New Clutch Bite Point Mode

Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
We are about to release a new firmware for the Mclaren Steering Wheel which will feature a new Clutch Bite Point Mode.

Now you can finally launch your car like a F1 driver. SimRacingGirl will explain how to use it in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au5IAe2WdxI

The McLaren is only the first wheel which will make use of this feature. There will be more steering wheels in the ClubSport and Podium series with this very useful function in the near future.

Comments

• Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    Nice feature addition to the wheel. Looking forward to testing it out.
  • Cool. Look forward to seeing the other rims  you have planned. 
  • Great news.  It was tough holding the one paddle in just the right position for launch.  Will be easier to smoke the others at start now we can save the bite points :)
  • Fantastic.

Now I just need the podium base released so I can have something to mount this to!
  • Nice, but who in their right mind puts a car into gear before using the clutch? It makes no sense to me as someone who has driven manual cars his entire life with an occasional drive in an automatic, including the GT86.
  • Now give us those Direct Drive wheels or information on release date/pre-orders so we can put the wheel on a base!
  • Can't wait to learn, experiment and use my McLaren GT3 wheel. Thanks for the great work.
  • Now give us those Direct Drive wheels or information on release date/pre-orders so we can put the wheel on a base!
    You my friend are taking the words right out of my mouth... Fanatec please
  • That's why all of us are Fans of FANATEC they are always 1 step ahead!!!!! 

New, Soon, Wheels, Clubsport, Podium all in a sentence always sound good...... Yessssssss
  • Ok can someone explain to me which games this is for and what system (PC or Console)?  I have a Console and Project Cars 2, Assetto Corsa, F12017 and none of the features or switches are mappable or even the LED displaying speed or gears.  So this new Clutch Bite Point is for what system (PC or Console) and what game title?
  • Ben MansillBen Mansill Member
    edited May 2018
    Ok can someone explain to me which games this is for and what system (PC or Console)?  I have a Console and Project Cars 2, Assetto Corsa, F12017 and none of the features or switches are mappable or even the LED displaying speed or gears.  So this new Clutch Bite Point is for what system (PC or Console) and what game title?
     It will work with ANY game - as long as the game has a clutch function (so all but the arcadiest things) and allows manual gear selection (so basically everything).

It works independently of the game, it's just a way of storing a pre-set clutch bite point. A magic, wonderful way.

You can try it right now using the new beta 311 drivers on this page.

edit: re consoles I can't see why it wouldn't work. It doesn't need any in-game mapping at all. The game doesn't even know this function is taking place. It's all on the wheel.
  • What about getting full use out of the other two rotary switches in-game?
  • Ok can someone explain to me which games this is for and what system (PC or Console)?  I have a Console and Project Cars 2, Assetto Corsa, F12017 and none of the features or switches are mappable or even the LED displaying speed or gears.  So this new Clutch Bite Point is for what system (PC or Console) and what game title?
     It will work with ANY game - as long as the game has a clutch function (so all but the arcadiest things) and allows manual gear selection (so basically everything).

It works independently of the game, it's just a way of storing a pre-set clutch bite point. A magic, wonderful way.

You can try it right now using the new beta 311 drivers on this page.

edit: re consoles I can't see why it wouldn't work. It doesn't need any in-game mapping at all. The game doesn't even know this function is taking place. It's all on the wheel.

Ben,

You do not see why it would not work on console.

In the meantime, this is the case!

Although F1 2017, includes all the necessary criteria, it does not work, even with the update v311.

Jason, just asking for explanations, to understand or to be able to activate the function correctly. What you answer him is as if you take him for a fool! Although Jason knows this theory, he was able to read it before in the previous description of the product. His interrogation is therefore legitimate from the moment when nothing works as planned.
    Before giving lessons to others, would not it be better to control oneself so that you can give the right answers?
    For my part, I think, it would require a better implementation of products Fanatec, in games. Especially since Fanatec is officially recognized as an official supplier. If we take, for example the case of Assetto corsa on PS4, the base set CSL Elite is officially implemented as on F1 2017, but in none of the two games, a pressure on the For my part, I think, it would require a better implementation of products Fanatec, in games. Especially since Fanatec is officially recognized as an official supplier. If we take, for example the case of Assetto corsa on PS4, the base set CSL Elite is officially implemented as on F1 2017, but in none of the two games, a pressure, on the push button from the 4 way joystick, is not taken into account !!!

I am a fervent supporter and defender of Fanatec products, indirectly also a good seller, since most of my playmates have become Fanatec customers as a result of my praise, done on the products.
    I think that Fanatec is working with game designers to make their equipment as compatible as possible. But obviously this is not enough yet. It should be emphasized on this point, because it is in the end a bad general image that comes out globally !!!
    What is the point in the end of investing money in equipment that is not recognized and 100% exploitable?
    Hopefully things can get better on this point. It would be good, since F1 2018 is in the process of development that it is effective at the exit of the game.
    If I could suggest anything else, it would be, to have more readability on the updates. This for ease, the understanding of many people and that they can make sure to have made their update correctly. On the wheels, after the calibration, 3 figures appear. These three numbers give information about the update that is installed. But none of these 3 digits melts, referring to the version that have it installed. For example for the update V311, on the steering wheel we have the following indications: 476/18/25. Maybe it would be nice, to have these refferences in explanation of the update. In this way, it would facilitate understanding and confirmation that the update has been done and taken into consideration.

Hoping that my message can be read by, Thomas Jackermeier or another person on the team. That one can have a confirmation and can be an explicaton, to know, if these things are conceivable, useful, silly, etc.

Again all my excuses for my English.

Wishing you a good day and a lot of satisfaction
  • Bill KrauseBill Krause Member
    edited June 2018

McLaren Firmware 25

Driver Version 311 Beta

Firmware version 475

Motor Firmware 18

In iRacing

If I push the cal button I get the Set 1 - 5

However nothing happens when I do as Simracing Girl shows. 

No display of clutch engagement, no control with funky rotary.

Also I never have seen the speed displayed before update or after.

• McLaren Firmware 25

Driver Version 311 Beta

Firmware version 475

Motor Firmware 18

Personally, I have never encountered such problems.
    The rotation button, must be implanted in the game, so that they are taken into consideration. The programming of the double clutch is correctly done on my steering wheel. Simply it is not taken into account in the game.
    F1 2017 / PS4
    If you want to be helped, more accurately and efficiently, it's always better to specify, support, console / PC and game.
  • Will the future podium series pedals also have a custom physical clutch bite point that you can set in the wheel like you can do with ABS rumble? :-). 

I'm still happy with my v3i though. Cannot wait for my McLaren GT3 Wheel to arrive!
  • What about getting full use out of the other two rotary switches in-game?
    I think Fanatec's approach with the knobs is more of a "get ahead of the curve" idea...games won't build support for a feature that doesn't exist in any popular wheels, so you have to build it first, then they'll consider implementing it..."if you build it, they will come..."

Yes, there are very few games where the rotary can be used for today (I think calling up iRacing's different black boxes are the only use for them at the moment)...but Fanatec's popularity is growing a lot these days; we all know Fanatec is the best option short of a DD wheel and that one shortcoming will most likely be solved with the Podium Series. Plus, being able to adjust ABS, TC, brake mapping, etc adds more to the ever important immersion factor, so I believe support for this will most likely be added in future sim racing titles.

Here's hoping they approach Kunos about implementing support for this in Assetto Corsa Competizione!
  • I DO NOT HAVE THE MCLAREN WHEEL!! DO I STILL HAVE TO DO THE FIMWARE? THANKS
  • Has anyone else had a problem where Your Pit button doesn’t work intermediately? I’ve only played iRacing with the wheel so not sure if it’s game or wheel but I’ve never had this issue with my formula carbon wheel. It just randomly won’t work and then it will.
    I have that issue as well on Xbox with random buttons not working temporarily. Working with support on the issue.
  • Thanks can you post back here with any success you have? I will open a ticket too but would like to hear if they actually can fix it with out RMA.
  • There seems to be to many issue's with this wheel...
    Thanks can you post back here with any success you have? I will open a ticket too but would like to hear if they actually can fix it with out RMA.

Will do Chad. Sent a follow up email yesterday.
  • edited June 2018
    Hi everyone,
    I just received my wheel from second wave of pre-orders and I have been having problems since. I have updated everything to the latest firmwares, even tried reflashing them to lower firmwares and flashing again but nothing seems to help.

1st problem: When I click any button faster(e.g. when really fast downshifting in F1) it wont register all the clicks. Like every 4th click is missed.
    2nd problem: everytime I open tuning menu it starts freezing, sometimes writing weird codes instead of names (DRIFTV00B etc..), its really unresponsive and most of the time I cant even turn off the menu.

Example of the menu in video. Anyone having something similar? I will open RMA ticket soon but I want to know if someone didnt fix this in some way.

example of wrong names(SENSL instead of SENSIT, F.FEED00 instead F.FEEDB):

Thanks
    Tomas
  • Hi everybody,
    I 've received my wheel this week, I have the same problems; buttons and shifter paddles don't work or randomly. Sometimes the wheel works perfectly but not all the time (the same thing in GT Sport, Asseto Corsa and PC2). Otherwise, this wheel is superb.

• Tested the feature yesterday in rF2 (F1 Mod). Did not work as expected. Have to use the rotary function of the funky switch for changing brake balance as whell which could be the potential root cause. But spending the only rotary switch which can be used for setting the bite point (once per race) is not really an option - especially because the other rotary switches can't be used/assigned in rF2 at all.

Conclusion: Nice wheel but limited additional value.

P.S.: If someone knows a way how to use the two rotary switches in rF2 I would appreciate if you could provide this information.
  • Hi everybody,
    I 've received my wheel this week, I have the same problems; buttons and shifter paddles don't work or randomly. Sometimes the wheel works perfectly but not all the time (the same thing in GT Sport, Asseto Corsa and PC2). Otherwise, this wheel is superb.

Do you have the issue that suddenly break/gas pedal and wheel-angle are going nuts? Than I do have this issue as well. Did get back to my F1 Clubsport wheel, which worked perfect before installing the MCLaren Wheel, same behavior know. My hypothesis is that the new firmware could be the root cause. At least in my configuration after assembling the MCLaren Wheel I was asked to install new firmware (445) although wheelbase reported up-to-date when I checked before disassembling my F1 Clubsport rim.

Opened a support case.
  • Without questioning the possible problems of shift pallet, which do not answer or in random ways.
    I never had this problem.
    To give a specific example, in F1 2017.
    If you use modern cars there is no problem, you can change gear ratios, really fast way.
    If you use old cars, then you may encounter this "problem" which is not a hardware problem or a bug in the game.
    It's just an effect that's put in place to look like reality. These old cars simply do not accept a change gear ratio, all engine speed ranges. It is necessary to be in the good engine speed so that the ratio of gear box can be carried out. More generally, this phenomenon is most often encountered when the gear ratios are downshifted.
    If you have any doubt about the quality of the functions of your McLaren steering wheel, simply replace it with the original P1 steering wheel and do the same test. Depending on the difference of result or their coincidence, you will normally be quickly fixed on the origin of the problem, if there really is one.
  • Philip MorbyPhilip Morby Member
    edited June 2018

McLaren Firmware 25

Driver Version 311 Beta

Firmware version 475

Motor Firmware 18

In iRacing

I too have this problem in rf2 (British Virtual Touring Car Championship mod). I have car in neutral, pull one paddle in, and hittin up or down on funky switch does nothing.

FIXED: Bill go grab v311 from the McLaren GT3 page, the ps4 csl page only showing v310. Can then update firmware for base, then firmware for wheel!
  • Bill KrauseBill Krause Member
    edited June 2018

Is there a way to adjust the tension needed to activate the paddle shifter? 

As has been reported on the iRacing forum, I also experience my fingers falling asleep (lose of ability to feel) by the first pit stop with the GTE car.  To the point that I have a difficult time setting the pit limiter.