some youtubers like SIMRACING GIRL, so they make a review and all of us clear ours doubts.

Yeah, dookie from abgefahren! too
  • I like this product. :)
  • Soon as this becomes available to Order again then I'll be placing It! Got My New CSL Elite PS4 Edition arriving this week so I'll be looking forward to this beautiful McLaren GT3 Rim in the near future! 
  • Thomas, can you speak a little more about the function of the two 12-position rotary switches? Do they switch modes/settings on the wheel, like having layers (or multiple modifier keys) to multiplying the number of functions assignable to each button? I have one on pre-order, but I'm unfamiliar of how sim racing wheels typically utilize these types of controls.
    I would like some clarification on this as well. According to their video they call them rotary switches which would seem to indicate to me that each 12 positions would be a seperate button; think of it like a button box with 12 seperate switches. However on other websites and the product page it would seem to indicate that they are rotary encoders, so in other words they act like the encoder on the funky switch; so each click clockwise would be one button and one click anti-clockwise would be another making it useful for things such as adjustable brake bias.

Thomas would it be possible for you to clarify this for us?
  • Missed the Pre-Order, damn.... hope there is one again with the same price.....

• Hi Thomas, as I can see on the actual product-photos there is no possibility to use the wheel without your (already printed) button caps. It would be great if you can provide button caps without any printed symbol. So we are able to use our own labels. I dont speak about the P an N Buttons.
    I would like some clarification on this as well. According to their video they call them rotary switches which would seem to indicate to me that each 12 positions would be a seperate button; think of it like a button box with 12 seperate switches. However on other websites and the product page it would seem to indicate that they are rotary encoders, so in other words they act like the encoder on the funky switch; so each click clockwise would be one button and one click anti-clockwise would be another making it useful for things such as adjustable brake bias.

Thomas would it be possible for you to clarify this for us?
    I was just thinking this same thing today!!! I too would like further clarification on how the rotary switches work <-- Yes i have this wheel bought and paid for on Pre order also and don't even know exactly what to expect or how it works --> I must have great trust in your products :D
  • I was just thinking this same thing today!!! I too would like further clarification on how the rotary switches work <-- Yes i have this wheel bought and paid for on Pre order also and don't even know exactly what to expect or how it works --> I must have great trust in your products :D
    Same here, ordered right away since I wanted a Formula/GT style rim that works on Xbox anyway.
    But indeed also curious as to the function of these switches.

I can hardly wait for some new Xbox rims to come out since I can use those on my Xbox, PS4 and PC.
    Would love a luxury wheel like the Porsche 918 and a classic car wheel (wood :) ) that are Xbox compatible.
    Not interested in the bulky Xbox hub though, I feel it's going to be replaced by more Xbox wheels anyway.
  • I was just thinking this same thing today!!! I too would like further clarification on how the rotary switches work <-- Yes i have this wheel bought and paid for on Pre order also and don't even know exactly what to expect or how it works --> I must have great trust in your products :D
    Same here, ordered right away since I wanted a Formula/GT style rim that works on Xbox anyway.
    But indeed also curious as to the function of these switches.

I can hardly wait for some new Xbox rims to come out since I can use those on my Xbox, PS4 and PC.
    Would love a luxury wheel like the Porsche 918 and a classic car wheel (wood :) ) that are Xbox compatible.
    Not interested in the bulky Xbox hub though, I feel it's going to be replaced by more Xbox wheels anyway.
    Don't be discouraged by the Assumed heavy weight of the XB1 Hub and rim combo --> I'm using Hub w/Forza rim with the V2.5 and its actually my favorite wheel to use --> I have the Porsche 918 and Formula black rim also but between the Forza Rim Hub combo and the Porsche 918 Rim i like the Forza Rim better its just more comfortable in My hand for long gaming sessions --> its has Much more room where you rest your thumbs to grip the wheel. take note that even though the rim hub combo feels heavier to pick up when i use it with the v2.5 i don't notice any loss of FFB fidelity feel or any kind of performance loss due to the Hub wheel weight  VS the 918 Porsche rim.

i am also looking forwar to trying the new wheel rim when its available --> i wonder will there be a FFB performance increase due to its light weight --> i ordered the QR for it i wonder how much that will affect the total wheel weight 8->
  • edited January 2018
    It has been a short while but still no news, and previews to be found.. would really like to see Simracinggirl or any other well respected reviewer to have a go with the wheel showing us the options, up and/or downsides of the wheel.                                                                                                                             
    P.S. 
    A authentic Thomas Jackermeier autograph on the first batch (or just mine ) would be awesome too! 8->
    :P
  • It has been a short while but still no news, and previews to be found.. would really like to see Simracinggirl or any other well respected reviewer to have a go with the wheel showing us the options, up and/or downsides of the wheel.                                                                                                                             
    P.S. 
    A authentic Thomas Jackermeier autograph on the first batch (or just mine ) would be awesome too! 8->
    Robert agree with you, is time to release a review, all of us know about the quality of the FANTEC products but for some of us that just play in consoles need to be shure how will work the rim with the SIMs the PC guys don't have that problem, so hope Thomas send a pair of it to youtubers to make the reviews.

see you on race track,
  • It has been a short while but still no news, and previews to be found.. would really like to see Simracinggirl or any other well respected reviewer to have a go with the wheel showing us the options, up and/or downsides of the wheel.                                                                                                                             
    P.S. 
    Robert agree with you, is time to release a review, all of us know about the quality of the FANTEC products but for some of us that just play in consoles need to be shure how will work the rim with the SIMs the PC guys don't have that problem, so hope Thomas send a pair of it to youtubers to make the reviews.

see you on race track,
    uhm, but you do know that the McLaren rim did not launched yet? There was never a review from a new product out there before it was released if I remember correctly so dont expect a review coming out soon before the official launch...
  • So alot of people are pre ordering this and they dont even know what the rotary switches do? I want the carbon F1 rim with those analog clutch and those nice shifter levers lol
  • uhm, but you do know that the McLaren rim did not launched yet? There was never a review from a new product out there before it was released if I remember correctly so dont expect a review coming out soon before the official launch...
    Tru, and they have any right to wait untill whenever they want, but many people have taken a leap in the dark to purchase the wheel without actually seeing 1 real image of the item. Many people (like me) have a lot of faith in the awesome stuff they built and just are anxiously waiting on some news updates/information. nothing wrong with that ;)
  • So alot of people are pre ordering this and they dont even know what the rotary switches do? I want the carbon F1 rim with those analog clutch and those nice shifter levers lol
    Do you know how they work on a PS4? Do you know what info the the oled holds, for instance only settings or speed/gear indicator too?
    please share with us
    P.S. 

see you on race track,
    uhm, but you do know that the McLaren rim did not launched yet? There was never a review from a new product out there before it was released if I remember correctly so don't expect a review coming out soon before the official launch...
    Hi Maurice, a think the rim was launch in the moment they open a pre-order purchase and for sure all ready have some of them from my point of view you never send a product to do a public review if is a device that nobody know in this case we know all the specifications, in my case just want to see what use in PS4 and more specific AC and PC2 all the innovations like rotary switch and dual clutch will work for my and other for sure, so I can take the decision to buy in the moment they place it in the store and not have to wait for a  sim make a review, so Thomas please send one of those rim to simracing girl and make us happy.

see you in track!
    Do you know how they work on a PS4? Do you know what info the the oled holds, for instance only settings or speed/gear indicator too?
    please share with us

Oh I dont really know, Im just brainstorming...Im pretty sure the OLED will show speed and gear just like the F1 rims, those red levers seem to only go up and down, i guess with those you can select options while driving (tcs, brake balance, engine mode, turbo pressure regulator, pedal clutch bite etc... etc...) and then regulate those two of those parameters with the 1-12 rotary switches...

But again this is pure speculation, but logical.