backlash, gap in Podium DD1

Good day! I'm very upset (I have a new DD1 base and a lot of steering wheels from you ... but I have a problem on the wheels McLaren, HUB XBOX, Porsche, BMW, Formula Carbon - playing with these wheels in different games even on a small fitback (power ) I feel that when I turn left and then right sharply, I start to feel that I turned the steering wheel and then there is a small gap (backlash, gap,) between the steering wheel and the base, as if the steering wheel itself is somehow flimsy and there is no feeling of one whole steering wheel and base. it should not be! it feels like the steering wheel is slipping in the place where it got stronger go to the base !!! - I even started using the counter-bolt to fix the steering wheel and the base stock itself! what should I do? this problem is on all the wheels - but on the Maclaren and on the X-box Hub - this problem is most of all.
Could I explain the problem? - help! Can supplement

I would like to clarify the data on my last appeal. The problem manifests itself with the xbox hub (which is green on the quick release) - it loosens very much even when I insert and fix the bolt in the center ... And the problem repeats with the McLaren steering wheel, but if I fix the central bolt then the problem becomes smaller, but it also exists ... (... With a BMW steering wheel, everything works as it should - it’s like cast, as a unit with the base! With the steering wheel, the carbon formula is also good!, but with a Porsche steering wheel, there is a very small backlash least , but he is .... The strongest thing on the Xbox Hub is this problem ... help what to do? Can supplement

Can supplement : 

Comments

• edited August 2019
    Have you checked that you have positioned the QR ring on the DD properly, i.e. not unscrewed too far? See page 8 of the manual (https://www.fanatec.com/download/P-RW-F1Manual-US-EN_web.pdf)?
    If you unscrew the ring too far, pushing the wheel onto the QR will push the rubber ring further behind, tightening the ring then can make it feel like it’s tightened but the rubber ring is not yet compressed and hence there may be room for the wheel to move.

• Have you checked that you have positioned the QR ring on the DD properly, i.e. not unscrewed too far? See page 8 of the manual (https://www.fanatec.com/download/P-RW-F1Manual-US-EN_web.pdf)?
    If you unscrew the ring too far, pushing the wheel onto the QR will push the rubber ring further behind, tightening the ring then can make it feel like it’s tightened but the rubber ring is not yet compressed and hence there may be room for the wheel to move.

• Have you checked that you have positioned the QR ring on the DD properly, i.e. not unscrewed too far? See page 8 of the manual (https://www.fanatec.com/download/P-RW-F1Manual-US-EN_web.pdf)?

Have you checked that you have positioned the QR ring on the DD properly, i.e. not unscrewed too far? See page 8 of the manual (https://www.fanatec.com/download/P-RW-F1Manual-US-EN_web.pdf)?

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    Hi Dmitry, it looks like you have been trying to respond to Remco but I'm not seeing any text. The reason why your wheels feel slightly different to each other is due to the manufacturing tolerances in the quick release mechanism. The expandable rubber sleeve on the Podium wheel base quick releases is designed to minimise this kind of movement. As Remco says, please ensure that you are connecting your wheels correctly (without allowing the rubber sleeve to slip backwards - this is demonstrated at 4:15 in this video: ). This allows the locking nut to tighten and expand the sleeve inside the QR effectively. It can also be useful to lubricate these components with silicone grease, as this will help you to tighten the locking ring.
  • Do I need to grease the gum itself? or just a ring? Can I use the grease that comes with the fanatic brake mod?
    Hi Dmitry, it looks like you have been trying to respond to Remco but I'm not seeing any text. The reason why your wheels feel slightly different to each other is due to the manufacturing tolerances in the quick release mechanism. The expandable rubber sleeve on the Podium wheel base quick releases is designed to minimise this kind of movement. As Remco says, please ensure that you are connecting your wheels correctly (without allowing the rubber sleeve to slip backwards - this is demonstrated at 4:15 in this video: ). This allows the locking nut to tighten and expand the sleeve inside the QR effectively. It can also be useful to lubricate these components with silicone grease, as this will help you to tighten the locking ring.

• Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    Do I need to grease the gum itself? or just a ring? Can I use the grease that comes with the fanatic brake mod?
    You can apply a generous amount of silicone grease to this area, both around the rubber sleeve and on the metal parts of the locking ring and nut (not so much that it interferes with the internal electronic connectors!). You should not use the grease from the Brake Performance Kit - this is Lithium Grease and is not suitable for the rubber sleeve. We recommend silicone grease.
  • edited September 2019
    I have the same problem with the Dd2 and the CSW R300 (Universal Hub + R300). When the direction of the force changes, there is a notable "click" in the wheel (audible and feelable), like there is play in the quick release, though I am not sure, there is really play in the Quickrelease. I tryed putting my finger next to the quickrelease adpater touching the adpater and the wheelshaft. When the click occurs, I can not feel any movement between the to parts. Maybe there is something in the Universalhub itself that is moving just a bit...
    When putting the wheel on, I make sure that the ring touching the rubber and when the wheel is put on I use the ring to compress the rubber inside the quick release, but still. What should I do? I do not have this problem with my formula v2 wheel...
  • edited October 2020

I'm having the same problem either.

It started last week-end and it was subtile and now it is unplayable.

It totally kill the immersion when you feel that everytime you ask the car to change direction suddently.

Here is a short video where we can hear the noise that the loosen gap play make :

My V2.5 was doing it either and I tought the belt was slipping and I bought a direct drive Podium to get rid of it and after 10 months my DD is now doing it and I play assetto corsa at 90% gain and my DD is set at 45% with FEI at 70%. I dont think this wheel base has ever worked really hard.

• On my DD2 with the V2 formula rim I can definitely feel this type of slop/play on quick counter steering inputs particularly at 15 Nm+. It does not feel nice. I have correctly set the rubber before mounting the rim..

I think fanatec may need a little rethink on their QR system..

• I Just started to have the same issue with my Fanatec DD1 just like in Kevin Tremblay's short video and I tried what was suggested by Dominic Brennan but the issue is still present. Is there really no solution to this problem?