Podium Series Status Update: Shipments begin next month, first batch stock almost sold out!

Comments

• There are no plans to sell the DD1 PS4 Base as a standalone version according to several posts. And of course you also can't choose a different wheel as this is a PS4 licensed bundle package.
    Yikes! guess i better plan of selling extra gear on eBay 

• I saw a graphic recently that showed holding torque of the dd2 at 15nm. On the official fanatec website it mentions that it is not less 18nm. For the dd1 it also mentions not less than 15nm holding torque, so will this be less if the dd2 is 15nm? Cheers
  • I saw a graphic recently that showed holding torque of the dd2 at 15nm. On the official fanatec website it mentions that it is not less 18nm. For the dd1 it also mentions not less than 15nm holding torque, so will this be less if the dd2 is 15nm? Cheers
    The value of 15Nm holding Torque was mentioned in the introduction video with a mention that this was tested with an EXTREME scenario which will never happen during racing. Holding Torque for racing condition is 18Nm for the DD2 with Peaks up to 25Nm.
  • @Maurice Böschen Thanks for answer ! I just can't find information for it. I thought they attach too far on the base.
    Mhm weird that you didn't found any info as it is well described in the Webshop description of the DD Bases... "Mount for ClubSport Static Shifter Paddles and other optional accessories • Connection ports for peripheral devices: USB, Power, Pedals, Shifter 1, Shifter 2, Handbrake" They will be front-mounted just like on the CSW and CSL Bases.
    Oh I see ! I bet I didn't look so good.. Again thanks !
  • All pre-orderered Units of the DD1 and the Racing Wheel come with the DD2 motor. The development of a new motor will still take quite some time and we will make it very clear in the product name and description once we change the motor.
    I was just about to pull the trigger on one of the three DD's when I read the post saying that the first batch was sold out, but if I read your comment correctly Thomas, then the next batch of DD1 and PS4 DD's will also contain the DD2 motor, is that correct? even though first delivered in june.
    Just want to make sure that I get a DD2 motor even if I should end up ordering a DD1 or PS4 DD instead of a DD2 before a week or so has gone by....
  • All pre-orderered Units of the DD1 and the Racing Wheel come with the DD2 motor. The development of a new motor will still take quite some time and we will make it very clear in the product name and description once we change the motor.
    I was just about to pull the trigger on one of the three DD's when I read the post saying that the first batch was sold out, but if I read your comment correctly Thomas, then the next batch of DD1 and PS4 DD's will also contain the DD2 motor, is that correct? even though first delivered in june.
    Just want to make sure that I get a DD2 motor even if I should end up ordering a DD1 or PS4 DD instead of a DD2 before a week or so has gone by....
    YES, EVERY pre-order will get the DD2 motor UNTIL Fanatec make an official announcement that a new DD1 motor is used which will also be very Cleary stated in the product description according to Thomas post.
  • Hristo GoshevHristo Goshev Member
    edited March 2019
    Is there a chance the first motor for the DD1 which you said did not meet the standard for Podium wheel base to be used in a ClubSport Direct Drive Wheel Base?
  • Paul HartlPaul Hartl Member
    edited March 2019
    I saw a graphic recently that showed holding torque of the dd2 at 15nm. On the official fanatec website it mentions that it is not less 18nm. For the dd1 it also mentions not less than 15nm holding torque, so will this be less if the dd2 is 15nm? Cheers
    The value of 15Nm holding Torque was mentioned in the introduction video with a mention that this was tested with an EXTREME scenario which will never happen during racing. Holding Torque for racing condition is 18Nm for the DD2 with Peaks up to 25Nm.
    Thanks for clarifying that Maurice, you are a wealth of knowledge on these forums.
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    edited March 2019
    Is there a chance the first motor for the DD1 which you said did not meet the standard for Podium wheel base to be used in a ClubSport Direct Drive Wheel Base?
    Unfortunately not.. It would be too expensive. The outrunner and wireless tech nology we use on the Podium wheel bases is the most advanced technology used out there and far more expensive to produce than those standard inrunner servo motors used by OSW for example, We can only achieve those super competitive prices due to direct marketing and the large volume we buy.

A more affordable Clubsport or even CSL DD would be a logical next step but it requires a complete new development of the entire wheel base and motor.
  • Will there be a side mounting kit available to purchase the DD wheel bases, if they are will they be released at the same time as the wheel base?
  • Hristo GoshevHristo Goshev Member
    edited March 2019
    Unfortunately not.. It would be too expensive. 
    Thanks for the answer!
    :-bd
  • Hi Thomas, I would like to place an order on the PS4 DD bundle but I want to make sure I could attach the direct drive wheel base to my RS1 seat. It would be a bummer if not... Secondly I want to order an additional wheel with the bundle for rally games. What wheel can I buy to play rally on the SP4 with this direct drive base? I just want to make sure it will be compatible all the way with another Fanatec wheel on PS4 with quick release and full power of DD? Or should I wait for you to release new wheels in the future? I must say playing rally games with a F1 wheel.... Thanks. I will place my order as soon as I get your answer.
  • edited March 2019
    Henri R said:
    Hi Thomas, I would like to place an order on the PS4 DD bundle but I want to make sure I could attach the direct drive wheel base to my RS1 seat. It would be a bummer if not... Secondly I want to order an additional wheel with the bundle for rally games. What wheel can I buy to play rally on the SP4 with this direct drive base? I just want to make sure it will be compatible all the way with another Fanatec wheel on PS4 with quick release and full power of DD? Or should I wait for you to release new wheels in the future? I must say playing rally games with a F1 wheel.... Thanks. I will place my order as soon as I get your answer.
    The DD Bases use the same 3 mounting hole pattern as the CSW (without angle bracket) so yes, the RS1 generally is compatible as that rig has holes for Fanatec bases. There is also a drilling template on the download page of the DD which you can print 1:1 to have a look if everything will work as the DD Bases are a lot larger than the CSW and CSL Bases. Regarding steering wheel: EVERY steering wheel is compatible on PS4 with the DD1 Racing Wheel for PS4. Torque is ONLY limited on all kind of CSL wheels with the Plastic Semi-Quick-Release.
  • Brillient news indeed!

I’m pleased to confirm that we are on track to ship the first batch of the Podium Series direct drive systems on April 30th. This includes all three systems: Podium Wheel Base DD1, Podium Wheel Base DD2, and Podium Racing Wheel F1® PS4™. All units already pre-ordered until now will ship on time.

Please note that due to high demand, we are very nearly sold out worldwide for this first batch. In fact, some variants are already sold out in some regions, for example the Podium Racing Wheel F1® PS4™ in Australia, and the Podium Wheel Base DD2 in Europe. So if you see the estimated availability date change on the product page, this isn’t because we are delayed, it’s because you’ve missed the first batch!

Production continues to ramp up and we are beginning to prepare the second batch, which will ship in June. Thank you for your patience; we’re really excited to get this remarkable technology into your hands.

• What are the dimensions of the powers supply and how long is the lead between the wheelbase and power supply?
  • Excellent - now onto the pedals, I hope?  I'm using the CS v3, and while it's definitely the nicest pedal set I've ever had, there are things that would happily get me to buy a Podium pedal set to go with my DD2:
    • getting rid of the PU foam - I can feel the wax sticking when I brake, but I'd still like more travel than the existing Eladur kit would offer
    • enclosing the rumble motors, perhaps with replaceable cables, as they're easily damaged
    A softer Eladur brake with an adjustable pre-travel coil spring would be perfect; if someone wants firmer Eladur, design the pedals so that the Eladur can be swapped out without risk of crushing the rumble motor cables.  A Hall effect throttle would be fine; I know some pedals use a load cell here, but I would rather see more engineering and build cost put into the brake than the throttle, and in a real car, throttle would be measured by position, not force, anyway.

Thanks!
  • Excellent - now onto the pedals, I hope?  I'm using the CS v3, and while it's definitely the nicest pedal set I've ever had, there are things that would happily get me to buy a Podium pedal set to go with my DD2:
    • getting rid of the PU foam - I can feel the wax sticking when I brake, but I'd still like more travel than the existing Eladur kit would offer
    • enclosing the rumble motors, perhaps with replaceable cables, as they're easily damaged
    A softer Eladur brake with an adjustable pre-travel coil spring would be perfect; if someone wants firmer Eladur, design the pedals so that the Eladur can be swapped out without risk of crushing the rumble motor cables.  A Hall effect throttle would be fine; I know some pedals use a load cell here, but I would rather see more engineering and build cost put into the brake than the throttle, and in a real car, throttle would be measured by position, not force, anyway.

Thanks!
    Maybe you should read the product page again, the V3 is already using hall sensors for throttle and clutch. The only pedale using a loadcell with force is the brake.
  • Hi Thomas,

Order placed for the PS4 DD. Thanks. But it doesn't say if I will be delivered with the first batch? I am living in Europe. Thanks.

• edited March 2019
    Henri R said:
    Hi Thomas,

Order placed for the PS4 DD. Thanks. But it doesn't say if I will be delivered with the first batch? I am living in Europe. Thanks.

If you have placed your order after Friday, then you will be in the second batch as the first batch was sold out on Friday. The date which was shown on the product page when you ordered (which you can also find in your order history) is the shipping date. It's either 30.04 or 14.06

Thanks!
    Maybe you should read the product page again, the V3 is already using hall sensors for throttle and clutch. The only pedale using a loadcell with force is the brake.
    I'm aware of what uses what in the v3.  By "other pedals" I was referring to the competitors they'll be taking on in this space - we all know who they are, but it's rude to name competitors on a company's product announcement blog.
  • But even then, I don’t get your point... why should they make podium pedal without the good hall sensor they have already? That you were referring to competitors was a misunderstanding from my side there... I really like my V3s and believe that podium pedals won’t show up this year...
  • I'm happy with my v3 pedals, but I can see a more user friendly tuning design would be a nice thing, possibly for a CS V4 set. When you look at the space for a Podium pedal set, it seems that you might go with hydraulic master cylinders to really take it to the next level.
  • C NC N Member
    @Fanatec - in short I preordered and prepaid the DD1 and a BMW rim very early  [plus another one that I cancelled, due to a promise of that F1 rim]. WIll I receive my DD1 with the BMW rim on the launch, and the F1 rim will be sent over when released, or will my shioppment be held back due to the F1 rim not being released yet?

Also, will I have to actually ORDER the F1 rim? I thought the sales team would just add it to my order [at least thats how it was supposed to be few months ago] themselves. So do I need to take any action in this area?
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    @Fanatec - in short I preordered and prepaid the DD1 and a BMW rim very early  [plus another one that I cancelled, due to a promise of that F1 rim]. WIll I receive my DD1 with the BMW rim on the launch, and the F1 rim will be sent over when released, or will my shioppment be held back due to the F1 rim not being released yet?

Also, will I have to actually ORDER the F1 rim? I thought the sales team would just add it to my order [at least thats how it was supposed to be few months ago] themselves. So do I need to take any action in this area?
    Hi Cezary, I recommend that you discuss the exact shipping details of these products with our sales team. They can be reached via the email webshop (at) fanatec (dot) com. With regards to the F1 2019 wheel, you will indeed have to order it. You will be given VIP access that guarantees a unit (it is again a limited edition).
  • When are we expecting to see new steering wheels that were going to be launched with the DD's?  I was quite excited to see more Porsche rims arriving but it appears to gone very quite unless I missed something.

• Dear Fanatec,

I own a "club sport steering wheel F1 LE" and the DD1 base  pre ordered.  ( First time use Fanatec)

I hope to ask & know about when will release the "New Pedals" of the Podium Series. I have this thinking I think make sense.
    you know? I don't want to making a situation like after I buy the pedals V3 then you guys release a pedals of podium series. 

Thank you

• This situation is complicated for newcomers. The podium is more for the ones that already have fanatec gear
  • Henri R said:
    Hi Thomas, I would like to place an order on the PS4 DD bundle but I want to make sure I could attach the direct drive wheel base to my RS1 seat. It would be a bummer if not... Secondly I want to order an additional wheel with the bundle for rally games. What wheel can I buy to play rally on the SP4 with this direct drive base? I just want to make sure it will be compatible all the way with another Fanatec wheel on PS4 with quick release and full power of DD? Or should I wait for you to release new wheels in the future? I must say playing rally games with a F1 wheel.... Thanks. I will place my order as soon as I get your answer.
    The DD Bases use the same 3 mounting hole pattern as the CSW (without angle bracket) so yes, the RS1 generally is compatible as that rig has holes for Fanatec bases. There is also a drilling template on the download page of the DD which you can print 1:1 to have a look if everything will work as the DD Bases are a lot larger than the CSW and CSL Bases. Regarding steering wheel: EVERY steering wheel is compatible on PS4 with the DD1 Racing Wheel for PS4. Torque is ONLY limited on all kind of CSL wheels with the Plastic Semi-Quick-Release.
    This is not entirely true, on the first RS1 wheel supports (mine is from january 2015), there's no drilling for the CSL bases. I'm in this case and asked Rseat Europe how to get the new wheel support so i can attach correctly my CSL Elite for PS4 base and, in the future, the DD1 for PS4.

You wan't drill the old support as you would be in the weldings...
  • Greg SnellGreg Snell Member
    edited March 2019
    What connections do the DD bases use? I have my handbrake connected to my v3 pedals(rj?), and then my pedals connected to my v2 base also rj type. Do these bases require/support usb, and what type(s)? It looks like the base has 8 connections of some type(s) from the pictures, but I want to be sure I have all the right cables when my base arrives!;)
  • But even then, I don’t get your point... why should they make podium pedal without the good hall sensor they have already?
    Which is exactly what I said ("a Hall effect throttle would be fine").  What exactly are you disagreeing with me about?