CSL Elite McLaren Steering Wheel will ship in June

Comments

• edited May 2018
    So far i am liking this new wheel and quick release adapter.

• So far i am liking this new wheel and quick release adapter.

The only detail I saw is not there is the soft fabric Fanatec use to wrap the wheels, is a shame because I used to cover the wheel after play to keep it protected. 
  • Ian MchaleIan Mchale Member
    edited May 2018
    Hello,
     Can other GT3 Owners please test this. Is it normal to have (Plastic?) creeking and a little bit of flexing when holding grips strong and pushing on grips with my hands/tight grip when racing after only max 3-4h of in track practice / use in the last few days ?
    I just try test now and I looked closer and can see that if I push hard when gripping the handles then the front face of rim comes away from the rear half around the edges were it meets up with the rear half of the rim housing, but maybe only 1mm gap opens up between the front face and rear housing / back of the rim.
     I think maybe Can I suggest for Fanatec to add 4 x extra screw mounting pointing on front wheel face in each corner so they hold it tight to the rear wheel main housing so is no flexing or separation if they make a v2 version ;) OR Can add extra plastic clips or something ?

I still love the wheel and it was even more of a Bargain for us who pre ordered in 2017 with Fanatec Kindly giving us the extra QR for Free because of the extra 7-8 weeks of Delay/wait ;) 

Thankyou Thomas and All of Fanatec ;) ;) ;)
  • I just ordered the McLaren rim now. I want to ask kindly once more to make it happen that I can get also the Firmware update for a Macbook computer because I still have no windows PC ( as a PS4 player, not really needed a windows system so far ). I will buy a PC for sim racing in the future, but for now I have only a Macbook, I want to be able to do the firmware update with it.
    Thanks!
    I do this very easily running Paralles software on my iMac - https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/
    This is certainly a possible solution, but it is very expensive if you just want to update the firmware of some peripherals. You need both software like Parallels (about €80,-) and a copy of Windows (I've seen them as low as another €80,-). I think it would be great for console gamers with a Mac OS desktop or laptop if they could use that to update their firmware.
    Agree. But it's highly doubtful that Fanatec will ever port their Windows app/software over to AppleOS so this really is the only solution.
  • After several hours.
    The steering wheel is simply fantastic.
    All buttons are very easily accessible, without risk of being wrong, which avoids false maneuvers. The handling of all buttons and pallets is very pleasant and give the feeling of quality of precision. Obviously, it's true, that compared to your other wheels, you may be a little lost. Take the time to set up and this will only be a non-constructive criticism. In real life, when you change your car, you end up with a new dashboard and different layouts.
    The look of the steering wheel is far superior to the fact that it is made of plastic. When he is mounted on the base, no one thinks it's plastic. Visually it's very successful, nobody will suspect that you only paid 179 € !
    The oled screen is very good, very readable. The cut of the steering wheel, greatly facilitates the readability of the LEDs arranged on the base CSL ELITE. This strongly compensates for the lack of screen placed on the upper part, flying Porsche and P1. We are on a steering wheel of the CSL series, so it is normal that CSL products, between them, marry better. For example my BMW Clubsport steering wheel, on my CSL base, hides the LEDs present on the base. In my opinion this is not a fault from the moment when have mixed 2 different series; Let's just be positive and happy that fanatec makes this possible.
    The material handles, after several hours of use, I do not have any problems. It's just a question of habit.
    If you have not yet ordered it, I strongly recommend you do it. You will not be disappointed.
    Especially since we have not yet reached the full potential. That will be achieved when the different games have been updated to exploit all the options offered by this wheel.
    There you will regret doubly not being the proud owner of this product.
    Very very good product, certainly one of the best on the market so far, all brands all products combined, at the sight of the quality / price / utility / opportunity.
    Sorry for my English, I'm doing my best.
  • Really nice colour scheme with the buttons there Sylvain, that looks fantastic.
  • edited May 2018

However, I had some issues lastly on it... It seems that the steering wheel is sometimes lost about buttons... I had a race yesterday and after few laps, I wasn't able to use shifter paddles anymore ! It stopped to work suddenly. I didn't understand. I wasn't able to shift up. I was lucky to have a sequential shifter on the side with the Fanatec Clubsport Shifter otherwise my race was finished... During my pit stop, I removed the rim quickly and put it again (thanks to the quick release !). After that, it worked again correctly about shifter paddles. But I must admit that isn't something nice. I should trust my steering wheel. If it does things like that sometimes it sucks.

I have to say I hit exactly the same problem, and it ruined two races for me.  I also had other buttons triggering without me pressing them.  I am researching and in email conversation with Fanatec, but this is really concerning as I can't trust this rim anymore.

On a bright side, it is my favorite rim out of F1 Carbon and BMW Gt2 for DTM/GT3 racing, I really like the proportions.  Hopefully, those issues will get resolved soon.  I am happy with the rim itself and I am sure Fanatec will help, it is an inconvenience though.

• Upon request I will also answer in this topic:

I pre-ordered back in November and since release a couple of weeks ago I use this steering wheel almost on a daily basis. A lot of review content is already written in previous posts by other users. I can confirm that I'm happy with this purchase! The value for money is great. I would also recommend the QR release over the default release. I'm using this wheel with the CSL Elite. Perfect match. In the next phase of software patches by race sims like R3E, ACC, PCars2 it would be very welcome if the much discussed two 12-way rotary knobs would get full support. But even with a limited usage at the moment the wheel as a whole is a joy to use. 

It feels very sturdy with the two thick rubber grips. 
    As written earlier by me and others the two dome P & N buttons need some extra thumb exercises. I mapped them now to two functions not often used (like e.g. camera view change). 

I 'mis use' the two analog clutch levers as 1.) pit limiter 2.) flash light. 

Also nice that you can customize this wheel to your own preference with the extra supplied stickers and buttons. 

The only disadvantage is that I'm racing in VR so cannot see the wheel, lights,oled itself when racing. But for that one I can only "blame" Zuckerberg. 

Just be honest: this wheel looks very sexy! 

Yes I'm enthusiastic about this wheel, but I think that was already clear after reading this post or postings on others forum sites :) 

My recommendation to Fanatec: Keep up the good job and bring on some more!

• Hello,
     Can other GT3 Owners please test this. Is it normal to have (Plastic?) creeking and a little bit of flexing when holding grips strong and pushing on grips with my hands/tight grip when racing after only max 3-4h of in track practice / use in the last few days ?
    I just try test now and I looked closer and can see that if I push hard when gripping the handles then the front face of rim comes away from the rear half around the edges were it meets up with the rear half of the rim housing, but maybe only 1mm gap opens up between the front face and rear housing / back of the rim.
     I think maybe Can I suggest for Fanatec to add 4 x extra screw mounting pointing on front wheel face in each corner so they hold it tight to the rear wheel main housing so is no flexing or separation if they make a v2 version ;) OR Can add extra plastic clips or something ?

I still love the wheel and it was even more of a Bargain for us who pre ordered in 2017 with Fanatec Kindly giving us the extra QR for Free because of the extra 7-8 weeks of Delay/wait ;) 

Hi Ian, 

Especially for you I just ran upstairs to my race rig and pushed, squeezed the rim as hard as I could. No friction as described by you. No I'm not a powerlifter like Schwarzenegger although I visit a gym regurarly ;) 

• I have to say I hit exactly the same problem, and it ruined two races for me.  I also had other buttons triggering without me pressing them.  I am researching and in email conversation with Fanatec, but this is really concerning as I can't trust this rim anymore.

On a bright side, it is my favorite rim out of F1 Carbon and BMW Gt2 for DTM/GT3 racing, I really like the proportions.  Hopefully, those issues will get resolved soon.  I am happy with the rim itself and I am sure Fanatec will help, it is an inconvenience though.

Thanks for your message, I feel less alone. ^^'
    So I'm not the only one to have it... I hope they are reading our messages and I hope they will do something soon...
  • Hello,

Hi Ian, 

Especially for you I just ran upstairs to my race rig and pushed, squeezed the rim as hard as I could. No friction as described by you. No I'm not a powerlifter like Schwarzenegger although I visit a gym regurarly ;) 
    Here is picture showing gap between front and rear wheel housing/cases that opens up when rear housing flexing.
  • Doesn’t look good Ian, mine is very rigid.. Send it back is my advice..

edited May 2018
    JP Mens said:

Doesn’t look good Ian, mine is very rigid.. Send it back is my advice..

Also I spot that on rightside the edges dont line up like on leftside of wheel. Is this the same on your GT3 wheel ?
    edited May 2018
    Short video show little bit of flexing at top .
  • Short video show little bit of flexing at top .

Ian if you aks me for a suggestion I returned for an a RMA
  • Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    I don't know I may be way off but that would be normal for plastic to have that kind of flex especially since it is not glued together. I also don't think you would normally steer that way unless road rage is involved. Curious to know what Fanatec responds with. Please let us know
    edited May 2018
    Philip. So this is not normal flexing and your wheel does not flex like mine ? Think I need to contact Fanatec and hope they accept RMA for Flexing and send new wheel really quickly.
    edited May 2018
    I have just messaged Fanatec support to ask there opinion if this is normal or not and told them I have posted images and video on here and they might want to check it out and let me know if I should or should not RMA my wheel. The worry for me only after few hours and if normal or not and if not will it get worse over time. I heard the leftside creeking while practice lapping on Nord track in GT3 Merc, which led me to investigate to see what was making the noise. And then I also spotted that down the whole rightside the 2 casings dont sit flush with each other like on the leftside, so wondered if this is just the way there manufactured or does this show another issue or not ? The day I got the wheel I posted a sort of joke post with image having a poke at Chinese Qaulity Control due to my metal orange paddle casting having 3 small chips out of it. Maybe I just got a bad one that fell off the end of the assembly line. (lol)
  • Short video show little bit of flexing at top .

WOW... Its only plastic in the video its clear to see your wrenching the wheel sooo hard your hand is shaking!!!... That's Not normal use... Yes plastic will bend, move and creek under that kind of pressure...Then once you work things loose it just gets easier and easier for it to bend and creek...Maybe try tightening the screws back up.

I tested mine and the amount of pressure i would have to put on it to get it to move like that is IMO way over the top and beyond Normal usage... Now if you said you were using a DD wheel and it just worked its self loose then that's a different story.
    The only worry I have will be using this with the DD wheel. I know Thomas said it tested fine however I am using a medium weighted FFB and the wheel makes a lot of creaking noises and rattles from the buttons. Worried the DD wheel will tear this apart.
  • The only worry I have will be using this with the DD wheel. I know Thomas said it tested fine however I am using a medium weighted FFB and the wheel makes a lot of creaking noises and rattles from the buttons. Worried the DD wheel will tear this apart.
    i thought My wheel was rattling to when i first got it...Take the screw driver Bit out of the back ;)  the metal bit it moves and shakes around.
    I been playing Pcars2, AC,   and all is well But i have also been Playing rF2-->(the king of FFB) and Race Room and those 2 really give your wheel a beefy FFB workout when it comes to curbs and bump FFB!!!
  • Gonna have to update my review: two issues, one minor and one major.

Minor: encountered the same issue Ian and other had, but it only happened when I tried taking off the button caps from the top orange buttons...slight separation. Definitely needs some screws in that location.

Major: When I got the wheel, right out of the box, rotating the funky switch seemed to give issues; rotating in one direction, it would go plus one then minus one. For example, if trying to adjust the force feedback level, it would go 90, 100, 90, 100, etc even though I'm moving it in one direction. About 3 days ago, the funky switch rotation stopped working altogether! Doesn't work in any game or the control panel, it's dead.
    edited May 2018
    Short video show little bit of flexing at top .

WOW... Its only plastic in the video its clear to see your wrenching the wheel sooo hard your hand is shaking!!!... That's Not normal use... Yes plastic will bend, move and creek under that kind of pressure...Then once you work things loose it just gets easier and easier for it to bend and creek...Maybe try tightening the screws back up.

I tested mine and the amount of pressure i would have to put on it to get it to move like that is IMO way over the top and beyond Normal usage... Now if you said you were using a DD wheel and it just worked its self loose then that's a different story.
    EDIT.Sorry I forgot to say.
     That ,Yes I have been using it on my DD Wheel for 3-4h so Far In Iracing with the FFB set to 5Nm Linear (Merc GT3 Nord Track) 

My hand is shaking because I have problems with my hands,. Even writing this with phone in lefthand the phone is shaking with hand twitching and shaking, its what happens when I'm holding things. I asked the question on here and 2 others suggested it wasnt normal. So I have ASKED Fanatec for there opinion and if they say this is normal then ok. If it doesnt get worse then ok. I also have issues with noises and that is main reason I had to find what was causing the creaking. I have just tried again and found that the creeking is coming from the flat top surface were it curves up which is part of the rear casing which is above the left red switch thats just right of the large N button.
  • edited May 2018
    The only worry I have will be using this with the DD wheel. I know Thomas said it tested fine however I am using a medium weighted FFB and the wheel makes a lot of creaking noises and rattles from the buttons. Worried the DD wheel will tear this apart.
    Im Not too worried... Even though its plastic i have been putting it through its paces and under Normal use it seems Solid even with the v2.5 @100% FFB playing rF2, Pcars2, Dirt Rally Sport ..... Worst case Im sure Fanatec will Honor defects with their warrenty. I too would be happy if it was made from Aluminum or Similar light weight Metal but im also willing to Pay More $$$.... I dont think every 1 would be happy about a price spike though....when the Line up of Podium products launch im sure they will be made even stronger but thats going to come at a $$$ cost many wont like.
  • Personally, I do not have a problem of torsion. After checking, I also have a small gap in the upper right corner of the steering wheel. But it is very minimal and it does not evolve by turning the wheel in a normal way.
    If I would like to have a deformation recess that I would get there. When we want we can !!!
    Many people set the FFB far too high, which means that the muscle strength is too strong and not at all realistic.
    The secret of a good adjustment, must above all be in finesse, more than in strength. It is not necessary to fight with your steering wheel at the level of strength, but to react quickly, the slightest detail that the steering wheel sends you as a signal of danger, attention.

For the "problem" of the imprecision of the rotating funky switch:
    I also knew this vagueness.
    I redid the separate updates of the CSL base and then the steering wheel. Since no problem, it works perfectly and steadily. This solved the problem definitively, certainly 30 hours of games without any inconvenience.

Hope this will help some of you.
  • Really nice colour scheme with the buttons there Sylvain, that looks fantastic.
    Dymo plastic, yellow, white, grey.
    Heated before placement, for that to hold well. ;)
    Im Not too worried... Even though its plastic i have been putting it through its paces and under Normal use it seems Solid even with the v2.5 @100% FFB playing rF2, Pcars2, Dirt Rally Sport ..... Worst case Im sure Fanatec will Honor defects with their warrenty. I too would be happy if it was made from Aluminum or Similar light weight Metal but im also willing to Pay More $$$.... I dont think every 1 would be happy about a price spike though....when the Line up of Podium products launch im sure they will be made even stronger but thats going to come at a $$$ cost many wont like.
    First thing I did was take the screw out as when I first removed it the screw was already loose inside. Fanatec should offer a faceplate upgrade in metal to add extra weight haha. 
    p.s Sent you a message through XBL fyi ;)
    Awesome button layout! I pre-ordered the GT3 wheel. Did you color those buttons yourself or did you buy them from somewhere? I would like to add colored buttons as well.