Podium Wheel Bases - All the Info you need

Comments

• edited July 2018
    I would like to know the dimensions of DD2, can't find any info from that. A drilling template would be good too. How i buy it i don't know that it would fit to my rig.

Otherwise i use gforce lcd on my csw 2.5, but on DD2 gforce's mount will cover the display of the base at two sides.WIth wider hole spaces for lcd mount it would be better. But i think gforce cover the hole DD display if it is in the right position of height.
  • Just heard from someone who had preordered the DD2 with the 5-year warranty that his extra warranty payment has been refunded and that the option to add the extra 2 years has been removed.  Anyone from Fanatec want to clue us in on this?
  • If the current wheels can be used on the DD will the upcoming Podium Wheels be compatable with the CSW base V2.5?
    Yes they will be compatible!
    Thomas, is it means new podium racing wheel rim won’t have 2 extra pins on the QR? New QR have 2 more pin holes , I thought that for extra function for podium series
  • if someone does not like the prices there more than entitled to speak there mind... I think Thomas is great but this time around these Fantec DD base prices aren't what I am looking for...if I can pick up one second hand or wait for this tech to become more affordable in a few years I will!
    Hard to know without a concrete price on the DD1. Given that the difference between DD1 and DD2 sounds like it's limited to the motor, it's hard to anticipate anything more than a $200 difference. Specifically I'd guess the DD1 will be priced at $1295.

That puts the DD1 at the same price point in the US for just the base against the Accuforce V2 complete package.The fanatec ecosystem is amazing and I love all the quality rim options, on the other hand the Accuforce V2 is on sale for $150 off and is available right now. I'm interested to see how the auctions go, but I'm really aching to upgrade my wheel soon.
    Yes these Fanatec DD bases are cutting edge in so many ways. The DD 1 is all i need and then some i imagine. i digress but i was really hoping DD 1 price will be closer 1000usd...At that price its a no brainer and would hit the market place sweet spot securing success for Fanatec and the consumer. I know i am naive to the costs involved with production and research. I am not completely in the loop but maybe closer to the 1000usd is a remote possibility? A guy can dream.   I really hope you can afford the DD 1 mate!  We all need these sales to be a success so the prices can become more affordable potentially. 
  • if someone does not like the prices there more than entitled to speak there mind... I think Thomas is great but this time around these Fantec DD base prices aren't what I am looking for...if I can pick up one second hand or wait for this tech to become more affordable in a few years I will!
    Hard to know without a concrete price on the DD1. Given that the difference between DD1 and DD2 sounds like it's limited to the motor, it's hard to anticipate anything more than a $200 difference. Specifically I'd guess the DD1 will be priced at $1295.

That puts the DD1 at the same price point in the US for just the base against the Accuforce V2 complete package.The fanatec ecosystem is amazing and I love all the quality rim options, on the other hand the Accuforce V2 is on sale for $150 off and is available right now. I'm interested to see how the auctions go, but I'm really aching to upgrade my wheel soon.
    Yes these Fanatec DD bases are cutting edge in so many ways. The DD 1 is all i need and then some i imagine. i digress but i was really hoping DD 1 price will be closer 1000usd...At that price its a no brainer and would hit the market place sweet spot securing success for Fanatec and the consumer. I know i am naive to the costs involved with production and research. I am not completely in the loop but maybe closer to the 1000usd is a remote possibility? A guy can dream.   I really hope you can afford the DD 1 mate!  We all need these sales to be a success so the prices can become more affordable potentially. 

Just check the new Fanatec YouTube video, you are going to be happy. DD1= 999.95 Euro

Just check the new Fanatec YouTube video, you are going to be happy. DD1= 999.95 Euro
    Good lord lol This exceeds my expectations: The DD1 motor has bin upgraded to the DD2 motor.... I am extremely impressed with this latest news today...This is fantastic news for fana fans and the greater sim racing community. Thank you Thomas / Fanatec team.   Bravo!!! Thats the magic sweet spot price imo & more!    If i sell my DSD sq shifter (Never used), my old t300/ pedals shifter etc and my V2.5 im' set and the some! Lol im' broke almost. ..Just droped a all my cash into upgraded motorcycle suspension.  I should be able to preorder this awesome DD1 with a bit of trading!
  • When the best model of podium its compatible with ps4 and pc I'll buy it ... I think that if DD2 if ok with xbox why not for ps4?

• When the best model of podium its compatible with ps4 and pc I'll buy it ... I think that if DD2 if ok with xbox why not for ps4?
    It is because Sony makes it more complicated than Microsoft. Fanatec and other companies have to license a specific wheel for the PS4 by Sony which then gets a security chip in the base to be able to run on a PS4 system. On the other side Microsoft makes it way more easier for Fanatec, because this security chip can be built inside a rim instead of the base. 

That is reason, why we have one specific PS4 version of the DD1. Imho, I think the main reason why the DD2 was not chosen to get a PS4 version is because bringing a DD Wheel on consoles is already a great task. The DD1 is already 3 times the price of the console you want to play on. There won't be many console players who consider to buy a DD Wheel for their racing games. And I think if the DD2 would have been chosen, there would be even fewer people getting it for console only, because than the price is like 5 times as high as a console.

That'd be quite insane 
    :)>-
  • edited July 2018
    There won't be many console players who consider to buy a DD Wheel for their racing games. And I think if the DD2 would have been chosen, there would be even fewer people getting it for console only, because than the price is like 5 times as high as a console.

Yeah, and besides that I think the DD1 is already quite enough for most of the people out there, wether they are on a console or a PC. Therefore I think the customer base for the DD2 will already be significantly smaller than for the DD1.
    Sure, for some people out there who maybe want it for both, PS4 and PC (and even for some PS4 only gamers), it's probably a bit disappointing, but due to the licensing system of Sony I can absolutely understand the decision to limit it to a DD1 base. And I honestly hadn't expected even that.
  • I preordered the DD1. Could I get the drilling template paper for the drill the mounting holes on my rig? Or it will in the retail box?
  • Why are those drilling templates on the download pages just empty zip files?
  • Wesley StokesWesley Stokes Member
    edited August 2018
    For anyone looking at the Podium DD and wanting to know what you get for the price of of the Podium DD, check out this video by Jimmy Brodbent and his review on ownership of an OSW DD. For me the promise by Fanatec of a simpler software package and a wheel that is designed to eliminate EMI issues is all I need to justify my pre-order and the price being offered. Thanks Fanatec for reinventing the DD wheel.
  • Hi, does anyone know how much the wheelbase weighs, there are two different weights on the fanatec page but I do not know if ueither are actual base weight or not. Thanks
  • Hi, does anyone knows where the on and off button is on the dd is?
    Thanks.
  • Ian MchaleIan Mchale Member
    edited August 2018
    qadri said:
    Hi, does anyone knows where the on and off button is on the dd is?
    Thanks.
    There appears to be either a white push button on the rear or maybe its just a power on light ?
  • will the DD2 or DD1 be able to be attached to my RSEAT RS1 wheel stand?
  • will the DD2 or DD1 be able to be attached to my RSEAT RS1 wheel stand?
    As the fixing pattern is the same as the CSW, there should be no problem fixing either DD wheel.  I have the same rig and am waiting to see how the movement/vibration is with the DD1 before possibly upgrading my rig.
  • edited August 2018
    Is there any on-off button on the DD1 wheelbase?
  • Is there any on-off button on the DD1 wheelbase?
    yes, the white button on the back of the Base.
    Thanks. Did you see that when it was on and off position?
    Looks like a conventional push button switch. Click it in for on, click it again and it's out and off.
  • I mean did you see the real thing is working?
    Is there any on-off button on the DD1 wheelbase?
    Looks like a conventional push button switch. Click it in for on, click it again and it's out and off.

No I'm just looking at the product images and using my prior experience with fanatec products to extrapolate how the power button likely works.
    No I'm just looking at the product images and using my prior experience with fanatec products to extrapolate how the power button likely works.
    OK.Thanks for the answer anyway.
  • Sorry if this has been asked already, couldn't find it.

Are the mounting holes for button boxes etc the same as on the Clubsport?
  • Sorry if this has been asked already, couldn't find it.

Are the mounting holes for button boxes etc the same as on the Clubsport?
    From the reports I have read yes, you have the traditional 3 hole pattern on the bottom and then side mounts
  • Dear Fanatec Community,  

Re Fanatec Podium future compatibility with Sim Tools or Sim Commander software.

I have a question, about future software compatibility of the Fanatec Podium software with other bits of kit and software outside of the Fanatec universe, specifically motion rigs running Sim Tools or Sim Commander or other common motion control software, with compatibility at the same time for VR headset.

This is my first post, I am located in Sydney Australia and about to upgrade my old Fanatec based wheel and static rig, adding a direct drive wheel base as the first step.  Later I plan to use the Direct Drive on a 3DF motion rig

I am thinking seriously about going ahead and pre ordering either a Podium DD1 or DD2, plus a new Fanatec wheel to mount on the DD, and possibly more Fanatec kit, so good news for Fanatec.  I have a good static older rig including ClubSport pedals which for now I would keep using, and with some strengthening & reinforcement the current rig would for now handle a DD base. 

I really like the look of the Podium direct drive base and get it has some attractive benefits over the top end alternatives which in this case would be an OSW Direct Drive or Bodnar. I have the necessary high-end GTX 980ti based gaming PC to run the direct drive rig.  I am also looking at getting a Vive Pro which the 980ti should handle.  

Although early days, the initial reviews I have seen suggest that the DD1 and DD2 are easily better than an Accuforce and should be at the same high level as an OSW or Bodnar direct drive. That is all I need to know re general performance and I am willing to bet on the Podium DDs being pretty good, the claimed backwards compatibility with Fanatec kit should mean my current static chair rig should be reasonably straight forward to get running, and hopefully with a VR headset as well.     

Because I am looking down the track at a 3DF motion simulator my main questions to the community are about future software compatibility of the new Fanatec Podium software with other bits of kit and software outside of the Fanatec universe. Specifically, for motion rigs running Sim Tools or Sim Commander or other dedicated motion control software, with compatibility for VR headset working as well at the same time.       

It pays to ask, and be sure. I did try to answer with a web search and on the Inside Sim Racing site and this Fanatec community site as well, but came up short re a definitive answer.  I even sent Fanatec a message about this a couple days ago without reply so far.

Honestly if a Podium DD is expected/designed to work with/alongside and not conflict with Sim Tools or Sim Commander type software running the motion sim rig side of things, then that’s all I really need to decide probably in favour of the Podium, otherwise it might be safer to go with one of the alternatives which would not be my first choice.

I welcome any contributions that could help answer or clarify things.  

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for your message. Our direct drive systems will be plug-and-play just like our CSL and ClubSport Series wheel bases. I see no reason why the Fanatec Podium Software Suite wouldn't run at the same time as other software, as they would be controlling different devices, and reading/interpreting the sim telemetry data entirely separately from each other. VR software is also separate, so also no problem there (although on a side note, I'd suggest that a 980Ti isn't really enough to run a Vive Pro at native resolution, but I'd suggest that you reach out to a VR-specific discussion forum to enquire about that).
  • The aim is to launch in December, and we would like to get the Podium Racing Wheel (PS4 version) launching in a similar timeframe, but this is subject to change, as the products are still in development.
    Hi Dominic, any news regarding the DD1 bundle for PS4? Can we expect an announcement in December?
  • I'm also curious about the release date of the DD1/PS4 version. I want to pre order this one. 90% is PC simracing but now and then e.g. GT Sport on PS4. If the release date is months away I will pre order the regular already available for pre order DD1. Still hoping for early release on or around 7. Dec