Pricing and auction system of Podium DD1 explained

Comments

• edited July 2018
    Thanks Gordon for that graph. Since the livestream is no longer up I could not refer back to it when asking my question. If the measurements by Fanatic are accurate then the Podium wheels should be special.

I also had a look at the Fanatec Podium Direct Drive Features Revealed video:

and the blowup of the motor (at the 19 second mark) seems to indicate the rotor is actually not that thick, so even though it is on the outside its mass should be low leading to low rotational inertia.

Can't wait for the reviews on these things! And I hope that Fanatec have solved the problems that seem to plague all their products so far in terms of reliability and wear rate of the parts. I REALLY hope there is nothing plastic inside, everything's high-quality metal with ball bearings used wherever necessary.
    Probably fanatec uses a rotary/gear conversion ratio.. This type of motor is utilized in RC models like airplanes etc... you can use inrunner but less torque and more base speed or use out-runner with extreme high torque and extreme high acceleration from zero but with less total peak speed ... but.. you can use a ratio-converter and you have the benefit of an inrunner mixed to the benefit of an outrunner.

i think that a torque corrector is also used.

The only thing that anyone can complain about this base is the cooling system that can be Liquid or Air "pull or push" based...
    I hope in a Podium DD-X with liquid cooling and for sure a liquid cooled solution can maintain 25Nm peak power for almost 3 minutes in stall.

But a scenarios where is necessary to stay at 25Nm for more than 3/5 seconds is improbable even if you use a Truck Simulator.
  • @Danilo Alfio Longhitano: I don't think Fanatec are using any gearing or torque convertor (I believe that is what you meant by "torque corrector"). Doing so would immediately and completely change the wheel base from being a "direct drive" wheel to a gear driven one. Anyway the motor parts diagram in the video doesn't show any such gearing and I am sure it is a full direct-drive wheel.

Now we just need the reviews :)
  • edited July 2018
    @Danilo Alfio Longhitano: I don't think Fanatec are using any gearing or torque convertor (I believe that is what you meant by "torque corrector"). Doing so would immediately and completely change the wheel base from being a "direct drive" wheel to a gear driven one. Anyway the motor parts diagram in the video doesn't show any such gearing and I am sure it is a full direct-drive wheel.

Now we just need the reviews :)
    My word are "only" supposition... i'm NOT a motor engineer in anyway.

For what i know ( but , again ... i'm not a motor engineer ) a "torque corrector" is a device that ( expand ) the point where maximum torque will be at max peak x speed/acceleration ratio... and spread it in a more "wide and linear" manner.

With a torque corrector you can decide "where" the full torque power have to start... mid, low, high.. based on acceleration x rpm.
    this is how torque corrector works in trasmissions and other device... ( if i'm not wrong )

In my understandings "direct drive" means that the Wheel is attached directly on the MOTOR shaft but "how this motor achieve and deliver" their power is a completely different story. No one have seen "the internals" of the motor. A exploded diagram on a marketing video count nothing about how this motor is developer. The exploded diagram have to be the simplest possible to be understandeable for posible interested clients that are not engineers.

In my opinion people have to Don't worry about the quality and torque of this base. It's clear that Thomas want to release a product that is capable of go over or exceed the expectations. Try it and if this wheel base is not what you want return it but, i think that this products can easly exceed the expectations.

Sometime is not a good idea known everything about how a product is made... because feels boring at some point...
    the best for me is when i open the BOX... and with ALL my ignorance i have to trust only in my hands and feelings. "the same when you open a car door and start an engine"... you don't know nothing about HOW the exaust are attached to the collector .. or what are the first cilider to use fuel...
    it's simply "funny".
  • edited July 2018
  • Ivan HruškaIvan Hruška Member
    edited July 2018
    When the other Podium steering wheels will be announced? If I will make a DD pre-order I would like to make it all at once with some Podium wheels instead of ClubSport wheels.
    I hope they will be all announced before the DD availability date.
  • Landon LoperLandon Loper Member
    edited July 2018
    so i wonder when preorders go up for ps4 version? because you can just put the uni hub on the ps4 version of the dd1 and you get support for xbox. so support for all 3 with the ps4 version of the dd1 vs just xbox and pc with dd1

• Patiently waiting for pre-orders for Podium Racing Wheel to open up! :) 
  • Hello, The V2.5 base comes with a optional mounting adapter

"20° mounting adapter incl. screws (premounted)"

Will the DD1 have something similar?, or maybe we can use the same adapter

I´m much more confortable driving with the 20º angle

Thanks
  • I can see a great improvement in this press release over the previous one, I am missing in it few technical details, that were in facebook stream plus few other that partially found on the website. As I am pointing at a complete bundle not available yet podium racing wheel is the option for me. It will be Playstation compatible but in a video, there was no information about PC compatibility - it sounds like PS4 only. If it is PC compatible what will happen when I or one of my children plug it to XBOX? Next, I have a few questions about the torque limiter key. Information about it disappeared from a press release. Everyone that has kids knew about this problem - in case of lost will it be available to buy separately? Is there any other way to overcome a missing key problem, like setting a torque limit at podium software? I watched Shaun's Cole review of OSW wheel where he showed that 20% of torque (in 30Nm motor means 6Nm) is a reasonable top limit of use - that's for adults. Parent way of view is different - is the key limiter can be set to a different value? Can it be programmed in software to a value of about 1-1.5 Nm? If there will be available spare keys will they can be programmed to separate values, i.e. like in a Ford car - one for me and one for my sons? How robust are previous steering rigs when used with DD motors? Over the internet, I found many pictures of damaged McLaren GT3 wheels (broken pins). What will happen to them when connected to DD wheel? Will you plan to make a strengthed revision of McLaren GT3 rim or any other bulletproof GT3 like steering wheel (I understand that licencing has limitations)?

P.S. You should make an accessory, an expansion cable that allows plugging a torque limiter key from the front. Nice if it will be a functional ignition lock. :)

P.P.S. Maybe you should do an additional video where you explain more technical details about DD wheels, but please let someone else do the production cut of material. In the middle of the press release camera is switched like a crazy every 1-2 seconds, it was very hard to focus on details.
  • brett morobrett moro Member
    edited July 2018
    First of all. Really great news in your new video Thomas !!

Just one thing I would like to clarifiy with preorder on the DD1. You mention that it will include the DD2 motor for the first batch of preorders.

I did not quiete clear understand. Will this DD2 motor than be limited somehow to the figures of 20nm peak torque via the software/electronics of the DD1 or will it produce the normal peak torque (25nm) of the "normal" DD2 motor ?
    Same exact motor of DD2 that now is 25Nm peak instead of 24Nm but on DD1 the maximum peak torque is limited by internal electronics to 20Nm maximum peak torque.

The DD1 "in the first batch" is the clear winner... considering that a downgraded motor can have more stable behaviours and in theory can't reach higher temperature.

DD1 is the best choice for price/performance without any doubt.
    Thomas said "in the first batch"?   I hope to get some clarity on this question. I also concur! DD1 is a great choice! but i wonder what exactly Mr Jackermeier ment by that!?  I am seriously interested in purchasing the DD1.
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    It looks like all pre-orders will get the better motor. At least everything until the auctions are finished.
  • Has nothing to do with the post but, I've been trying to get ahold of costumer service regarding my order where I am being charged incorrectly. I emailed I called and left several messages nobody will get back to me. I bought a shifter, hand brake and two USB dongles. Paid for 2 day shipping but am getting three day shipping instead. That's fine charge me 3 day not 2. This is fraud I want to talk to somebody to straighten this out but can't. Please do not make me have to claim fraud to my credit card. Yo
  • I've been trying to get ahold of costumer service regarding my order where I am being charged incorrectly. I emailed I called and left several messages nobody will get back to me. I bought a shifter, hand brake and two USB dongles. Paid for 2 day shipping but am getting three day shipping instead. That's fine charge me 3 day not 2. This is fraud I want to talk to somebody to straighten this out but can't. Please do not make me have to claim fraud to my credit card. Yo
    "At Fanatec.com, we strive to ship your order within 48 hours after receipt of payment. However, because of inventory, shipping, and matters outside of our control, our statements as to usual shipping times are not guarantees or promises that a product will ship on a specific day."

• It looks like all pre-orders will get the better motor. At least everything until the auctions are finished.
    Hi Thomas, when do the auctions finish? I really want to pre-order and buy the Podium Racing Wheel, even now if that was possible.
    But I don't want to miss on the better motor, should i give up on the Podium Racing Wheel and pre-order DD1 instead?

Podium Racing Wheel

Podium Racing Wheel

Podium Racing Wheel

• Thomas please make sure Podium Racing Wheel will equip better motor on the first patch , I must order it at once when it available
  • brett morobrett moro Member
    edited July 2018
    It looks like all pre-orders will get the better motor. At least everything until the auctions are finished.

Vielen dank Herr Jackermeier for the klarung! Prost! Aus Kanada. Cheers mate!
  • edited July 2018

Hi Mr. Thomas :).

i have one question for the event of 25th august. The event is open to public ?.

Can't wait!!
    http://drive.google.com/file/d/1cdNw3dUaZwAlXOZDWzC9_jSj8w3GSmqF/view
  • It looks like all pre-orders will get the better motor. At least everything until the auctions are finished.
    Thomas,

Does that also apply to the PS4 wheel base?

Thank you.
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

i have one question for the event of 25th august. The event is open to public ?.

Can't wait!!
    Hi Danilo,

Our community event is by invitation. Invites are in progress!

Can't wait!!
    Hi Danilo,

Our community event is by invitation. Invites are in progress!
    Hi Mr. Dominic :).

Ok, thank you :).
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    Thomas,

Does that also apply to the PS4 wheel base?

Thank you.
    Yes.
  • Wonderful job with the new video.  I was certainly critical at first.  Having spent some time running through other DD options, I had come up with a price point for the DD1 of $799 in my personal economics of where this would be an instant BUY.  Considering the eco-system approach and that there are many podium level steering wheels in development, I think I will probably stay with Fanatec.  The steering wheels are the key item as they are the best value in the market place, I already have 4 of them, and hopefully the Podium steering wheels will represent the same value.  While I lust after $2,000 and $3,000 custom replica wheels, I just don't have the time available in the seat to justify the expense of not only the wheel, but the specific mount, system modifications and time.  Hopefully there will be a Podium licensed GT wheel (Porsche or BMW come to mind as there have been previous licensing agreements.....nudge. Especially given the affinity with ACC I would hope there is a GT wheel coming...). Maybe there will be an option to package a podium wheel with the DD1 wheel base at a discount on Black Friday - or likely after since the first DDs aren't due to ship out until after Black Friday. This pricing approach would get the product to the same value proposition while protecting the MSRP of the DD1 on its own. I point this out because this is how I came to Fanatec in the first place was with a bundled kit ( I think it may have even been a Black Friday deal).    

Also, it may have been asked and answered, but is the DD wheel front mountable and does it have the same front bolt pattern as the CSW? Also, looking at the spindle it seems to have some mechanicals and collars, will there be an option to extend the steering column to allow for the screen to sit lower relative to the wheel?
  • Maybe I miss this on many of the threads on here but what's the dimension of the actual unit? The specs page only show box dimension. I need to make sure this will fit my rig before placing an order. Please provide actual unit dimension, think this is a silly omission...

• Hello,

I'm french and didn't understand all that Thomas said. Maybe I'm wrong but what I understood is that the DD1's motor did not meet their high expectations. That's why they decided to upgrade the first batches with the DD2's motor. So, does that mean that after the first batches, the DD1 will come with a motor that is not as good as expected ? 
  • Dear Thomas can you tell us wen the podium ps4 wheel be there for pre-order?
  • Hello,

I'm french and didn't understand all that Thomas said. Maybe I'm wrong but what I understood is that the DD1's motor did not meet their high expectations. That's why they decided to upgrade the first batches with the DD2's motor. So, does that mean that after the first batches, the DD1 will come with a motor that is not as good as expected ? 
    I would assume they are attempting to source a motor that does meet their standards.

When the DD1 switches motors I assume they will try to make it as small a difference as possible.
  • Hi All, Guys, one of you know what ( CAN ) connector is on the Podium wheel base ? Thank you .
  • Will those of us who preordered the DD2 before the announcement, also benefit from the free 5 year warranty? ...my invoice still says "3 years". Thanks
  • edited July 2018
    Will those of us who preordered the DD2 before the announcement, also benefit from the free 5 year warranty? ...my invoice still says "3 years". Thanks
    Hi :). Even on my dd2 order I have 3 years but don’t worry... Mr. Thomas says: We decide t extend to all DD2 pre-order , 5 years of warranty free of charge. Probably when you register the product you have 5 years of warranty based on the serial number+ order number.