Podium DD1 power supply fan always on

Is it normal for the power supply fan on the podium wheels to always be on?  I have noticed that the power supply fan is always on , even when the power supply is cool and the wheel is turned off.  Just wanted to make sure that this is normal...seems like the lifetime of the fan within the PSU will be severely reduced running 24/7 like that.

Anyone know what the inevitable replacement PSU will cost?

Comments

• edited September 2019
    IMO its Not Normal the Fan will eventually Burn out and you will Need a New Power Supply.

I am Currently testing the same thing with My Replacement power supply... Can you test this as well.

Test is as Follows (Note PSU -->Power Supply Unit ;) )

1) Use your wheel as Normal...

2) When you shut down for the Night Note the Motor and Driver Temps.

3) Let wheel sit for a few hour or even over Night to Give the PSU Fan time enough to Run so the PSU is Cold and Fan should be Off.

4) If PSU Fan is still on... Power the DD wheel Back on and Note the Motor and Driver Temps... Do Not Use the Wheel... Turn wheel back Off and Let it sit and check back to see if PSU Fan is Still Running....It should Be Off.

I tested Exactly this last Night... I shut the Wheel Down at 9:30pm, Motor Temp was 41c, Driver Temp was 49c... 3 hours Later PSU fan was still running....I powered the DD2 base back up Motor temp was 25c, Driver Temp was 30c... After Noting the Temps powered the wheel back Off and checked it a Few Minutes later and the PSU fan was Now Off.

My Original PSU the Fan Never shut off Either so I contacted Fanatec Support and Boom they had a New PSU to My Door within 3 business day from My Email =D>  Kudos to Fanatec for Top Notch Speedy Service...

After I received the replacement PSU last week and Noticed that this PSU Fan Runs Constantly Also I became curious to Find out Why??? So I started Noting Motor and Driver Temps when I shut wheel Off for the Night.

Could it be that the PSU Fan is Tied to the wheel or Driver Temp??? If So then this would explain why the PSU Fans Run Constantly if you shut the wheel down before it Cools Off because the last reported Motor/ Driver Temps says the PSU Fan should be On.. Now If My theory is correct when you Power the wheel Back on once its cool the New Motor and Driver Reported temp tells the fan it can Be Off...and the PSU Fan should shut Off.

This is Only My theory and Requires Further testing so if a Few people can follow and test this we can solve the why is the PSU Fan always on mystery ;)

Note it's only My theory so it could be just a waste of time also :)

but If this is the case it can easily be fixed with a FW update that will allow the DD wheel Base Fan and PSU Fan to Run until the Cool down shut off temp is reached and Auto Shut Off.

Edit: I have a Infrared Digital Thermometer with laser aiming light.
    4 Room walls Average Temp is 26.5c

Wheel Base is Off and has Not Been used Today...Only powered on for 5min to see Motor and Driver Temps...Temps were again 25c and 30c and the PSU unit Fan Has Been on ever since even though wheel has been shut Off off for 30min and was Not used... it was only powered on to check Motor and Driver temps.

PSU Temp
    Fan Outlet Temp is 27.0
    Top of PSU Temp 28.4
    Side PSU Temp 28.0
  • I will test it out. What is interesting though is that I always leave my PC and the wheel powered on for a good hour or more after I am done racing for the night. I always have the idea that I should give everything time to cool off properly, similar to a real car. Yet the fan continues to run. I will follow your steps.
  • And Again just testing to see why PSU Fan is always on... Its My Own thoughts So No Need for Harsh Feed Back. Ok Wheel has been Off all day other than to Check the Motor and Driver temps and they are the same as in My first post... I just checked again PSU Fan outlet is 25.5c, Top is 26.3c and Fan has turned Off.
  • I tested and my fan never turns off.
  • edited September 2019
    Yes...Very weird it goes off some time only... its starting to seem very random...The wheel has been off for 8hrs...Room temp is 24.7c, PSU Fan Outlet is 25c and PSU Fan is Still on.... this Is My Replacent PSU so it makes Me wonder why the fan stays on even more....I don't think its supposed to be on all the time.
  • Here are my readings for temps

From the Wheel menu

Mot: 23
    Drv:29
    Bas:29
    WQR:33

Temps with a temp gun:

Rear fan area : 24
    PSU Fan : 24
    Center top of PSU: 27

• Also, my fan did just randomly top now, I noticed it when I was taking temp readings with my temp gun...very odd.  I think you are right, something is messed up in the firmware.
  • I'm wondering if the PSU Fan turn On and Off has anything to do with wheel base temps... Seems if wheel is powered on and Off after Wheel base is Cold PSU Fan will turn Off but its still Random because it won't do it all the time.
  • edited September 2019
    I also don't know exactly know why it happens and it annoys me as well on my PSU but I think this could have something to do with the room temperature as it stays on when the room temp is 26°C or higher and goes off when room temp is again under 25°C. Happened to me in very hot summer days that it stayed on for a whole week, but actually room temp never goes above 24°C here as it's quite cold here (unfortunately summer is over :() and for now I don't hear the fan since weeks now, even after using the DD for several hours with quite high FFB and Motor Temps above 50°C..
  • edited September 2019
    I also don't know exactly know why it happens and it annoys me as well on my PSU but I think this could have something to do with the room temperature as it stays on when the room temp is 26°C or higher and goes off when room temp is again under 25°C. Happened to me in very hot summer days that it stayed on for a whole week, but actually room temp never goes above 24°C here as it's quite cold here (unfortunately summer is over :() and for now I don't hear the fan since weeks now, even after using the DD for several hours with quite high FFB and Motor Temps above 50°C..
    Thanks for your input Maurice... I know you work with Fanatec Can you dig a bit deeper and ask How is it supposed to work...Your Answers/Report will set Many peoples concerns to rest....Its really weird because I have AC in My room all Summer and keep it really Cool but the PSU Fan Stays On 95+% of the time.... The DD2 Base its self works perfectly I am very happy with it and I wish for it to have the longest life span possible.
  • I agree. My DD1 is working great. I’m just concerned with the longevity of the PSU if the fan is going to run all the time.
  • Take Note that since last week when I received My replacement PSU I even made a special shelf so it is isolated by its self away from other potential sources of Heat... Also Note the PSU does Not get excessively Hot... this is another reason why I Question why the PSU fan is on 95+% of the time... Really weird.
  • I have my power supply zip tied onto my aluminum extrusion rig, so that essentially the aluminum acts like a gigantic heat sink for the power supply. The power supply stays fairy cool.
  • Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    I have mine under my RSeat rig and as Douglas mentioned the metal frame keeps it quite cool. I also have no power running to the base when not in use.
  • I have mine under my RSeat rig and as Douglas mentioned the metal frame keeps it quite cool. I also have no power running to the base when not in use.
    so does this mean your PSU unit Fan Shuts Off or Does it Rum most of the time???
  • Over the last Few Days watching the Idle PSU temps  I'm seeing a pattern develop...seems that when the wheel is Off and My PSU unit temp is below 27c the fan is Off ... Temp at Fan outlet 26.6c , top of PSU Temp 27.5c and Fan is Off Room Temp 27.6C ...  

Monday & Tuesday that's 2 days in a row its like this... I will monitor Idle PSU and Room temps until Friday week to see if there is a clear pattern or its just random.
  • I just took readings from all sides of my PSU, and it is 26.5c, with the fan outlet 25.5c, and the fan just continues running.
  • edited September 2019
    Ok... Just finished playing 30min ago...when i shut down PSU Fan outlet temp was 27.5c and Fan was On... just checked before I go to bed and Fan outlet temp is 26.4 and Fan is Off!!! Room Temp is 27.5c ... I can't say its a pattern yet...But its 26.5 seems to be a sweet spot... I'm still taking Notes for the rest of the week.... If you take Notes also Remember to Note your Room Temp as well.... Also Note this is the replacement PSU i received last week My original PSU the Fan Never or very Rarely shut off and I've had My DD2 since the first batch were shipped... So there were more than likely changes Made to the New/ Current batch of PSU units.
  • Joseph GossenJoseph Gossen Member, Moderator
    I have mine under my RSeat rig and as Douglas mentioned the metal frame keeps it quite cool. I also have no power running to the base when not in use.
    so does this mean your PSU unit Fan Shuts Off or Does it Rum most of the time???

It shuts off since it is not connected to a power source.
  • Day 3 I didn't use the wheel much and PSU Fan was Off....Temps were pretty much the same as today.

Day 4 Room temp is 26.2
    PSU Unit Fan Port Temp is 24.4, Top of PSU is 24.6 and its Off :D
    Seems to be a Pattern that when PSU is below 26.5 that PSU fan goes Off.

I plan to use the wheel 4+ hrs today and will report back tomorrow if PSU Fan is off and what the Temps are to see i I can pin point the PSU Fan cut off temp.

• I spoke with Fanatec support and I will have a new PSU on Monday. I will do more testing once I have it. My room is rarely above 24c, so it is surprising that the fan is always running even when powered off for an extended period of time.
  • Day #5 PSU Room Temp 25.5c,  Fan port temp is 24.8c, PSU Top Temp 25.0c and fan is Off =D>

Wheel was used from 4pm to 9:30pm and PSU Fan was Running at time of wheel shut down... i woke up to go to the bathroom ~12:30am and the PSU fan was off...

Conclusion: the Replacement PSU seems to be working as intended...Once it reaches its set cool down temp the fan shuts off :D
  • Day 6 and Fans are Off again after last Nights Long Play Session....The Replacement PSU is indeed working as intended...Good Work Fanatec for fixing this issue... and Also that from My initial contact with Fanatec on a Wednesday I got a Response from them on Friday and the New PSU was at My door on Monday!!! Now that's Great Service!!
  • Lorrell, I agree on the response. a new PSU was sent out to me with simply a couple back and forth emails.
  • I got the new power supply, and while it seems that the fan issue is resolved, is it normal for them to make a buzzing sound? My other one doesn’t seem to do that, but I don’t know if the fan is just masking the sound.
  • Its Probably the Fan.... I don't have a Buzzing sound... Check when Fan Goes Off if sound is still present.
  • The fan is not on and there is still a buzzing sound. It’s an electrical buzz.
  • edited September 2019
    Check to make sure you House Electrical socket to make sure Plug is Firmly in place and Not lose... Electric sockets insides wear out and cause Grounding issues....does it do it in a Different electric Socket??? And If your using a Power Strip make sure its a Good Quality 1. Can you record and post it here???
  • You will not believe this...the fan seems to never come on with the new one...just the buzzing noise!  I just ran for an hour in iracing LMS race, and the fan isn't on with the PSU...I even left it intentionally warm in this room...around 80f...no fan is on..not sure what to think.
  • Now that winter is here and room temperature is 21-22 C fan goes off pretty quickly, earlier in the late summer when room temp was 24-25+ it would take forever or never unless disconnected (I installed a remote controlled power switch for this). Think the internal thermal sensor maybe set a little or tolerance is too large on the plus side