Price increase in Europe UPDATE

Comments

• Whilst I too am disappointed by this huge price hike, I am sure Thomas/Fanatec had to do this because of the disaster that is the Euro. Thank god we in the UK kept the Pound Sterling which has fallen too just much less than the Euro.
    Instead of criticising Fanatec maybe you in the Euro zone should tell your elected representatives that the Euro is a dumb idea and should be abandoned. Just my opinion :)
  • One thing I dont get (I could prob guess) is why have all the products you only announced a few days ago will be ps4/xbox compatible gone up so much yet other not very popular products have seen a little increase. 40% is double what you said thomas! Do you think we cant figure out for ourself how much the prices have changed. I was going to order 2 rims for my v2 this morning and forget xbox but decided to wait and see if the xbox rim will be ps4 compatible :( Now the xbox rim will cost the same if not more than the formula black and bmw rim I was looking at earlier ffs. Just cant tell myself fanatec is a good investment at those absurd prices. Thomas fanatec make amazing products but they are not worth the money you are asking for now!!
  • Whilst I too am disappointed by this huge price hike, I am sure Thomas/Fanatec had to do this because of the disaster that is the Euro. Thank god we in the UK kept the Pound Sterling which has fallen too just much less than the Euro.
    Instead of criticising Fanatec maybe you in the Euro zone should tell your elected representatives that the Euro is a dumb idea and should be abandoned. Just my opinion :)
    All of us in the Netherlands knew the € would bring nothing but bad things...but the gouvernement still does what it wants...we're like puppets to them. The play with us in every which way they like...
  • I do not understand this choice of Fanatec !!!! 799.00 for the base !!! with € 1,000 buy a Frex, a steering wheel professional ...
  • I totally understand Thomas' situation and I totally support him, it is the same for a lot of goods, I actually think he is quite late in raising his prices. Apple did it here in Norway in early January and I just had to pay about 50% more for a Dell screen I just bought I could start screaming to Apple or Dell, but if anything I should really start screaming at myself for not buying it two months ago when it was cheaper.

What would your reactions be if you got your fanatec gear and the price suddenly dropped 30% because of the change in currency values, would you demand Thomas to transfer the difference to your account?

Bottom line, you can't predict the future/politics.

What you can do is wait and hope the euro goes up or dollar goes down.
  • Yes for the money Thomas is now asking, there are some serious other alternatives that IMO, offer more for your money. I.E, direct drive wheels etc. Proper sim equipment. €1000 +? Fanatec gear €1000 + Fanatec may have priced themselves out of the market.
  • Simply a joke.
    Just open an account in USD and we will  pay your products in USD, therefore the price difference with USD should be only 20% (taxes).
    I'm sorry, I appreciate your job, but you're asking prices like professional products, without giving the same quality (quick release, load cells....). 2 months ago, I've tried to buy a CSPW V2 : it's totally impossible to obtain a code.
    Definitely not for me.

• Guys I did recieve a code for the V2 base in February 2015 but did not want to purchase it then as i was still waiting for xbox one compatibility. So on monday the news broke that it would be fully supported so I emailed Fanatec telling then my short story & asked very pilotely if they could send me another invite code. Less then 1 hour later i had purchasd a V2 base and it will be shipped by 17th June 2015. Now not sure they would be so nice if everyone asked but if you really are comitted to purchasing a V2 base then just email Fanatec!
  • I would like to order, too...but i`m not sure, what the xbox one wheel looks like and how much it will cost.........and my invite-code is not valid anymore, too
    :((
  • ...but regardless the fact, that i´m not happy with the new prices, too..........i still want the products.....and i´m going to pay the price, even its not so easy than it was before.......but the products are worth the money in my opinion.
    I think fanatec wouldn`t have increased prices, if there had been another choice.

• Thomas,

Thank you for being upfront with this unfortunate news. I understand the reality of it, and it sucks for everyone.

I wish you and Fanatec the best of luck. It would cost me much more money to get products of similar quality from another company. 

• Maybe moving to Poland is the better idea now to make profit ? Also a lot closer to Europe in stead of China....O uhhhh wait it IS in Europe...

We are actually looking into the option to move production to Europe. It is much more attractive now and perhaps a good Option for our high-end models.

Thomas, I'm glad that you are sticking up for your decision. 

Don't let these little apostrophe mongers get to you, there are plenty of us that still know you are trying to do right, for all of us.
  • Hi,

As you are being so "open" with this statement you should also read that the price increases have come about because of a huge spike in demand in products from the support of Fanatec on next gen consoles.

Fanatec obviously have a limited supply of the V2 servo, so why not make all the money you can out of it? 

Supply and demand, basic economic principles. 

Obviously the exchange rates have impacted profits, but it would be fair to say that if the PS4 and Xbox one were not now supported Fanatec would not have put the prices up. You could bet your last dollar on this. Or Euro

• Hi,

As you are being so "open" with this statement you should also read that the price increases have come about because of a huge spike in demand in products from the support of Fanatec on next gen consoles.

Fanatec obviously have a limited supply of the V2 servo, so why not make all the money you can out of it? 

Obviously the exchange rates have impacted profits, but it would be fair to say that if the PS4 and Xbox one were not now supported Fanatec would not have put the prices up. You could bet your last dollar on this. Or Euro

This makes no sense. If they were solely about profit they would never have offered the CSWv2 at a discount at launch. And only slowly increased it. Has any other sim racing company done that for you? No! Didn't think so.

• Hi,

This makes no sense. If they were solely about profit they would never have offered the CSWv2 at a discount at launch. And only slowly increased it. Has any other sim racing company done that for you? No! Didn't think so.
    It makes perfect sense. It is basic economics. I never said Fanatec were solely about profit, you just mentioned it. Not me. But people do like to make money, maybe the profits will be invested in R&D of future products.

As for selling at a discount at launch it is a normal thing for a company to do to get business,  possibly at a loss, but people thinking it is a good offer buy straight away. Fanatec would also then make profit on the accessories that would cover any lose from the base sale and potential customers would be able to see the product round a friends etc.

I am not saying anything is wrong with the price increases, it is supply and demand. I am just saying the reason given by Fanatec is 50% of the truth leaving out some inconvenient truth.

Obviously many people are hugely loyal to Fanatec. Like yourself. Just don't be blind to the reality of the situation.

I would bet my last dollar, or Euro. Prices will be reduced in 6 months to a year once the spike in demand slows. Regardless of the Euro/dollar/Yuan exchange rate.

I am stunned you think that a huge price increase "makes no sense" just a few weeks after console support was announced.

• Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    edited March 2015

If your theory would be true, please explain why we did not touch the prices in the US Webshop where the CSW B V2 is also sold out.

You are right that we could have made higher prices for the first customers and they would have paid it. But we considered it to be fair to give our existing customers the priority with the invite code and also a financial advantage to say "thank you" instead of ripping them off. Especially the Xbox Gamers.

• Fanatec obviously have a limited supply of the V2 servo, so why not make all the money you can out of it? 

If your theory would be true, please explain why did not touch the prices in the US Webshop where the CSW B V2 is also sold out.

You are right that we could have made higher prices for the first customers and they would have paid it. But we considered it to be fair to give our existing customers the priority with the invite code and also a financial advantage to say "thank you" instead of ripping them off. Especially the Xbox Gamers.

So, explain the 45% increase in the CSW B price? Yet other products are increasing by 20-30%. If it was just the exchange rate issue all prices would be increased by an identical % amount. Right?

The dollar to Euro  exchange rate since you announced the CSW B V2 has changed about 22%, not 40%+

This is an easier sell in Europe

I never said you are ripping anyone off, but you are increasing the prices for European market more than the exchange rate difference. Considerably so on one particular product.

Anyhow, where do you sell most of your products, Europe or the USA? What is the split, before I incorrectly speculate........

Again, nothing wrong with making an additional profit. 

• Hi,

It makes perfect sense. It is basic economics. I never said Fanatec were solely about profit, you just mentioned it. Not me. But people do like to make money, maybe the profits will be invested in R&D of future products.

As for selling at a discount at launch it is a normal thing for a company to do to get business,  possibly at a loss, but people thinking it is a good offer buy straight away. Fanatec would also then make profit on the accessories that would cover any lose from the base sale and potential customers would be able to see the product round a friends etc.

I am not saying anything is wrong with the price increases, it is supply and demand. I am just saying the reason given by Fanatec is 50% of the truth leaving out some inconvenient truth.

Obviously many people are hugely loyal to Fanatec. Like yourself. Just don't be blind to the reality of the situation.

I would bet my last dollar, or Euro. Prices will be reduced in 6 months to a year once the spike in demand slows. Regardless of the Euro/dollar/Yuan exchange rate.

I am stunned you think that a huge price increase "makes no sense" just a few weeks after console support was announced.

Selling at a discount at launch is normal? Are you kidding me! Let's just stick to sim racing related companies to keep it simple. Sony, MS, Thrustmaster, Madcatz, laptop and PC companies, computer hardware companies etc. and NONE have done this. It's not normal.

And technically console support for Xbox One was announced months ago. And we knew they were working on a PS4 solution so it's not like this all came out of no where. I'm a free market guy. A company can ask their prices and we decide if we are gonna pay them or not. My satellite tv price is too high IMO so I'm gonna switch. But I'm not complaining that they are falsely raising prices.

And if you followed the world economy you would know this is legit. And many more if not all EU companies will be raising prices very soon. My wife is going to France in 2 weeks. The prices of things have gone up dramatically since she planned this trip over 6 months ago. I'm talking just the prices of things in France. Not airfare etc.. This sucks for those affected. I do feel bad for them. But a company must make profit to survive and continue. That's just life. I'm sure Thomas thought about and implemented all other options before raising prices. And as for not giving a notice that prices are going up, what companies do that?

• Hi,

Selling at a discount at launch is normal? Are you kidding me! Let's just stick to sim racing related companies to keep it simple. Sony, MS, Thrustmaster, Madcatz, laptop and PC companies, computer hardware companies etc. and NONE have done this. It's not normal.

And technically console support for Xbox One was announced months ago. And we knew they were working on a PS4 solution so it's not like this all came out of no where. I'm a free market guy. A company can ask their prices and we decide if we are gonna pay them or not. My satellite tv price is too high IMO so I'm gonna switch. But I'm not complaining that they are falsely raising prices.

And if you followed the world economy you would know this is legit. And many more if not all EU companies will be raising prices very soon. My wife is going to France in 2 weeks. The prices of things have gone up dramatically since she planned this trip over 6 months ago. I'm talking just the prices of things in France. Not airfare etc.. This sucks for those affected. I do feel bad for them. But a company must make profit to survive and continue. That's just life. I'm sure Thomas thought about and implemented all other options before raising prices. And as for not giving a notice that prices are going up, what companies do that?
    Its quite normal to sell at a discount at launch....... especially if a company needs cash flow to build more product or finance debt, especially if it encourages payments for pre orders to fund the building of the product..........

Plenty of IT companies sell products at a loss at launch , low end laptops for example, to achieve volumes, market share, a variety of reasons. Sony sold the PS3 at a loss for years, you could call that a launch discount........

Anyhow, point being prices have raised 40%, exchange rate 20% change......... maybe some other taxes are in there, 

Assuming you are using the US dollar prices will have gone down not up from your wifes perspective when she travels to France ....... Not everything in Europe is imported anyhow.....

I agree the company needs to make a profit, my point being Fanatec are making a profit on the back of the increased demand.  I don't have an issue with it at all, I just think the explanation Thomas gave is not the full story.

I am not complaing about the price change, I just think the way it is "dressed up" is not the full truth.

I guess we will see what happens to the prices over the next 6 months once demand dies down.

Anyhow, I can't justify buying a wheel now so maybe I am not dealing with the disapointment well ;)

• My personal view - price hike understandable, but especially disappointing as I've been waiting months for solid detail on the xbone rim before making such an investment.

Xbone rim choice will have to be very special indeedfor me to justify the extra expense of full setup cost, otherwise I will look to a compromise cheaper option, or the other end of spectrum with direct drive where cost difference has now become that little bit smaller.
  • I think to ease the pain of many people, Thomas will have to 1, release news of the Xbox one rim pref with pics and 2, apply a launch discount :D like he did with The CSW B V2
  • Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
    So, explain the 45% increase in the CSW B price? Yet other products are increasing by 20-30%. If it was just the exchange rate issue all prices would be increased by an identical % amount. Right?
    Again, nothing wrong with making an additional profit. 

There is an error in your calculation of the CSW B V2 Price.

Old Price: 599,95
    New Price: 749,95
    -> 25% increase

And you still get your pre-order discount.

• Hi,

in my opinion, it's not the price increase for itself that is annoying, but the dimension. 45 % for the CSP from one day to another is not explanable, not with currency exchange ratios and not with RMA costs. The only item which is fragile at the CSP is the load cell, which is sold for 15 €.

Especially the price raise for the Porsche 918 RSW wheel is exaggerated. From 399 € to 499 €. Before price change the Porsche wheel cost 150 € more than the BMW wheel. Already this difference was much too high. The 2 wheels have the same diameter and setup/construction. The only (mentiable) difference is the lower weigth and the LED-lights in the steering wheel. Why should this be worth 150 € more? and now the difference between the wheels is 200 € !!! ...
  • Natalie BNatalie B Member, Moderator, Betatester
    edited March 2015
    Hi everyone,
    I think we need to look at this realistically. Yes the price has increased, however if you look at the state of the euro it's hardly surprising. This is normal and expected behaviour.

We have seen this happen time and time again, it happened recently with steam and iOS stores!

While the prices have increased in value, I estimate my bundle would have cost me about 45% more in euro, But in pounds (£) the difference was not 45% (it was less) due to the currency differences.

Therefore, while I think the price hike is very high, I also feel very sorry for Thomas! Here he is, creating these wonderful products, great drivers, great compatibility and offering discount... And here you are lambasting him for an issue completely out with his control.

The 1 currency society was and still is a very bad move, bht thats an entirely different discussion.

I was unfortunate enough to receive a defective product from fanatec and it's been a bit of a pain for me, but can everyone please just take a moment and think... "Would I say this to Thomas face" and I don't mean "are you tough enough" I mean... Are you that mean or nasty? I don't think many of you are.

This thread is quite pollutant, and while I actually agree, empithise and completely understand everyone's view point, I really hope we can express ourselves differently from a random 4chan mob!

When the euro stabilises the prices WILL come back down, Thomas STATED this in his posts!
    We should aim anger at the governments and bankers for forcing the 1 currency society!
    We should work out the difference in price based on our own currency (for UK it's not as bad as 45% as the price I paid, vs the new price does not = 45% increase)
    We should put ourselves in Thomas position for just a moment and think how this must be for him. Yes there is a possibility that this could ruin his business... It's possible, it's at least a possibility that could occur (but unlikely). It could damage his reputation as the best quality/value product on the market... It could hurt him.

So think, does he want that... NO!
    He's not doing this for fun or to rip anyone off... This is a prime example why you should NOT have voted to adopt the euro (for anyone who did).

My views are no more valid than any one else, and I expect many to hate on me and disagree. But please take a moment and think how lucky we are that while Thomas still never sent me a TShirt ;) or sorted my wheel issues out!... He and his company are still here, serving us with great products... and they are THE ONLY ONES FIGHTING WITH US NOT AGAINST US! Think how this would be if we only had Thrustmaster to turn to!

Don't forget that!
    @Thomas please open preorders for the XBO rim ASAP and I'll buy one today and support you and Fanatec through these tough economical times!

@those who spoke to Thomas like ****! Take 5 minutes and think "would I say those things to my mum/wife or my child's teacher or carer etc if they raise the prices during touch economical times" and if not.. Let's not kick Thomas while he is down!

And if you look at my last few posts you will see I am a little unhappy with Thomas At the moment because he/fanatec have let me down a little (due to my wheel issues) but my gosh... That's insignificant in comparison to these announcements. I still will continue to support and buy fanatec products even if I have a small grievance with one of them.

Yes it's bad news, yes it's disappointing but we are a family here, who all love sim racing! and many of us have become friends on the track. I hate to see people speak so aggressively and negatively toward a guy who's company needs to up prices for a short period of time to cover issues with the euro.
  • Muuhahahaha, da hab' ich ja richtig Schwein gehabt, dass ich das RSR Wheel noch am Mittwoch bestellt habe!!! :-*
  • First world problems.  People are complaining because video game peripherals now cost more than they used to because the maker has to be able to turn a profit or no longer be able to feed his family.
  • I think it is only the market ... more demand = higher price and less demand = lower price! I wanted to replace my csw v1 with v2, but with the revision of the price will invest on a professional base and crown (€ 1,500.00).
  • Come on this is just bullshit. I had the money ready just waiting on the XBO rim. Now I am forced to spend it on Thrustmaster gear and throwing out my GT2 as it will never be compatible it seems.

Also great quality is exaggerated ad my GT2 suffered some problems and is slowly dying even though it is used a max of 200 hrs. My CSP are already d ead and tried to get service a while ago but nobody ever replied.

Where were the price decreases when the dollar was at the all time cheapest point only about 20 months or so ago? The euro was always aimed at a 1:1 conversion.

Too bad, another customer gone.
  • Hi everyone,
    I think we need to look at this realistically. Yes the price has increased, however if you look at the state of the euro it's hardly surprising. This is normal and expected behaviour.

We have seen this happen time and time again, it happened recently with steam and iOS stores!

While the prices have increased in value, I estimate my bundle would have cost me about 45% more in euro, But in pounds (£) the difference was not 45% (it was less) due to the currency differences.

Therefore, while I think the price hike is very high, I also feel very sorry for Thomas! Here he is, creating these wonderful products, great drivers, great compatibility and offering discount... And here you are lambasting him for an issue completely out with his control.

The 1 currency society was and still is a very bad move, bht thats an entirely different discussion.

I was unfortunate enough to receive a defective product from fanatec and it's been a bit of a pain for me, but can everyone please just take a moment and think... "Would I say this to Thomas face" and I don't mean "are you tough enough" I mean... Are you that mean or nasty? I don't think many of you are.

This thread is quite pollutant, and while I actually agree, empithise and completely understand everyone's view point, I really hope we can express ourselves differently from a random 4chan mob!

When the euro stabilises the prices WILL come back down, Thomas STATED this in his posts!
    We should aim anger at the governments and bankers for forcing the 1 currency society!
    We should work out the difference in price based on our own currency (for UK it's not as bad as 45% as the price I paid, vs the new price does not = 45% increase)
    We should put ourselves in Thomas position for just a moment and think how this must be for him. Yes there is a possibility that this could ruin his business... It's possible, it's at least a possibility that could occur (but unlikely). It could damage his reputation as the best quality/value product on the market... It could hurt him.

He's not doing this for fun or to rip anyone off... This is a prime example why you should NOT have voted to adopt the euro (for anyone who did).

My views are no more valid than any one else, and I expect many to hate on me and disagree. But please take a moment and think how lucky we are that while Thomas still never sent me a TShirt ;) or sorted my wheel issues out!... He and his company are still here, serving us with great products... and they are THE ONLY ONES FIGHTING WITH US NOT AGAINST US! Think how this would be if we only had Thrustmaster to turn to!

Don't forget that!
    @Thomas please open preorders for the XBO rim ASAP and I'll buy one today and support you and Fanatec through these tough economical times!

@those who spoke to Thomas like ****! Take 5 minutes and think "would I say those things to my mum/wife or my child's teacher or carer etc if they raise the prices during touch economical times" and if not.. Let's not kick Thomas while he is down!

And if you look at my last few posts you will see I am a little unhappy with Thomas At the moment because he/fanatec have let me down a little (due to my wheel issues) but my gosh... That's insignificant in comparison to these announcements. I still will continue to support and buy fanatec products even if I have a small grievance with one of them.

Yes it's bad news, yes it's disappointing but we are a family here, who all love sim racing! and many of us have become friends on the track. I hate to see people speak so aggressively and negatively toward a guy who's company needs to up prices for a short period of time to cover issues with the euro.
    Amen...
  • Hi everyone,

Don't forget that!

Agreed, nothing wrong with making a profit.......

Didn't mean to be having a go at anyone or aggressive myself. Just voicing an opinion.

Just think it is more than a currency issue. Still do, no company boss is going to come out and say "Put the prices up so we could make more money in these times of high demand" . No offence intended.

Fanatec have a monopoly for wheels in this quality and price bracket, so they can do what they like. 

In my case they have lost a customer at this time as it is hard to justify the 30% extra spend to over £1000.00 when the Thrustmaster T300 has come down to £250.00 since last August a reduction in sterling of 25% from launch price.

I would prefer the Fanatec route, but I can't justify spending 4 times the money and when you are trying to hunt down a code to buy something, with the invitational code being the only delay in making the purchase and the price suddenly rockets 30% it's enough to put me off.