DD2 motor permanently for DD1

Comments

• I've ordered now.
    I think it's fair, what Fanatec is doing. They tried to fix the issues with the smaller motor but can't. Everyone who has ordered get the bigger motor for the smaller price.
    Fanatec hasn't raised the price now. No, they've sent mails and made it public on all social possibilities and are witing a week until they want to raise the price.
    Everyone who has bought early and has to wait has gotten a voucher, where you can buy a wheel now.

What else could they do for the customers? I'm feeling that there isn't much that they can do more.
  • Good way to get another influx of money to pay for all those kindly gifted vouchers... Clever! Fanatec has stretched themselves pretty thin over the last 6 months to bring us some great products. I’m super happy with my DD1 and 2018 LE. I also bought V3’s and the Porsche 918 rim and I’m real happy with all of it! Thanks Fanatec for all the hard work and happy racing to all!
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    So please, when is the control software going to be available ?
    i want to buy a DD wheelbase, but a tad concerned about the availability of the software, or lack of it thus far ?
    All I can say is 'soon'. We could launch it now but we're holding back for polish and stability reasons. It's important to stress that our direct drive system is unlike many of the other solutions on the market, where the out-of-the-box experience is plug and play, and the default behaviour and 'feel' is already very well dialled in. Plus, there is the advantage of the Tuning Menu, which allows you to tune the FFB while you drive, including advanced sliders like Natural Damper and Natural Friction. In other words, the new software is not necessary to get a huge amount of enjoyment from the hardware already (indeed, the software is not functional on console, and the Podium Series is easily the highest performance and best feeling force feedback system for both Xbox One and PS4.
  • E recibido mi base dd1, pero no me queda claro,¿ es una dd2 en realidad?¿ Con 25nm?
  • E recibido mi base dd1, pero no me queda claro,¿ es una dd2 en realidad?¿ Con 25nm?
    This forum is English only, please use a Translator and ask your Queestion again in English.
  • Hello Dominic,
    Are you planning on bringing the 5 years warranty option on the Podium DD1 PS4 since it's possible to get it on the standard DD1?
    Thanks.
  • Does anyone know if the ps4 version and the dd1 will include the killswitch since they are being shipped with the more powerful dd2 motor? Thanks for the clarification!
  • Does anyone know if the ps4 version and the dd1 will include the killswitch since they are being shipped with the more powerful dd2 motor? Thanks for the clarification!
    The Killswitch is optional for these two models and the Killswitch will be available in the webshop soon.
    They are still 5Nm less powerful vs the DD2, even with the same motor so the Killswitch is not REALLY needed. Its anyway more a useful tool to power on the base and I bet thats the main use case for everyone.
  • Received my base dd1, but it is not clear to me, is it really a dd2? With 25nm?
  • Received my base dd1, but it is not clear to me, is it really a dd2? With 25nm?
    ..... No, of course its not a DD2. It has the DD2 motor BUT different electronics, therefore 5Nm less Holding and Peak Torque and slower acceleration.
  • edited May 2019
    Received my base dd1, but it is not clear to me, is it really a dd2? With 25nm?
    No, it is a DD1 using the motor of the DD2. The DD1 uses different electronics, so it is not as powerful as a DD2. The DD1 has 20 Nm (peak torque), even with the DD2 motor.
    The Killswitch is optional for these two models and the Killswitch will be available in the webshop soon.
    They are still 5Nm less powerful vs the DD2, even with the same motor so the Killswitch is not REALLY needed. Its anyway more a useful tool to power on the base and I bet thats the main use case for everyone.
    Hmm, I'm curious as to why they have limited the torque in the two "lower end" models if using the same motor? Why not let the early adopters get dd2 torque values as well, sounds like it is software restricted. I know it's only 5nm but it would be a nice bonus for ps4 and dd1 users lol.
    Hmm, I'm curious as to why they have limited the torque in the two "lower end" models if using the same motor? Why not let the early adopters get dd2 torque values as well, sounds like it is software restricted. I know it's only 5nm but it would be a nice bonus for ps4 and dd1 users lol.
    They used different electronic parts, its not software or firmware limited. And when they would offer a DD1 with same Torque level as DD2.. Whats the purpose of the DD2 in the first place? Then they could only sell one Base. Of course one has to be weaker than the other, hence the price difference... lol.
  • Although the DD1 will eventually use the same motor as the DD2, this one will have its power restricted to DD1 specs.
    Same as for the waranty. The one with included 3 years of warranty will cost 1200€, not 1100€ (DD1 +100€ 3rd year of warranty).

I would gladly accept any bonus, but I'm not dreaming either.
    En espanol: No, tu base DD1 tiene el mismo motor. Pero esta capado electronicamente o por hw,. No se sabe. La diferencia es que en Torque el DD1 puede sostener 15nm con picos de 20nm. Y el DD2 tiene de torque sostenido 20NM y picos de 25NM.
  • Joel BarsottiJoel Barsotti Member
    edited May 2019
    Although the DD1 will eventually use the same motor as the DD2, this one will have its power restricted to DD1 specs.
    Same as for the waranty. The one with included 3 years of warranty will cost 1200€, not 1100€ (DD1 +100€ 3rd year of warranty).

I would gladly accept any bonus, but I'm not dreaming either.
    All DD1 wheel bases use and will continue to use the DD2 motor.
    All DD1 wheel bases are limited to 20nm.
    The DD1 is not changing in anyway from it's launch configuration.

If there are any other actual differences between the DD1 and the DD2 in the hardware beyond a firmware chip to make sure you can't cross flash a wheelbase, I would expect that it's limited to the size of the capacitors on the circuit boards.

Fanatec doesn't need to compensate anyone for anything, their handling of the pricing and roll out of these changes has been above reproach. I'm sure if you want the longer 3yr warranty you could pay the $99 and still be $100 less than what it will be after the price hike.
  • I am confused

If I order the Podium Wheel (PS4) before May 7th , do I get the regular DD2 base or I get the one limited to 20nm?

• I am confused

If I order the Podium Wheel (PS4) before May 7th , do I get the regular DD2 base or I get the one limited to 20nm?

You will get DD1 base with DD2 motor limited to 20 Nm torque.
  • I am confused

No, as the blog post says you get a DD1 with a DD2 motor BUT with different electronics and therefore eith less Torque.
  • I am confused

No, as the blog post says you get a DD1 with a DD2 motor BUT with different electronics and therefore eith less Torque.
    I don't think the electronic is different, i'm just saying..
  • I am confused

I don't think the electronic is different, i'm just saying..
    They are.
  • Good afternoon I have acquired a podium base dd1 and to turn it off I keep the button on off and the white light of the button goes off, but the screen of the dd1 and the power supply are still on. Should not everything be turned off completely?
  • Let stop saying DD2 motor.

There is 1 one motor for all 3 bases.

The DD1 and PS4 models are configured for 20nm, the DD2 is configured for 25nm.

• Ok... Then, ordering after May 7th the Podium Wheel (PS4) will ship with the regular torque (not limited) DD2 base and longer warranty ...?
  • Ok... Then, ordering after May 7th the Podium Wheel (PS4) will ship with the regular torque (not limited) DD2 base and longer warranty ...?
    1. No and 2. Yes. Regarding first question: there is no (and never will be) a DD1 with the same Torque as DD2! The DD1 has 5Nm less Torque and slower acceleration because it uses different electronics.
  • Benjamin KusBenjamin Kus Member
    edited May 2019
    Let stop saying DD2 motor.

This is how it should have been advertised from the start. People don't need to know the internal specifics of the motor, the capacitors, the electronics - just like the other manufacturers do. If you do, buy some and tear them down for comparison.

There are 3 versions of Fanatec Direct Drive Wheel.
    1. DD1 with 20Nm 
    2. DD2 with 25Nm
    3. Podium Wheel PS4, licensed with Sony as a complete package with 20Nm

Fanatec doesn't need to tell us if they make small revisions over time, as long as the wheel bases meet the marketed specifications. If they change the motor - so what, as long as it meets spec.

Do you really need the extra warranty? Fanatec advertise these as "This is the last wheel base you’ll ever need!"

I just can't wait until my DD2 finally arrives tomorrow in Aus & I can use my F1 2018. Coming from a T300RS
  • Kustom said:

This is how it should have been advertised from the start. People don't need to know the internal specifics of the motor, the capacitors, the electronics - just like the other manufacturers do. If you do, buy some and tear them down for comparison.

There are 3 versions of Fanatec Direct Drive Wheel.
    1. DD1 with 20Nm 
    2. DD2 with 25Nm
    3. Podium Wheel PS4, licensed with Sony as a complete package with 20Nm

Fanatec doesn't need to tell us if they make small revisions over time, as long as the wheel bases meet the marketed specifications. If they change the motor - so what, as long as it meets spec.

Do you really need the extra warranty? Fanatec advertise these as "This is the last wheel base you’ll ever need!"

I just can't wait until my DD2 finally arrives tomorrow in Aus & I can use my F1 2018. Coming from a T300RS
    Got my dd1 on Friday, I also in Australia.
  • when is the golden bracket.
    presented on the site.
    where the dd2 and the dd1. can be screwed on 
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator

I agree Joel. But the word has been out there (since last year) that we are using the larger motor in the DD1s, as it was one of the reasons for the extended development period. We decided to mention it again as a reason for the price adjustment, which has resulted in some confusion around the naming system and how the three products are configured, so for now I'll keep clarifying it, at least if someone asks a direct question, or if I see some incorrect information being spread around the forums.

when is the golden bracket.
    presented on the site.
    where the dd2 and the dd1. can be screwed on 
    Not available just yet (we recently made some improvements to the design). They are coming!