Delivery of the Podium Wheel Bases UPDATE2

Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
edited May 2019 in Blog
To all customers waiting for the Podium Wheel Base 

I can imagine how much you’re looking forward to the release of this product. We’ve been working tirelessly to optimise and improve long term reliability, implementing many changes during the development phase. Until recently, it was looking very good that we could fulfill our estimated availability date in early December, but in final testing we discovered a serious issue which affects about 0.7% of the units produced so far. 

We discussed if this really justifies a delay, but I made the painful decision to stop delivery. This product must be nothing less than flawless! In electronics design there’s always a chance that something can be missed, but if we are already aware of an issue, we cannot ship the unit. Not our flagship.

The problem requires thorough analysis, and we need to determine if we can rework the electronics of the units which were already produced or need to make new electronics. It is therefore important to adjust our realistic shipping date to the end of April. If we can begin shipments earlier, then we will do so, of course.

I’m sure you are just as disappointed as we are, but we want to keep you happy, and we want you to stay with us. Of course you are free to cancel your order now, but if you are willing to wait, we are offering a special gift as a gesture of appreciation.

All customers who pre-ordered the Podium Wheel Base DD1 or DD2 up to yesterday will receive a free steering wheel. It will be the new ClubSport Steering Wheel F1 2019 which is due to be released in May next year. It is very similar to the F1 2018 version we just released, but comes in a special and exciting new colour scheme. It is also a limited edition product, with a value of 349,95 USD / Euro

Rest assured that the Podium Series Wheel Bases will be well worth the wait.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

UPDATE

In case you have already ordered the F1 2018 steering wheel or you want a different steering wheel you can let our sales team know and we will send you a voucher for the same amount so you can use it on a different steering wheel.

UPDATE2
All Podium DD1, DD2 and racing Wheels which were supposed to be shipped on or before April 30th have left the warehouse. Thank you very much for your patience.
If you did not receive your base yet then make sure you are really on the first batch or that the product is still onthe way or in customs.

Comments

• Is the wheel xbox comparable?
  • I already ordered the limited edition to go with my dd1 so could I have a different wheel?
  • Thank you Fanatec for the wheel, but I am dying to wait. 
  • Yes, it is disappointing. But it seems to be the right decision. Ship a good product, that is "rock solid". I will wait for it. Regardless the Podium release, it was a good year for you, so don't miss to celebrate it with your employees!

I hope my old CSW V1 will make it until April.
  • Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your update. I know -also from my own experience- how hard this is also for you and your dedicated team. They worked very hard and tried to meet the expected delivery date of begin December. You always run the risk of a possible delay. Yes indeed we both would have rather seen it otherwise. Yep sh*t happens....

With that said. Hope you get these challenging technical issues under control soon and I am looking forward to April-May.

Of course I am staying with you and also the F1 2019 wheel is also very welcome. Appreciated! 

Meanwhile keep the faith and I try to win something via the Advent Calendar this month.  

• Does Pre-Order include winning auction and ordered already?
  • End of April??? After already more than a year of delay? I'm sorry but this is unacceptable. Especially after you have collected the money for the pre-orders. At the point you collect the money from your customers you should be ready to deliver. I will be cancelling my pre-order despite losing out on a free wheel, having already pre-ordered the 2018 wheel this new free wheel means nothing. Perhaps I will look at the DD1 again once you have your act together if I have not purchased another alternative by then, Good luck Fanatec,..
  • What about those of us who have already pre ordered the limited edition F1 2018 wheel? Do we get a different wheel for free or should we cancel out F1 2018 wheel preorder. I have to say this is incredibly disappointing. I find it hard to believe that this has come to light so late in the day. But then again you already have everybody's preorder money so no biggie.
  • Thomas, I just received an email from Fanatec webshop confirming this delay. You have not hidden the email addresses of everyone else that has received the email as well. This against the European General Data Protection Regulation. I can see the email address of everyone that has Pre-ordered the DD1 or DD2, more importantly they can see my email address.
  • I have the same problem, I have bought the f1 limit edition, it will be possible other wheel or a discount in other product by this price? :((
  • Cory ClarkCory Clark Member
    edited December 2018
    Does Pre-Order include winning auction and ordered already?
       The auctions were a form of pre-ordering so it should include it as well.

@Thomas Jackermeier, I ordered a wheel along with the DD1 I won in the auction, can that be sent out or does the wheel only need to be canceled and re-ordered. Or send me the 2018 F1 wheel so I can test it out :D and cancel the GT3 wheel I ordered :D :D
  • edited December 2018
    And there we have it... Thats all I Needed... Thanks for the update Im sure My CSW v2.5 will carry Me through until the DD2 is Shipped... the waiting on the News IMO is Very Bad Public Relations/ Customer Support on Fanatec part and Needs to be handled better in order to Maintain Understanding and Loyalty.... As the Owner of a 911 gt2, CSR Elite, CSW v2, CSW v2.5 wheels, V1, V3, v3i pedals, Xbox Hub w/Forza Rim, Formula Black Rim, McClaren Rim, 918 RSR Porsche Rim, CSW 1.5 shifter, Hand Brake and a Day 1 Pre Order for the DD2 wheel I consider Myself a loyal Customer and all i ask is for Better Communication.
  • Ahh nuts!

Thank you for the free wheel :)

Can you by chance confirm if it will be approx the same button layout as the limited edition one ?

I ask because I preordered that already and would then cancel it in favour of the freebie :)

Thanks!

• Thomas, I just received an email from Fanatec webshop confirming this delay. You have not hidden the email addresses of everyone else that has received the email as well. This against the European General Data Protection Regulation. I can see the email address of everyone that has Pre-ordered the DD1 or DD2, more importantly they can see my email address.
    Just noticed this.  whoops.
  • I have the same problem, I already ordered the F1 2018 limited edition... so could I have a different wheel?
  • edited December 2018

Thank you for the honesty, information & the free gift Thomas! I would rather wait on a solid product than be upset living with a unit that may or may not fail!

Any chance of all pre orders automatically getting a 5 year warranty in place of the standard warranty?

Also with the deliver delay now in effect, when will we see the PS4 version available for pre order?

• I had a feeling that the delay was coming, but never imagined it would be another almost five months...wow! Even with the free wheel, this still hurts :(
  • Question!!

I just ordered DD2 last night around 10pm and got the confirmation email from you at 10:30pm. My question is on my account history it shows the order is been added at 4/12/2018. Do I still get a free steering wheel? Feeling nervous right now.
  • Oh no! Someone just hit "Reply All" to all of us 300. Have they heard of BCC?
  • Good. Make it right the first time. If the DD1 gets good reviews I will buy one when they are available.
  • Bummer... I have pre-ordered the DD2 and the F1 2018 wheel as well and was really looking forward to its release.

I would be way more interested in the upcoming Porsche Modular Steering Wheel that you have teased during the Sim Racing Expo 2018 as a compensation instead of an F1 2019 wheel, that is nearly identical besides the color than the F1 2018 I have pre-ordered, if something like this would be possible.

But nevertheless, thank you for taking this serious and not shipping faulty units. I'm still driving on a very bumpy road with my CSW v2 unit, regarding production-quality/problems, even after 3 RMAs and would be not amused something like this would happen to a 1.500 EUR device as well.
  • Just got the email too and everybody else's email address. So not only can you not deliver on your promise of products but you also can't be trusted to look after our private data correctly. Why do you continue to make such stupid mistakes and let yourselves down so badly?
  • Love the bonus wheel, but man I've got an old porsche gt3 rs v2 wheel that really wants to be replaced and I also have the BMW GT2 wheel showing up soon that was suppose to pair with the DD1.

What I really need is a loaner base. Maybe I can find something used to slap the BMW rim onto.
  • And there we have it... Thats all I Needed... Thanks for the update Im sure My CSW v2.5 will carry Me through until the DD2 is Shipped the waiting on the News IMO is Very Bad Public Relations/ Customer Support on Fanatec part and Needs to be handled better in order to Maintain Understanding and Loyalty.... As the Owner of a 911 gt2, CSR Elite, CSW v2, CSW v2.5 wheels, V1, V3, v3i pedals, Xbox Hub w/Forza Rim, Formula Black Rim, McClaren Rim, 918 RSR Porsche Rim, CSW 1.5 shifter, Hand Brake and a Day 1 Pre Order for the DD2 wheel I consider Myself a loyal Customer and all i ask is for Better Communication.
    Sounds like they literally just made the call to delay it.

That's not an easy decision, I'm sure they were working on solutions, right up to when they made this announcement.
  • Guys... you sent the email with our all email address.
    And still people replying it!! to everybody.

Very disappoint, considering 5 months of delay. 

You could allow us change the wheel or give us credit to spend in another item.

Regards
  • Announced 1.5 years ago, and after this time you will not succeed in making a quality product. Wtf
  • I think that those who pre-ordered a dd1 / dd2 also pre-ordered the f1 during Black Friday if they were interested in it
    I have pre-ordered the dd2 but I did not order f1 on black friday I'm not interested in it because I already have the ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula and I do not like it because it's too small and has wrong ergonomics for me so I get cramped in my hands when I use it
    So I hope they come with an alternative solution for us who are not interested in f1 wheels

• Ahh nuts!

Thank you for the free wheel :)

Can you by chance confirm if it will be approx the same button layout as the limited edition one ?

I ask because I preordered that already and would then cancel it in favour of the freebie :)

Thanks!

Same story here, but can we still cancel the order (f1 wheel) if it is processed and payment is verified. According to their FAQ, we can't!
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    We are currently investigating the data leak issue but it looks like we indeed made a horrible mistake. 

X_X

The only thing we can do at this point is to write another e-mail and to let everybody know that their e-mail adress has been exposed. 

One bad news followed by the next. Not a great day  :(

I am even more sorry for that data leak then for the delay. There is no excuse for something like that. 

My deepest apologies.
  • That's not true.
    I have the F1 2018 limited edition wheel already on Black Friday Pre-ordered.
    You should come up with something if you do not want to scare away the customers.