Quick Release...Not Releasing

I have the GT3 McLaren rim with the black quick release. When compressing and pulling the quick release, it starts to slide off but then hits a hard stop. I’m using a podium DD1 and I’ve fully loosened the rubber stop. I’m at my wits end. It just seems...stuck. Can anyone advise if they’ve encountered a similar issue? Thanks.

Comments

• Never encountered that one. A bit of 'extra force' does not do the trick? Does it feel like the QR compresses properly, or does it already stop too early so that it basically doesn't release completely?
  • edited August 2019
    Okay, this happened to me twice while being somewhere off this planet so I'll just throw it in here: I assume you didn't use the screw to attach the QR to the wheelbase?
  • Extra force does not do the trick. I’ve applied good force for sure. Also tried a little grease on the shaft and rubber. It slides nicely then (seems right before coming off) gets stuck harshly. No screw in the QR, no.
  • Here’s a video. Removed the rim from the QR.
  • edited August 2019
    Really strange one. I'd try twisting the rim w.r.t. the wheel base hub to see if you can force loose whatever is blocking the QR, but for that you would need an extra pair of hands to stop the steering axle from turning.

Also, you say that it 'stops harshly' right before it comes off. Does it feel like metal against metal?
  • You could try rotating the QR spring a little. It may be that the spring gets behind one of the QR ball bearings, preventing it from releasing the QR.
    I'll see if I can upload or link to a video showing how to do that (though it's not that difficult to find out yourself).

• Here's the video attached.
  • I have the DD2 and have the same problem.  I have checked the pins, checked QR alignment and lubed the rubber spacer ring.  Nothing helps.  My wheel is definitely not a QR system as advertised and I'm worried if I remove or change out my wheel often, I will damage either the QR or the DD2.  It appears to me, there is a tolerance issue or a quality control issue...
  • Dominic BrennanDominic Brennan Member, Administrator
    Hi Alan,

I saw that you have previously been touch with support about this. I recommend that you continue the conversation with them and try to get this resolved.

Dom
  • How was this issue fixed? Im having the same exact issue, my F1 2019 rim comes off almost all the way then hits a hard stop and refuses to full come off the DD2 wheel base. I have tried using all the force i can to get it off.

• Having the same issue, but now stuck halfway. Will not go all the way in and not come out either. Any response from support?

• I have exactly the same issue. I has to be something to do with the DD2 shaft since the exact same wheel never gave me an ounce of trouble when I had it on my Clubsport v2.5. Just a word of warning....if you are trying to update your firmware, make sure you can remove the wheel first since removing the wheel is part of your calibration steps after you install the firmware. I also find it interesting that someone from Fanatec has not commented on this yet. Makes you wonder if this is a known issue to them with no idea how to fix. I had this issue6 months ago....after 3 hours, i was able to get it off...no idea how. Fast forward to today and here I am again with the same problem......Isn't a quick release supposed to be quick? Come on Fanatec......HELP US!!!!!! I spent 1500 on this thing and now I am limited to the firmware I am on since I cannot remove the wheel. Good thing I do not own another wheel I would like to use.

• my rim got stuck as well, the so called quick release is rubbish of a DD wheel

• Me to, same issue. DD1 with McLaren GT3 wheel

• Anybody found a solution to this yet?

I recently purchased a second-hand universal hub and can't get it on a CSL Elite 1.1

It appears that the QR sleeve can't retract back far enough to allow the bearings to clear the lip of the wheelbase shaft. I may have to remove a bearing or 2 just to get the thing on. I've put all my strength into it and I'm more likely to break the wheelbase mount on the rig before the QR moves.

• Mark PetronisMark Petronis Member
    edited December 2020

Bump. Same thing with my DD1. Just got Clubsport V2.5 when today, went do remove the old wheel, and wham - hard stop. Pulled hard enough to feel the wheel flexing and gave up. I bought this DD1 and Podium wheel setup in February 2020 fwiw.

• Mark PetronisMark Petronis Member
    edited December 2020

Got it folks. Once I got pulled the wheel back to the "hard stop" I then just shimmied the wheel back and forth by pulling on the left and right sides of the wheel. Quick fast little movements. You can see aluminum is peened over on the detents. I'm sure this is what was causing it to hang up. Will file it down, add some grease to the balls, and should be good to go.