Podium DD1 Auction dates UPDDATE 1 *IMPORTANT*

Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
edited November 2018 in Blog
I’m pleased to confirm that auctions for US and EU customers will commence next week! The auction for the Podium Wheel Base DD1 for Fanatec US customers begins *Tuesday 13th November, from 18:00 PST (21:00 EST)*. 

This will be followed by the auction for Fanatec Europe, which begins *Thursday 15th November, from 19:00 CET (18:00 GMT)*.

As before, each unit starts at $1 (1€ for Fanatec Europe) with no reserve. Several Australians made a very good deal so expect that some lucky winners in Europe and USA as well.

*These are the only auction sessions we have planned for these two regions.*

There will no more auction in Australia and no auction in Japan. All DD1 units sold by auction (as well as the pre-ordered DD1) will have the bigger DD2 motor.

If you are a PS4 user you should wait for early December when we will release all details about the Podium Racing Wheel for PS4

Instructions:

- For those based in the relevant region wishing to participate, please create a Fanatec account in advance and log in.
- Once active, you’ll see an ‘Enter Auction Page’ button on the DD1 product page, which launches a secure bidding area hosted on Amazon’s servers, which has been thoroughly tested for stability. (Anyone can click this link to watch the bids in real-time.)
- Click to bid as many times as you wish. Each click automatically increases the price by a fixed increment of $10 (10€).
- After every new bid is placed, a 60-second timer will reset.
- If there are no new bids after the timer reaches zero, the auction ends, and the winner receives an email with details on how to complete the pre-order.
- The next auction begins immediately, starting at $1 (1€).

*Please note:*

*- There is an unlimited amount of auctions if the auction ends at $970 (970€) or higher (which is still below the regular price of $999.95 (999.95€).*
*- We will stop the auction sessions after 30 units (for US) and 45 units (for Europe) reach an end price below $970 (970€).*
*- You will be able to see the previous winning bid values.*
*- Any bids above the regular pre-order price are automatically invalid.*
*- If you win an auction, it is not possible to bid for another unit.*

Standard pre-orders for both the DD1 and DD2 wheel bases are already available in all regions; the auction system is a genuine opportunity for our customers to score a great pre-order price for this cutting-edge sim hardware.

Links to product pages:
USA 

UPDATE 1

Here are some important tips and tricks for a succesfull bidding and how to get a cheap unit.
  • The longer you wait the lower the prices. In USA the prices got really low after 3 hours after the session started.
  • Be patient and don't click like crazy. Do not place a bid if the price is above your limit.
  • Do not place a bid if the counter shows above 30 seconds. You will only win after nobody is bidding for 60 seconds anyway.
  • Do not place a bid if the price is above the pre-order price. It just delays the auction session for everyone else and is therefore not only unreasonable but also unfair to other bidders. We can block you in such a case.
  • Watch how many units are left below the threshold. After 45 units in EU we will end the session.
  • Be patient and wait. You will have ONE MINUTE before the auction ends. If prices go up like crazy then there is no chance that your bid is succesfull anyway.
  • All pre-ordered or auctioned DD1 as well as the Podium Racing Wheel PS4 will get the DD2 motor
  • If you win an auction and cancel the pre-order you made, you will lose your delivery slot

Comments

• Good luck everyone $-)
  • What is the differences between the dd1 and the dd2 ?

You say these units have the dd2 motor in, does that mean they will have the higher torque or is that still a restriction to dd2 and how does having the better motor in affect cooling ?

Am I able to extend the warranty from an auction purchase ?

If I was to win a dd1 auction can I add other items to the order to save on shipping costs ?

• So, If I have already preordered DD1 I still can bid in auction I assume? If I win I can cancel the preorder and get the DD1 in reduced price?

Cant wait!!
  • Dear Fanatec!

A question that i guess almost everyone of us wonder:

Will there be a new GT type wheel like the mclaren GT3 wheel? Will there be some kind of Podium based GT wheel to come with the new podium series? Cause the mclaren wheel is simply so amazing with all the buttons and knobs. There are no other wheel who even come close to the same buttons, layouts etc. But the quality is not the best with the mclaren GT3 wheel. I would rather pay more money to get a better quality GT3 wheel similar to the f1 wheel. Can we atleast get a confirmation if such a wheel will come?

Would really really really appreciate an answer :) <3 <3 <3 <3
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    What is the differences between the dd1 and the dd2 ?

You say these units have the dd2 motor in, does that mean they will have the higher torque or is that still a restriction to dd2 and how does having the better motor in affect cooling ?

If I was to win a dd1 auction can I add other items to the order to save on shipping costs ?

The differences are detailed on the product pages if you would like more info. In a nutshell, the main difference is the torque, with the DD2 having higher performance. It has higher holding torque, higher peak torque, faster acceleration, and a wider dynamic range.

The DD1 units use the same motor as the DD2, but it is configured to run at lower torque. In either case you are looking at a seriously high performance device. You should have no concerns about cooling on either model.

You can extend the warranty on an auction pre-order, and you can add other items to the same order, however we usually ship items already in stock immediately, so if you'd like to have all items sent at the same like as a DD1 base, then this is something you should discuss with our sales team via email - webshop (at) fanatec (dot) com.

So, If I have already preordered DD1 I still can bid in auction I assume? If I win I can cancel the preorder and get the DD1 in reduced price?

Cant wait!!
    Yes.

Dear Fanatec!

Will there be a new GT type wheel like the mclaren GT3 wheel? Will there be some kind of Podium based GT wheel to come with the new podium series? Cause the mclaren wheel is simply so amazing with all the buttons and knobs. There are no other wheel who even come close to the same buttons, layouts etc. But the quality is not the best with the mclaren GT3 wheel. I would rather pay more money to get a better quality GT3 wheel similar to the f1 wheel. Can we atleast get a confirmation if such a wheel will come?

Hi Christoffer, I appreciate your enthusiasm I'm afraid I can't discuss such information. We have many exciting projects in development and they will be revealed when the time is right. :)
  • For the PS4 podium, is it just details you are releasing or is it going to be available for purchase in December?
  • For the PS4 podium, is it just details you are releasing or is it going to be available for purchase in December?
    https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/podium-dd1-auction-details.381017/#post-12535351
  • Cory ClarkCory Clark Member
    edited November 2018
    Why is it telling me I have not logged in when I did. I navigate from "My Account" to the product page and click the Auction button. The page opens but then doesn't allow me to place a bid.

EDIT: Nevermind. I figured out what was happening.

• What is the differences between the dd1 and the dd2 ?

The differences are detailed on the product pages if you would like more info. In a nutshell, the main difference is the torque, with the DD2 having higher performance. It has higher holding torque, higher peak torque, faster acceleration, and a wider dynamic range.

The DD1 units use the same motor as the DD2, but it is configured to run at lower torque. In either case you are looking at a seriously high performance device. You should have no concerns about cooling on either model.

You can extend the warranty on an auction pre-order, and you can add other items to the same order, however we usually ship items already in stock immediately, so if you'd like to have all items sent at the same like as a DD1 base, then this is something you should discuss with our sales team via email - webshop (at) fanatec (dot) com.

So, If I have already preordered DD1 I still can bid in auction I assume? If I win I can cancel the preorder and get the DD1 in reduced price?

Cant wait!!
    Yes.

Dear Fanatec!

Hi Christoffer, I appreciate your enthusiasm I'm afraid I can't discuss such information. We have many exciting projects in development and they will be revealed when the time is right. :)

Thanks for responding Dominic.

The way Thomas has worded his post and the info detailed on the pages indicates it is not normal for the DD1 to have the same motor ie the auction preorder DD1 units have the "larger DD2 motor", potentially implies DD1 units were going to have or will have a different smaller motor in the future, or is that something lost in translation and production of the DD1 for the foreseeable future will all have the same motor as the DD2 just configured differently ? Hence my initial question about the DD1 having satisfactory cooling.

I know you say the differences are detailed on their relevant pages but we are left to decipher this and it is easy to misconstrue what is detailed.

From what I can see, details of which I have not nessecarily solely asscertained from your EU store pages

DD1 to DD2 respectively;
    • Plain Casement, Patterned Casement
    • DD1 2 years standard warranty, 5 years standard on the DD2
    • DD1 has reduced torque, with nothing specific about whether the motors themselves are identical.
    • Kill switch not included on the DD1 and no details on this as an optional accesory as yet
    Be interesting to know how much those kill switches are projected to cost as an accesssory, hopefully I've missed no other differences.

Also are the DD units as end user service friendly as the csw's ?
  •  
    Cory said:
    Why is it telling me I have not logged in when I did. I navigate from "My Account" to the product page and click the Auction button. The page opens but then doesn't allow me to place a bid.

EDIT: Nevermind. I figured out what was happening.
    I'm having the same issue, and I can't figure out a fix. (Not sure if logging in via Amazon is the problem.)
  • 25 minutes until the auction and the US site is already down. Not good.
  • This is a joke. Site doesn't respond and first unit closed at.
    1451.00 USD
  • Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    What the heck all units over 1000?
  • Jean SalvatiJean Salvati Member
    edited November 2018
    It's the lag. The system can't process the bids fast enough. Pointless. If Fanatec really wants to do auctions, they should just use ebay.
  • This format is flawed...

These morons could have just pre-ordered from the site.
  • I think that Fanatec has no control here. If people wants to bid as crazy they can do that.
    Ridiculous. I place a bid at the $400 mark and it gets accepted as the highest bidder at $1081 and now I can't bid anymore !?
  • Adam MansirAdam Mansir Member
    edited November 2018
    Takes forever to load, when it does bid is closed. 
  • I think that Fanatec has no control here. If people wants to bid as crazy they can do that.
    I don't think people are bidding that high. They are clicking bid when it is much lower, then 100 bids go in at the same time. 
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    Michael McLafferty said:
    This is a joke. Site doesn't respond and first unit closed at.
    1451.00 USD
    The site is functional. We are monitoring it.

All units over MSRP are invalid. It is dangerous to rapidly bid, because anyone who wins a unit is prevented from taking part in the bids for the next units.
    edited November 2018
    Michael McLafferty said:
    This is a joke. Site doesn't respond and first unit closed at.
    1451.00 USD
    The site is functional. We are monitoring it.

All units over MSRP are invalid. It is dangerous to rapidly bid, because anyone who wins a unit is prevented from taking part in the bids for the next units.
    Invalid meaning all the bids so far are null and none of use walk away with a unit?
  • I can already see this year's Black Friday sale being another $h!t show!

• The site is functional.
    No, it is not. It cannot handle the load and it is not synchronized. For example, I was seeing the countdown for unit 11 (which refreshed every 5-10 seconds--sometimes more), but in the panel below it was saying that unit 11 had already been sold.
  • Define functional? It doesn't respond....  
  • Maybe my suggestion to raffle off the chance to purchase at a discount makes some sense?

What I'm seeing happen here doesn't benefit anyone and is a huge waste of expectations and peoples time.
  • There's no way the current unit is at 2700!
    edited November 2018
    Currrent bid #24 at $3000. That is not functional.
  • So 300 people want to bid, they all hit the button and the base goes to $3,000.

How do you have an auction when 300 people want to buy it?
  • Currrent bid #24 at $3000. That is not functional.
    If won the highest bidder only pays MSRP, correct?
  • It's OK guys... They're monitoring it! LOL