A Revolution in Simracing: Universal Hub for ClubSport Wheel

Comments

• It will be interesting how much weight the quick release unit will have.

I would love to get a full on custom LMP1 or F1 wheels with rotaries display the lot, but the original Formula is only 1,2 kg and I checked and some comparable Momo wheels (MOD.27c) weight around 0,65kg. If you than add a display, a lot of button switches and so on you could end up already at 1,2kg and then you have the quick release system.
    If it weights around 500g or less I will be 100% impressed. For the moment it's 95% ;)

• Hi Attila.

You can easily do what I have done and bolt a small wooden board to the flat wheel plate/deck and then bolt the CSW base to that. This will give you a bit more flexibility to position it too.

Hello Ian,

Actually I didn't refer to the CSW base (I have installed it on my Playseat evolution, without a problem), but rather to the Clubsport handbrake...Thanks for your tip anyway.
  • And there I am so happy that I waited so long!
    =D>

• Hi Attila.

You can easily do what I have done and bolt a small wooden board to the flat wheel plate/deck and then bolt the CSW base to that. This will give you a bit more flexibility to position it too.

Hello Ian,

Actually I didn't refer to the CSW base (I have installed it on my Playseat evolution, without a problem), but rather to the Clubsport handbrake...Thanks for your tip anyway.
    Ah, sorry about the misunderstanding.
  • If you want to mount the handbrake or anything else to your rig regardless of maker, try to find a metal fab shop. I have found that they charge little to nothing to weld a small plate or tube (whatever u need) to your rig.They find it interesting. Might turn a few of them into sim racers also. 
  • Hi Thomas! Awsome stuff u have announced! I will be purchasing as soon as there released. Will they be available in Australia at the same time as eu and us.
  • Hi Thomas. First of all congratulations for your products. I have the old CSW series products...excellent gear.
    Anyway I have 3 questions:

1. Why didn't you do an F1 rim for this hub?
    2. Is there a possibility to have 4 paddles: 2 for gearshift, 2 for the clutch?
    3. Is there a possibility to have a data display and to mount it on this hub or on a generic f1 rim?

thanks a lot....best wishes
  • Hello,

Will you be introducing a stronger motor package upgrade to handle the additional weight of aftermarket rims? The stock motors can barely handle the weight of the BMW rim now.

Thank you.
  • Hi Thomas,

It'd be good if there were different configuration options for this.

For example all I need is the adapter so I can just connect an aftermarket rim. I don't need paddles, buttons or anything extra. They could all be additional options?

Best,
    Matt
  • Man I so can't wait to find out the weight and release date, I've even already gone and brought a super light-weight omp wheel for it and will get the flat1 depending on weight.
  • Hi Thomas,

Congratulations on these great products. Very much looking forward to these. Shall be placing my order as soon as possible! The better half won't be happy when I fill the house with different rims!

• Hi Thomas,

Congratulations on these great products. Very much looking forward to these. Shall be placing my order as soon as possible! The better half won't be happy when I fill the house with different rims!

James there are far worse addictions. :-)
  • Klaus ThonKlaus Thon Member
    edited June 2014
    I just played around a little with the various possibilities of mounting the satellites to the USB-Hub fitting one of my custom-wheels.

For this reason I build some kind of a construction-kit at a Photoshop graphic - a PSD-file with various layers, which contains the plate of the hub on a background, where the custom-wheel will be fixed at - and each part that is necessary to mount a satellite to the hub - every part in a different layer. You can easily copy the parts from their templates, mirror and turn them if possible and put them at the position you want them to appear! If you have mounted one side, it could be helpful just to copy and simply mirror the whole side and put the copy to the other one.

You can put a graphic of your custom-wheel (make sure, that it is exempted from all surrounding stuff - even at the mounting-holes) at the top of the layers to control, how the satellites fit together with the wheel - you just have to size the wheel correctly (you can resize it with correct ratio in both spaces by selecting it overall, chose "transform>scaling" and hold the "STRG"-Key, while changing the size with dragging. It should be perfect, if the green (or blue) markers of the mounting-holes can be seen exactly center-positioned through the holes of the resized steering-wheel.

Now you can start to put the parts "behind" the wheel and position them once to fit one of the mounting-holes and not covering one of the mounting holes for the wheel.

If all parts are properly positioned, you can put copies of the knob with the correct lighting over each knob at the satellite-units. This is helpful for getting a credible view of the complete installation, as the lights at the knobs of the satellite-unit vary with their mounting-position and disturb the overall picture quite heavy then.

You can remark the holes to be used for mounting with copies of the red ring additionally, if you want. But you mustn´t! ;)

I have left some of the variations for my Moto-Lita at the folder "completely mounted sets" - to see a shade of this wheel in interaction to them, you can make the layer: "PERPETRATED BY CITYTEA - JUNE 2014" visible. Maybe somebody can already use one of these or they will fit with minor corrections. Or you get some new ideas of what is able...

Grab the PSD-File from my webspace:

http://www.citytea.de/Images/Satellite-Construction-Kit_for_Fanatec_CSW-USB-Hub.psd

And now happy constructing! I´m sure you can post your results here at the blog!
  • Ian KenchIan Kench Member
    edited June 2014
    Hi Klaus.

Thanks for your psd file, I shall have a play with it. Nice to see some more positivity! :)

• Now we just need a release date :)
    edited June 2014

Updated version of the construction-kit. Transformed to the correct sizes, so now you can at least print the center out on a DIN A4 sheet directly from Photoshop in real size, using non-scaled, centered and horizontal layout of the sheet (Landscape?) 

Added rulers and upped to 18 complete satellite-set-variations (but all of them mainly fitting the 9-screw connection-ring of Moto-Lita and with often just minor differences to some earlier ones). Feel free to delete all sets, you don´t like/need from the kit. 

Double the size around 80 mb now, cause resolution is higher to fit correct print-size. (The original, I´m using has a space of 180 mb, though)

Grab the new PSD-File from my webspace:

http://www.citytea.de/Images/Satellite-Construction-Kit_for_Fanatec_CSW-Universal-Hub_V21.psd

Some of the sets:

• You might have wondered why we are releasing so many new rims in such a short time but they have one component in common. And this component is available separatly as well.

The Universal Hub Rim for ClubSport Wheel

With the universal hub you can mount almost any wheel rim for real cars to your ClubSport wheel. Simply choose the buttons and functions you want and attach any rim to it.

We offer 6 different automotive grade wheel rims for the universal hub and each is selling for just 99,95.
    • Classic
    • Oval
    • Round1
    • Flat1
    • GT
    • Drift

If this does not meet your requirement you can select a rim of a 3rd party manufacturer like MOMO, SPARCO or OMP. The 6-hole-pattern is compatible to these brands and with adapters (from the rim makers) to many other rims. Therefore you can choose between hundreds of rims  and you still have the full functionality you need for simracing.

The following components are included in the Universal Hub:

• 4 x small button boxes with 3 buttons each
    • 2 x small levers and 2 x long levers
    • 1 x pair of small shifter paddles
    • 1 x pair of large and fully adjustable shifter paddles
    • 1 x Encoder with 7 functions: turn left, turn right, up, down, left, right, push
    • LED display to show Tuning and telemetry info. Can we used in two positions
    • USB charging port (no data)

There is also a 5th connector for another button box and the data port for further expansion of functionality. An analog joystick or vibration function is not supported at this point.

We placed 16 buttons on top of the hub so you always have the fully functionality even if you prefer a clean look without the button boxes. The button boxes are mapped with those 16 buttons so you are not loosing any functionality in case you cannot reach them. If the PlayStation buttons hurt your eyes or feelings, then you can simply take a black marker and paint them.

Available this summer for 249,95 Euro / USD (incl. tax / excl. tax)

The weight and exact deliery dates will be announced later.

Fanatec, I don't know who the visionary is in your organization maybe it's just your team. But your products and the quality of your products plus the innovation makes you the Apple of Internet racing hardware. This last product the “Universal Steering Hub” that goes on your Club Sport Steering is an absolute stroke of genius. The idea is so simple but so innovative. It is companies like yours and IRacing that has taken Internet racing to a much higher level. All I can say is make lots of money stay business healthy and keep those products coming.  “Customer” & “Fan” Note: I'm hoping to order some of these new products to take back with me to Mexico when we come back in October.So hopefully you'll start shipping before that.
  • hear hear!
  • When it will be available for pre-order in US store?
    When does it ship?
  • Third and final version of the Satellite-construction-kit. The PSD-File is packed as a RAR of ~ 80Gb now. Same as before it has the correct sizes, so you can print out at least the center at a DIN A 4-paper. Just the resolution of pixels is reduced down to 156ppi, which is still pretty higher than the usual 72ppi. But it is easier to place the parts exactly to their position in this larger size with 2070² pixel if you use just the visible sector of it in a 100 or even 200%-view... (I´m using it with a genuine size of 3370² pixel and 256ppi with a size of 430Gb - even lower as my working-sheets for car-painting, but I found, that those sizes can not be read in again at most of the other computers.

If you try to use this sheet with a different painting-program as Photoshop, it may be, that the layer-groups will be messed up and are gone after opening, so you may find an awful size of unsorted heavy-to-overview single layers - as well, I have no idea, what happens to the color-marks of the layers and groups, which usually help a lot to sort the whole mass of data... Anyway - try it and see, what happens.

http://www.citytea.de/Images/Satellite-Construction-Kit_for_Fanatec_CSW-Universal-Hub_V4.rar

I now have added a Morgan-Park Threewheeler steering-wheel with a diameter of 28/27cm in six different variations and 11 complete satellite-sets, where I used the new markers for mounting-points. (the old "rings" got to mark the mounting-points of the actual steeringwheel overall at the group now) This wheel as well was constructed completely in Photoshop after the specs of their website. I think about to built the whole thing at all by myself, maybe...

The Moto-Lita-wheel has got 31 different satellite-sets now - I have let them all in "stock", even the ones, where I used the old markers for the mounting-holes (which were difficult to remove after once combining the complete set to one layer, but then editing it later) though there are just minor variations between some of them, that finally lead to about six variations that came to the shortlist. As this one has a very big center-plate, most of them will not be useful for other wheels, but I think it may be from interest, to see, what is possible at all.

Pretty same with the Morgan-Park-centerplate. It is at least also quite big with this original Morgan-mounting-plate. But I already found it difficult, to mount all four satellites to this one yet, with a smaller center-ring it could be even worse without cutting something away from the arms. A quite interesting solution was the mount of the arms as a "spiral", but the variations are quite low to fit different mounting-holes without covering the holes for the steering-wheel itself. So the whole thing is quite tricky and for me it was a huge simplification to find out, what is possible at all with the help of this sheet. I hope, it can be as helpful for you!

Again - feel free to delete every layer or group of the sheet, that are not interesting for you and the special needs at your own wheel - they are just suggestions and the result of my own playing around with this sheet.

Finally some pics of what you may recieve:

Now have fun with playing around!

• In my location I don't have a strong enough
    internet connection to do online racing such as I-Racing, so i depend on
    consoles to get my fix.  I would love to purchase a CSW set and with the upcoming
    release of Project Cars for PS4 I ready to buy now.  Fanatec and
    Thrustmaster are the two contenders, but the Thrustmaster products seems to be
    designed by people who are not sim racers and that’s why Fanatec is my first
    pic.  Fanatec products seem to be designed and built by real sim racers.
     Now to my question, will there be a CSW base compatible with the PS4?

•  
    The production of the first batch is already finished so it will not bee too long.

So why do you do this Thomas? Because it seems that it ends up being months after you make statements like this. Is it to use us to increase the view count for your website? Really it almost seems that way 
  • Third and final version of the Satellite-construction-kit. The PSD-File is packed as a RAR of ~ 80Gb now. Same as before it has the correct sizes, so you can print out at least the center at a DIN A 4-paper. Just the resolution of pixels is reduced down to 156ppi, which is still pretty higher than the usual 72ppi. But it is easier to place the parts exactly to their position in this larger size with 2070² pixel if you use just the visible sector of it in a 100 or even 200%-view... (I´m using it with a genuine size of 3370² pixel and 256ppi with a size of 430Gb - even lower as my working-sheets for car-painting, but I found, that those sizes can not be read in again at most of the other computers.

If you try to use this sheet with a different painting-program as Photoshop, it may be, that the layer-groups will be messed up and are gone after opening, so you may find an awful size of unsorted heavy-to-overview single layers - as well, I have no idea, what happens to the color-marks of the layers and groups, which usually help a lot to sort the whole mass of data... Anyway - try it and see, what happens.

http://www.citytea.de/Images/Satellite-Construction-Kit_for_Fanatec_CSW-Universal-Hub_V4.rar

I now have added a Morgan-Park Threewheeler steering-wheel with a diameter of 28/27cm in six different variations and 11 complete satellite-sets, where I used the new markers for mounting-points. (the old "rings" got to mark the mounting-points of the actual steeringwheel overall at the group now) This wheel as well was constructed completely in Photoshop after the specs of their website. I think about to built the whole thing at all by myself, maybe...

The Moto-Lita-wheel has got 31 different satellite-sets now - I have let them all in "stock", even the ones, where I used the old markers for the mounting-holes (which were difficult to remove after once combining the complete set to one layer, but then editing it later) though there are just minor variations between some of them, that finally lead to about six variations that came to the shortlist. As this one has a very big center-plate, most of them will not be useful for other wheels, but I think it may be from interest, to see, what is possible at all.

Pretty same with the Morgan-Park-centerplate. It is at least also quite big with this original Morgan-mounting-plate. But I already found it difficult, to mount all four satellites to this one yet, with a smaller center-ring it could be even worse without cutting something away from the arms. A quite interesting solution was the mount of the arms as a "spiral", but the variations are quite low to fit different mounting-holes without covering the holes for the steering-wheel itself. So the whole thing is quite tricky and for me it was a huge simplification to find out, what is possible at all with the help of this sheet. I hope, it can be as helpful for you!

Again - feel free to delete every layer or group of the sheet, that are not interesting for you and the special needs at your own wheel - they are just suggestions and the result of my own playing around with this sheet.

Finally some pics of what you may recieve:

Now have fun with playing around!

Awesome Stuff Klaus. I noticed the Moto Lita wheels are awesome however they may need an adapter plate from 9 bolt to 6 bolt
  • Awesome Stuff Klaus. I noticed the Moto Lita wheels are awesome however they may need an adapter plate from 9 bolt to 6 bolt

There is an adapter-plate available (though NOT at Limora, where they sell the ML´s), but at "Lenkradshop.de" 

http://www.lenkradshop.de/epages/62525062.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62525062/Products/"1443 b"

You need some top-cover for this only tecnical, but not "suitable" looking part then - which will be offered by "Limora" again.

But as I have an already quite suitable aluminium part here, I will draw my version at the picture myself - a friend has the necessary machines for...  ;;) 

I have already started with collecting parts for doing two versions of the upper Morgan-Park-wheels in complete - also the wooden parts. ML uses some plywood parts there (at least at this cheaper Mark 3), where the overall transversely running line of the wooden structure disturbs me a little... (the MP-Originals use the same technique, btw.)

• So how does one find a Morgan Wheel?  Seems near impossible.
    edited June 2014

A little company in Hamburg, restoring Morgans - they build their own version of the wheel - thats where I got the impression from.

http://www.morganpark.de/morgan-modelle/morgan-park-zubehoer/lenkraeder/

Today I got the aluminium-parts and made an exactly layout for the CAD-program to cut the basic plates out.

The construction of the outer ring was quite tricky - at the space upper the centerpoint it´s an ellipse with a diameter of 28/27cm outside and 23/22cm inside, which is lifted above the centerpoint with 0,5cm. (orange lines)

At the bottom however it is an exact circle with 28/28 and 23/23, but below the horizontal axle it is compressed then about 1cm (green lines). Both pairs of lines cut each other imperceptible at about 0,25cm above the horizontal center and the different shapes will be exchanged there. (orange on the upper side, green at the space below)

This leads to the upper ring being a little wider above the gripspace (against a pure circle) while it will proportionally go flat at the space below the horizontal center. In this case you get an optical impression of a nearly "round" circle, unless using the constructed ellipse with a more "egglike" shape.

• Andrew ClarkAndrew Clark Member
    edited June 2014

Thanks for all the efforts put forth here Klaus and the links you have posted to follow.

I purchased an inexpensive unbranded Wheel Rim wood grain with a black inlay and purchased a

Black Alfa Romeo steering wheel badge for it. I think it will look really nice and is light weight but still kind of generic. However I think I will be happy with it but might look for something more authentic for more of a show piece to hold on to for intent to be used on a Fanatec direct drive wheel base.

I will check the link for the Morgan rim cause those rivets look pretty tough and rare!

Anyway since you are looking to custom build a rim and possibly from there create the possibility of creating exact duplicates of your finished work you might create a good opportunity for yourself.

Anyway didn't Thomas say he would get a hub out to custom wheel builders?

edited June 2014

Anyway didn't Thomas say he would get a hub out to custom wheel builders?

B-)  Did you, Thomas? But I think, he was rather going for such extremely strange things as shown at the Bugbear-vid. Or he meant customers, that will produce some relatively small series for the users of the Universal hub to purchase.

Both is not my intend so far. After doing these wheels just for my personal fun, I want to go back to modding classic cars. Have just some delay atm., as most of my partners at the modding groups are in vacation.

Btw - what would you think about a Morgan Threewheeler for Assetto Corsa? :D  

• Yes Morgan 3 wheeler Assetto Corsa!!

• It's 249 € without the rim ?