Steering Wheel Compatibility

Comments

• Greg SnellGreg Snell Member
    edited February 2019
    Joel- The ecosystem of peripherals Fanatec has built is of incredible value to the future of the brand. This played a powerful role in my decision to wait for their dd base rather than going with a competing brand. Fanatec providing or approving an adapter would undercut their advantage. Also, they can’t be responsible for what base you might connect to a rim, but if they supplied the adapter people would expect that. It’s only sound business sense to protect their interface.
  • edited February 2019

The rest of the market enjoys a big (and growing) range of affordable high-end Fanatec steering wheels on the Podium DDs with no limitation and can even use their custom USB corded wheels on our DDs.
    Could you please confirm that the Podium adapter will be release in reasonable time after DD1 and DD2 release date? And if it will have both 70 and 50.8 mm pattern, like the Universal Hub?
    I'd like to use also non-Fanatec steering wheels and this, for me, is the discriminant between going for Podium DD or looking at something else.
  • Liebes Fanatec Team! Seit Jahren suche ich als deutschsprachiger Anwender deutsche Reviews. Nur durch Zufall bin ich darauf hier in eurem Forum gestoßen: Ich finde es schade dass ihr als deutsches Unternehmen keinen deutschsprachigen Inhalt bereitstellt. Vom Simracing Girl kommt leider klarerweise nur englischsprachiger Support. Wäre schön wenn ihr deutschsprachigen Content mal auf eurer Homepage oder über Facebook verlinkt. Eure Zentrale steht in Bayern... sozusagen back to the roots wäre für viele Simracer aus Deutschland, Österreich und der Schweiz ein Traum. Lg aus Bayern
  • Dear Fanatec,
    I am happy with whatever  the decision you have made to make the DD2 that I ordered the best possible offering. I personally don't mind the delays. The only thing I would like to see is regular updates of the progress. Either in an email to those that have purchased or a video on YouTube.
    Keep in mind that others, like myself, have already paid for the product, therefore are carrying the cost of this, and in it not a small amount of money.
    I appreciate you voucher and what you have been doing, just let me know the progress regularly. If it needs more work fine, but be transparent.
    Outside of this i am well invested in Fanatec products and what to keep the momentum going and I love the products.
    Thanks

• edited February 2019
    Could you please confirm that the Podium adapter will be release in reasonable time after DD1 and DD2 release date? And if it will have both 70 and 50.8 mm pattern, like the Universal Hub?
    I'd like to use also non-Fanatec steering wheels and this, for me, is the discriminant between going for Podium DD or looking at something else.
    I'd also like to know this, please give us an answer on this Thomas.

• Dear Fanatec,
    I am happy with whatever  the decision you have made to make the DD2 that I ordered the best possible offering. I personally don't mind the delays. The only thing I would like to see is regular updates of the progress. Either in an email to those that have purchased or a video on YouTube.
    Keep in mind that others, like myself, have already paid for the product, therefore are carrying the cost of this, and in it not a small amount of money.
    I appreciate you voucher and what you have been doing, just let me know the progress regularly. If it needs more work fine, but be transparent.
    Outside of this i am well invested in Fanatec products and what to keep the momentum going and I love the products.
    Thanks

+1
  • edited February 2019

I'd also like to know,  and perhaps also if the podium buttonplate is planned in only one size, or maybe also one that is slightly smaller or larger, or with slightly fewer button in the lower section, to fit certain openwheel / GT designed steeringwheels  like the one from Turn racing which is ment to be mounted to a buttonplate....    unless of course you are planning on making a steeringwheel like that  ( shape and size ) your selves which will fit the podium buttonplate??
  • I would also like to know if you will introduce Podium rims before/with the DD bases offical release? Or all your wheels will be just ClubSport with possibility to add podium stuff like advanced paddles?
  • Hi everyone. I have a G27 Wheel (+shifter), does the ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula V2 fit with this logitech wheel base? You're producing an axesome work Fanatec by the way. Thanks in advance for your answers !
  • Hi everyone. I have a G27 Wheel (+shifter), does the ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula V2 fit with this logitech wheel base? You're producing an axesome work Fanatec by the way. Thanks in advance for your answers !
    thats of course not working. You need a Fanatec Base to be able to use the ClubSport Formula v2 Wheel.
  • I would also like to know if you will introduce Podium rims before/with the DD bases offical release? Or all your wheels will be just ClubSport with possibility to add podium stuff like advanced paddles?
    Is this one podium enough for you? Shown at the Sim racing expo.
    Is this one podium enough for you? Shown at the Sim racing expo.
    Thanks you very f=much for the High res images, if you have more please shoot them below !
  • also I do think guys that the podium will be shipped before the 30th of april. When you preorder a game it gets shipped before so you receive it for the launch day... or even before :D
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    Dear Fanatec,
    Thanks

Thanks Derek, your feedback has been noted.

All I can say is that we are working hard to make it available within a reasonable time frame. And yes, it will have the 70mm and 50.8mm patterns.

I'd also like to know,  and perhaps also if the podium buttonplate is planned in only one size, or maybe also one that is slightly smaller or larger, or with slightly fewer button in the lower section, to fit certain openwheel / GT designed steeringwheels  like the one from Turn racing which is ment to be mounted to a buttonplate....    unless of course you are planning on making a steeringwheel like that  ( shape and size ) your selves which will fit the podium buttonplate??
    Hi Verner, this button plate fits more than one rim - Porsche 911 GT3 rim and the smaller R300 (both were shown at the Expo). It may also be suitable for other after-market rims, and we will make a template available to download and print at 1:1 scale so that you can physically test the fitment. Unfortunately I can't discuss plans for any other products.
  • Armin HabermannArmin Habermann Member, Administrator
    edited February 2019
    Eure Zentrale steht in Bayern... sozusagen back to the roots wäre für viele Simracer aus Deutschland, Österreich und der Schweiz ein Traum. Lg aus Bayern
    Servus Wilfried,

vielen Dank für dein Feedback. Wir verstehen den Wunsch und versuchen auch in Zukunft mehr Inhalte in unterschiedlichen Sprachen anzubieten, allerdings gibt es bei uns keinen "mia san mia" Ansatz. Ja, das HQ steht in Bayern aber die meisten unserer Kunden sprechen NUR andere Sprachen als Deutsch. Unser Team ist maximal international und besteht aus Mitarbeitern verschiedenster Länder, vermutlich sind "nur" 30-50% aus Deutschland. Wir wollen jedem Kunden das bestmögliche bieten und dazu braucht es Fokus. Je mehr Spezialservices wir für deutsche Kunden bieten, desto mehr verlieren wir den Fokus für alle Kunden bzw. benachteiligen wir automatisch andere Nationen, die es sprachlich noch schwerer haben könnten.

Also wie gesagt...danke für das Feedback. Das kommt auf jeden Fall an und wir haben definitiv Bestrebungen bessere Lokalisierung zu bieten. Aber nicht zu jedem Preis ;-)

SORRY @ everybody to harm our own forum rules. This was a question about international localization and therefore I answered in German as an exception since this was the topic. Excursion completed ;-)
  •                
  •                

• edited February 2019
  •  

Thomas Jackermeier, a small suggestion what you guys from Fanatec could/should offer additional is a new kind of angle adapter. I think the old one from the CSW wont work with that kind of 'depth' of the Podium DD's and it will be hard to change the angle in any way.

I would be very interested to buy something like this and maybe many other as well :)

Greetings,

HomieFFM
    We could probably make some more money by tolerating  the use of  our steering wheels on OSW but those customers could end up in a bad surprise with damaged products without warranty. Therefore please take the compatibility notes on our product description serious and use your Fanatec products only in the way they were designed.

• Danke für die Antwort. Wenn ichs richtig übersetzt habe entschuldigst du dich bei anderen dass du auf Deutsch geantwortet hast. Sorry, mir geht es nicht um mia san mia, aber so viel Deutsch darf doch nicht verboten sein. Ich verstehe euren internationalen Ansatz, aber da werden eben viele ausgesperrt, die der englischen Sprache nicht mächtig sind. Und es ist nunmal mühsam englischsprachige Reviews irgendwie zu interpretieren bzw mittels Google Translator verstehen zu können. Klar hab ihr über eure englischsprachigen Reviewer größere Reichweite, aber es gibt auch eine zahlungskräftige Community hier in Deutschland, Österreich und der Schweiz. Bitte vergesst nicht darauf, das wäre wirklich schade. Grüße und danke nochmals für deine Antwort, Wilfried.
  • Dmitry VolskyDmitry Volsky Member
    edited February 2019
    We get several inquiries about the compatibility of our steering wheels to other Direct Drive systems. 

Fanatec is supporting open systems and we made our wheel bases, pedals, shifters and handbrakes compatible with other products as you can use them with USB together with any other brand.

We also allow and welcome the use of custom steering wheels on our wheel bases as long as there is no connection to our electronics and those wheels are using the Universal Hub or the upcoming Podium Wheel Adapter as a basis. This has several reasons:
    • Untested devices can damage your wheel base. The electronics as well as the mechanics.
    • Our products are fully certified (CE, FCC etc.) and this certification is only valid with original Fanatec equipment
    • Our license partners do not tolerate a connection of untested devices on their consoles
    For the same reasons we do not allow the connection of one of our steering wheels to an adapter and use it on an untested non-Fanatec wheel base. You risk damage to your steering wheel and of course will lose the warranty.
    Because it is hard for us to identify if a steering wheel was used on such an adapter we had to encrypt the communication between the wheel base and the steering wheel in order to prevent the wrong usage.

Our Podium DD has a special QR adapter on the base side which prevents any shaking and therefore damage. This is very important with the high forces of Direct Drive Wheels. Therefore I can only emphasize that you should use your Fanatec steering wheels only with Fanatec wheel bases in order to avoid damage.

We could probably make some more money by tolerating  the use of  our steering wheels on OSW but those customers could end up in a bad surprise with damaged products without warranty. Therefore please take the compatibility notes on our product description serious and use your Fanatec products only in the way they were designed.
    Dear Thomas and the company Fanateс!

I want to appeal to you with a big request for help in obtaining true, honest information about our products, which I have already bought and want to buy more, but before me stands a wall of an iron curtain of information (((. I wrote more than one letter to your support service, Of course, they answered me, but their information is different from the general information on the site and from various sources. I ask you, I beg you - to give information to me, the simple buyer of your products. The following questions:
    1. Will I be able to use a BMW GT2 steering wheel with a dd1 base (ps4) - your website does not have information about this, but your support service says that you can ... after that I bought this steering wheel (I have proof of answers), but I heard in one review that this steering wheel will not work at 100% based on the DD1-DD2, the steering wheel recognizing-seeing this steering wheel will reduce the power of the fitback - I would really like to hear the truth - is that so? If so, why did your service deceive me and not give an exact answer? You have little money? so say simple and straightforward - give money! and I would list them to you just the way you feel now that you have deceived me!

2. The same problem with the wheel Mklaren GT3 - I also asked this question to your service more than once - I ask you Thomas, I beg you to tell the truth about the compatibility of these wheels and how they will work with DD1-DD2 - will they reduce and by how much? (I also bought this steering wheel myself, based on the responses from your service!)

3. I want to ask you about the steering wheel of a Porsche RSR 918 - will it work with DD1-DD2 and will it work without reducing the base's efforts? - I ask you Thomas, I beg you - honestly answer this question.

4. And after the question, which I’m sure will reflect the opinion of thousands of your fans, but who crossed out you from the circle of people ... I ask you very much to answer Thomas ... this difficult question (I understand that he is off topic, but at least you can do for ordinary Russian people who are far from politics)

Tell me why for many years you have been selling your products all over the world, but you are not selling to Russia? Do you know Thomas, how do we suffer and experience for this reason?
    Your products cost us 30 and sometimes 40% more expensive than you sell to other countries. I know that many years ago you sold to Russia, but then you left ... We are simple buyers who endure difficult problems in order to buy - I don’t understand how we differ from any other country - if you do it for political reasons - then type courage to say that Fanatek is a rosist company and it distinguishes its customers by their origin!

There are many companies in Europe that sell to Russia and they don’t have any problems with customs or with delivery - the most famous example is ComputerUniversal - I am sure you know this company!

I also know that you have already been approached several times at Simexpo exhibitions with a request to give the Fanatek the opportunity to return to Russia.

Thomas, I am a simple Russian consumer who has been buying your products for almost 10 years and suffers from terrible non-amenities ... To buy my favorite product I bought tickets to Germany on an airplane and flew to pick it up, I asked friends, I asked resellers to do it ... and so do all the people from Russia - well, do you want Thomas in order for us to finally be able to buy from you like real people and buyers from you officially ??? Tell me Thomas!
    I can't stand before you on my knees, but if I could, then I would do it to get at least an honest answer ...  I am 40 years old - how many more years do you need to make this step towards a meeting with a Russian buyer? - can I see this in my life?

I ask you Thomas to give these answers! and I hope and deeply believe that you will not ban me and disconnect my account - which I buy with big problems ...

Thanks you !

I forgot to say that I am not asking you to make a special price for Russia and sell cheaper - I ask you to consider the possibility of selling to Russia from your European office at any price, but to have a real opportunity to buy from YOU!
  • edited February 2019
    We get several inquiries about the compatibility of our steering wheels to other Direct Drive systems. 

Fanatec is supporting open systems and we made our wheel bases, pedals, shifters and handbrakes compatible with other products as you can use them with USB together with any other brand.

We also allow and welcome the use of custom steering wheels on our wheel bases as long as there is no connection to our electronics and those wheels are using the Universal Hub or the upcoming Podium Wheel Adapter as a basis. This has several reasons:
    • Untested devices can damage your wheel base. The electronics as well as the mechanics.
    • Our products are fully certified (CE, FCC etc.) and this certification is only valid with original Fanatec equipment
    • Our license partners do not tolerate a connection of untested devices on their consoles
    For the same reasons we do not allow the connection of one of our steering wheels to an adapter and use it on an untested non-Fanatec wheel base. You risk damage to your steering wheel and of course will lose the warranty.
    Because it is hard for us to identify if a steering wheel was used on such an adapter we had to encrypt the communication between the wheel base and the steering wheel in order to prevent the wrong usage.

Our Podium DD has a special QR adapter on the base side which prevents any shaking and therefore damage. This is very important with the high forces of Direct Drive Wheels. Therefore I can only emphasize that you should use your Fanatec steering wheels only with Fanatec wheel bases in order to avoid damage.

Dear Thomas and the company Fanateс!

I want to appeal to you with a big request for help in obtaining true, honest information about our products, which I have already bought and want to buy more, but before me stands a wall of an iron curtain of information (((. I wrote more than one letter to your support service, Of course, they answered me, but their information is different from the general information on the site and from various sources. I ask you, I beg you - to give information to me, the simple buyer of your products. The following questions:
    1. Will I be able to use a BMW GT2 steering wheel with a dd1 base (ps4) - your website does not have information about this, but your support service says that you can ... after that I bought this steering wheel (I have proof of answers), but I heard in one review that this steering wheel will not work at 100% based on the DD1-DD2, the steering wheel recognizing-seeing this steering wheel will reduce the power of the fitback - I would really like to hear the truth - is that so? If so, why did your service deceive me and not give an exact answer? You have little money? so say simple and straightforward - give money! and I would list them to you just the way you feel now that you have deceived me!

2. The same problem with the wheel Mklaren GT3 - I also asked this question to your service more than once - I ask you Thomas, I beg you to tell the truth about the compatibility of these wheels and how they will work with DD1-DD2 - will they reduce and by how much? (I also bought this steering wheel myself, based on the responses from your service!)

3. I want to ask you about the steering wheel of a Porsche RSR 918 - will it work with DD1-DD2 and will it work without reducing the base's efforts? - I ask you Thomas, I beg you - honestly answer this question.

4. And after the question, which I’m sure will reflect the opinion of thousands of your fans, but who crossed out you from the circle of people ... I ask you very much to answer Thomas ... this difficult question (I understand that he is off topic, but at least you can do for ordinary Russian people who are far from politics)

Tell me why for many years you have been selling your products all over the world, but you are not selling to Russia? Do you know Thomas, how do we suffer and experience for this reason?
    Your products cost us 30 and sometimes 40% more expensive than you sell to other countries. I know that many years ago you sold to Russia, but then you left ... We are simple buyers who endure difficult problems in order to buy - I don’t understand how we differ from any other country - if you do it for political reasons - then type courage to say that Fanatek is a rosist company and it distinguishes its customers by their origin!

There are many companies in Europe that sell to Russia and they don’t have any problems with customs or with delivery - the most famous example is ComputerUniversal - I am sure you know this company!

I also know that you have already been approached several times at Simexpo exhibitions with a request to give the Fanatek the opportunity to return to Russia.

Thomas, I am a simple Russian consumer who has been buying your products for almost 10 years and suffers from terrible non-amenities ... To buy my favorite product I bought tickets to Germany on an airplane and flew to pick it up, I asked friends, I asked resellers to do it ... and so do all the people from Russia - well, do you want Thomas in order for us to finally be able to buy from you like real people and buyers from you officially ??? Tell me Thomas!
    I can't stand before you on my knees, but if I could, then I would do it to get at least an honest answer ...  I am 40 years old - how many more years do you need to make this step towards a meeting with a Russian buyer? - can I see this in my life?

I ask you Thomas to give these answers! and I hope and deeply believe that you will not ban me and disconnect my account - which I buy with big problems ...

Thanks you !

I forgot to say that I am not asking you to make a special price for Russia and sell cheaper - I ask you to consider the possibility of selling to Russia from your European office at any price, but to have a real opportunity to buy from YOU!
    1. Yes, BMW wheel works 100% 2. Yes, McLaren works 100% when using the ClubSport Quick Release Adapter. Without the Adapter the Torque output ist limited to CSW v2.5 level at around 8 Nm peak. 3. Yes, Porsche wheel works 100% Honestly, all this questions were answered already. EVERY steering wheel is compatible with the DD Bases. ONLY CSL wheels with the plastic Quick Release will have reduced Torque output to CSW v2.5 level at around 8Nm. ALL the other ClubSport wheels work with 100% FFB.
  • Florian Licht February 22 Flag @Thomas Jackermeier, a small suggestion what you guys from Fanatec could/should offer additional is a new kind of angle adapter. I think the old one from the CSW wont work with that kind of 'depth' of the Podium DD's and it will be hard to change the angle in any way. I would be very interested to buy something like this and maybe many other as well :) +1. I've got a RSeat RS1 rig, and the angle of my V2.5 is perfect now, with the STANDARD adapter, included in the CSW package. As I can't get the angle higher with my RS1 rig. I've seen and used the DDs at the expo, and I also tried my CSW without the angle adapter. And to me... It's not a good angle, especially not with the formula rims. So please Thomas, create us an angle adapter.
  • Sorry for the one liner, but I cant help it. ENTER has no function on a smartphone.
  • Danke für die Antwort. Wenn ichs richtig übersetzt habe entschuldigst du dich bei anderen dass du auf Deutsch geantwortet hast. Sorry, mir geht es nicht um mia san mia, aber so viel Deutsch darf doch nicht verboten sein. Ich verstehe euren internationalen Ansatz, aber da werden eben viele ausgesperrt, die der englischen Sprache nicht mächtig sind. Und es ist nunmal mühsam englischsprachige Reviews irgendwie zu interpretieren bzw mittels Google Translator verstehen zu können. Klar hab ihr über eure englischsprachigen Reviewer größere Reichweite, aber es gibt auch eine zahlungskräftige Community hier in Deutschland, Österreich und der Schweiz. Bitte vergesst nicht darauf, das wäre wirklich schade. Grüße und danke nochmals für deine Antwort, Wilfried.
    Everyone can find Google translate. And YES it's not optimal, but it's understandable. If German television didn't always desycronize an English movie to German... The problem would be a lot less. There are more people in THE WORLD that don't understand German than there are not understanding English. Rest my case >:)
    Angel adapter/ Mounting brakets, this would be very nice for the DD's :)
  • edited February 2019
    Agree with the angle brakets: I've seen in the Simracinggirl's video that the wheel looks totaly vertical, so it would be very unconfortable. You have to low your seat and then you can't see the screen.

A brakets with a 30 degrees angle as the included with CSW, would be perfect.
  • Florian LichtFlorian Licht Member
    edited February 2019
    Agree with the angle brakets: I've seen in the Simracinggirl's video that the wheel looks totaly vertical, so it would be very unconfortable. You have to low your seat and then you can't see the screen.

A brakets with a 30 degrees angle as the included with CSW, would be perfect.

Yeah 100% , I asked if something like this will be included, but it wont... they said: ''We will of course consider offering an new type of angle adapter if there is sufficient demand for it. Your feedback has been noted.''

So there is nothing in production, they are not even thinking really about it unless there  is ''sufficient demand for it'' ... I don't understand this, this is some basic stuff that everybody believes is already included maybe, the DD's in this vertical position will be no fun at all....

but well, maybe some aftermarkets will offer something to buy...
  • Doesn't every other wheel has some sort of angle, even if it is built into the base?
  • Fanatec bases have. But other DD bases like Bodnar, Accuforce, OSW etc don't.