DD2 review of Barry from SRG

Comments

• will the fanalab software only be relevant for PC games or for console games?
    Its a Windows Software. You generally cant use any software on consoles, so PC only.
    so fanalab will not be of any use to gran turismo?
    Its a Windows Software. You generally cant use any software on consoles, so PC only.

If you´re playing Gran Turismo on a PC it would work... ;)

• Lars JoschkoLars Joschko Member
    edited September 2019
    Pretty gutted that those that have spent a lot of hard earned money have not been able / trusted to test fanalab software even though we are trusted to be Guinea pigs for the hardware / all the beta firmwares. Would have been nice for a public beta of the software for all us early adopters that took the gamble jumping straight in on an unknown / unproven product.

I think you have to look what all the competitors had to offer as they brought up their first DD bases, this was far away from plug and play and the Eco-system experience the Podium gives. Even when the software was out in time (If Thomas did not state that in the Blog nobody would know that it´s coming and the wheel works fine without the software too), people would still find things to complain about.

Yes I have flex too, but until the video shows up I never tried to move my steering wheel in this direction so I think I can live with that. If they bring a more sturdy Quick release I would probably upgrade, but I don´t want to need tools for swapping wheels, so the bolt is no real option.

I´m owing Fanatec products for a long time, so I´m pretty sure if they had released a new quick release, people would have been upset that they have to invest again a lot of money to make their existing steering wheels (I´m owning 5 at the moment) compatible with the new system. 

No.
    No.
    really a pity that it is not synonymous for it

Gt Sport is not there for pc
    No.
    really a pity that it is not synonymous for it
    As said, you can not use ANY software on console, that's impossible. Therefore of course FanaLab is pc exclusive of course but that really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. You also can't use any other software like CrewChief etc on consoles, that's the limitation of the consoles.
  • Great review! (but did we expect anything else ;)

With the 'older' QR's attached to my McLaren and XBox hub I also have flex with the DD1 and it is noticable while racing (especially high paced Dirt Rally 2)--> tbh I never tried it with the bolt. I'll try that later.

With the new F1 2019 wheel it is rock solid. 

Looking forward to the Fanalabs software
    I can confirm that with the bolt mounted the flex is gone. This goes for both the universal hub and the McLaren* wheel. 
    For the newer F1 2019 wheel it was not necessary. Maybe that's because it's a brand new QR?

* With the McLaren wheel which is not a podium series one you can feel and hear a little bit of plastic "tjirp" when using brute forces. Obviously you will never do that when playing a racegame but I did it just for this testing purpose. 

• I do think it´s all about the tolerances, I have flex on my PS4 Podium rim, as my BMW rim is not flexing. Every series production has a tolerance specification, so somtimes if bad tolerances from shaft meet bad tolerances on the wheel you have more flex and vice versa 
    edited September 2019
    And with the McLaren wheel I have the same plastic sound, even when I drive. I think that is the difference between a plastic CSL wheel and a more sturdy Clubsport wheel. Looking forward to a proper Clubsport or Podium GT3 wheel in the future :)
    edited September 2019
    will the fanalab software only be relevant for PC games or for console games?

Gt Sport is not there for pc
    It was sarcasm from my side (sorry I couldn´t resist) , I know that GT S only runs on PS4 as I´m running the console beside the PC ;)
  • I do have some flex on my CSL elite ps4 wheel, but it comes from the shaft itself not from the QR.. I assume this is due to the fact that it's belt driven and some play is expected.. the QR on my F1 2018 wheel  is rock solid for me.. 
  • Aaron ScottAaron Scott Member
    edited September 2019
    Im glad everyone has their favorite Youtube pacifiers now. I'll leave the rest to your imagination. Now that SRG has it i can say everything i have is mediocre equipment reviewed by a slow talker.
  • Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    this dude is paid advertising, im glad everyone has their favorite YouTube pacifier to tell them everything is ok now. This base is ok for pc, but has been a nightmare for me on console. i keep getting told it will get better ,but it gets worse. i have had it for the summer and i have been back and forth with inadequate support since week 3 of ownership. I'll leave the rest to your imagination. Now that SRG has it i can say everything i have is mediocre equipment reviewed by a slow talker.

What issues are you having on console? I go back and forth from PC to X1X and while for obvious reasons, the consoles can not in this generation give you the fidelity and features PC can, it still performs very well.
  • Aaron ScottAaron Scott Member
    edited September 2019
    my issues are ongoing and unresolved, so im obviously tryin to be nice, watch my video in the gtsport thread on getting full functionality on ps4, this is only part of the functionality issue and theres even more than that.
  • I have slack on all my wheels, much more than Barry has!
    I contacted Fanatec and was told that there was something wrong with the quick release on my steering wheel, but right after that the tightening nut stuck completely so I had to send my DD2 to Fanatec to replace it, when they had it they wanted me too send my steering wheels so they could check that everything was 100% ok
    I sent my steering wheels and got everything back with more slack than I had initially
    I contacted support but was told that this is perfectly normal, but I could send base and steering wheels again for an extra check, but if they don't find anything wrong I have to pay for it ..
    I don't think this is acceptable, especially when the product page says:
     "Automotive grade Quick Release system with rubber dampener for zero flex and movement between the steering wheel and wheel base"

With my 2 year old CSW2.5 I have no slack ..

Watch my video and see if you think this is acceptable ??
  • Man the new Fanalabs software is something I have wanted for a long time!!!!

You give us beta drivers and beta everything else....let us have the beta of that software please!!!!  Really wanting to check that out ASAP.
  • The model of waiting until the entire product is ready, or even in beta, and then putting out for feedback is outdated.  The current model is to develop a small piece, the "minimum viable product", get just that small piece to release quality, and put it out.  Then, continue to merge new features, keeping the number of simultaneously-worked-on items small, and releasing frequently with whatever is release-quality at that time. 

Using automated testing, you can keep track of whether your main branch stays release-ready.  Bugs still happen, of course, but when they do, you add another test to ensure that a particular bug doesn't happen again.  Going further, test-driven development lets you get ahead of the code with your tests, so that you can verify that a change is working before ever committing to source control.

Ideally, you should be pushing out a new production release (not a beta, a vertical slice of fully-complete-and-tested functionality) every 2-4 weeks.

I know all this stuff sounds a little new-agey, but it really does work.  And the best time to apply it is when you're working on new code, instead of having to go back and make old code unit-testable.
  • edited September 2019
    Under Normal Use What Flex??? ... I can Bend the Steering wheel in my Real Life Car if I Pull on it in Un-Natural ways also On average I drive with between 10 to 12Nm Max so I don't worry about flex at all... Thomas reply to the Flex Video was "Because the Flex is Non Rotational that there is No loss of FFB Fidelity" I agree with this as I feel No Flex in the QR. IMO seems the Flex that Barry pointed out was the Space between the QR Slider and Spring that makes it push out to lock in place... but the ball bearings Lock the wheel in place against in a Rotational slippage.

Hmmm...I wonder if Maybe Barry wants to switch over to using a DD2 but don't want to Dump his custom Rim Collection because his current QR system is Not compatible :-/   food for thought... :-\"   IJS

• Lino CarreiraLino Carreira Member
    edited September 2019
    Under Normal Use What Flex??? ... I can Bend the Steering wheel in my Real Life Car if I Pull on it in Un-Natural ways also On average I drive with between 10 to 12Nm Max so I don't worry about flex at all... Thomas reply to the Flex Video was "Because the Flex is Non Rotational that there is No loss of FFB Fidelity" I agree with this as I feel No Flex in the QR. IMO seems the Flex that Barry pointed out was the Space between the QR Slider and Spring that makes it push out to lock in place... but the ball bearings Lock the wheel in place against in a Rotational slippage.

Hmmm...I wonder if Maybe Barry wants to switch over to using a DD2 but don't want to Dump his custom Rim Collection because his current QR system is Not compatible :-/   food for thought... :-\"   IJS

That kind of assumptions is for kids, dont think SRG ever thought about those conspiracy theories... 
  • edited September 2019
    That kind of assumptions is for kids, dont think SRG ever thought about those conspiracy theories... 
    Hey You Never know but Lighten up and Have a Chuckle... A Good Laugh Never Hurt any 1... Its Not that serous just like the Flex shown in the SRG Video Waaay over exaggerated... I could bend My Real Life Car Steering Wheel to Flex when I pull on it as shown in both Videos... But its Not Rotational Flex at all as shown in the 2Old4forza Video... Not even at 20Nm did it move or flex so No Loss Of Fidelity.

Now if people are more partial to 1 QR system over the other 1 just state that as your Opinion but don't thumbs down and say that Fanatec QR don't work Good enough just because you prefer or use the other type. JMO

This is going to be a Hot topic because like Me people who own Current Fanatec Rim's are Not going to want to discard their Old Rim's just to have a New QR -vs- People who have invested $$$ in Custom Rim's with a Different QR system that will Not want to Discard their Rim's even if they really want a Fanatec DD because the Fanatec QR Systems will Not work with them.

Fanatec said a while ago that they will be making a New QR and also that people with Custom Rims can use them with the Fanatec DD bases once the Fana Lab software comes out...The soft ware will override the Chip in the Rim that enables the wheel FFB But they will still have to plug the Rim into a USB port to get the buttons to work.

Nothing to Fuss about lets all Joke,Laugh and Hurry up and wait :D
  • Well I dont have any flex in mt DD2  ..it may be there but when I test it the Obutto Rev plate moves very slightly. But unless I go looking for it I dont notice a thing.
  • Noel GrunderNoel Grunder Member
    edited September 2019
  • I wonder why they don't have something slightly conical and metal to snug up.

The rubber seems to be an odd choice.
  • I can't replicate the flex at all with my DD1 PS4 version. 
  • edited September 2019
    The Rubber is Not the problem... that's Not where the Flex is... IMO seems the Flex that Barry pointed out was the Space between the QR Slider and Spring that makes it push out to lock in place... but the ball bearings Lock the wheel in place against any Rotational slippage. Edit: Watch what Happens.... Fanatec will release a Rock solid QR system that will Not work with Current QR systems that are Not Fanatec and watch People are Going to Lose their Minds!!! I bet they say that Fanatecs New QR system is borked too.... Its Business bottom line is they gonna have to spend $$$ to make their custom wheels work.
  • The Rubber is Not the problem... that's Not where the Flex is... IMO seems the Flex that Barry pointed out was the Space between the QR Slider and Spring that makes it push out to lock in place... but the ball bearings Lock the wheel in place against any Rotational slippage.

That is not what I am seeing here. The flex that i get is 100% because the output shaft of the wheel is either too small or the rubber is too soft, so the QR can rock in a lateral way. The spring and the locking mechanism are entirely on the outside of the rigid female side. The issue is solely that the tolerances between the two are too great. You are right that there is no axial slip.

My suggestion is for a conical cinch that could be tightened into the existing QR that would take the slack out. You are also right that if they released a new QR system, people would go ape **** and lose their minds. I think this could be remedied with replacement part for the podium DD, but it would likely be very expensive for fanatec to provide such a part.
  • He did it.. :D