PlayStation compatibility UPDATE 2

Thomas JackermeierThomas Jackermeier Member, Administrator
edited November 2016 in Blog
You might have already noticed that we have removed the icons to show the PlayStation compatibility on our website. So what does that mean?

As part of the licensing process for a new, officially licensed racing wheel, Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) has asked us to stop promoting our unlicensed wheels as beeing PlayStation compatible and we are happy to comply with that. As soon as we have a fully licensed PlayStation wheel on the market, we will officially announce the compatibility again.

If you already purchased a Fanatec product with previously promoted PS3 or PS4 compatibility, basically nothing will change for you. The compatibility for those wheels still depends solely on the game developers and if they decide to add/keep support for their wheels in their games or not.
If you purchase a new wheel from us from now on we will only guarantee the PC or Xbox One compatibility as advertised.

I hope you understand our position and rest assured that we do everything to make our products as compatible as possible.

UPDATE
The situation has still not changed much as we are still wating for a contract but it seems that a lot of our customers are very angry based on wrong assumptions.
Therefore I would like to make some statements:

1. Sony clearly said that PS3 steering wheels will only have limited Support on the PS4. This was posted on their Website and accessible to every PS4 owner.

2. We never made any promises that your wheels will be future proof and 100% compatible with any upcoming PS4 game. In fact DriveClub was the first racing game on PS4 and it was never compatible. All owners of a CSW V2 could have known that and we clearly made big warnings on our product page that compatibility depends on the support of the game developer. We were never hiding anything and we did not try to mislead anybody. Please do not blame us if you did not read or believe in the big warnings in the the product description.

3. No other manufactuerer even bothered to make unlicensed PS3 wheels compatible to PS4. Fanatec at least made several games compatible to several of our wheels. Wheels which we are not even selling anymore so there was no commercial sense for us. We even made old Xbox 360 wheels compatible to PS3 and PS4. We did it for YOU.

4. Official PS4 wheels require a security chip. The only way to get such a chip is to make an agreement with Sony.

5. Making an agreement with Sony is not a matter of money or effort or is anything we can influence. We can make proposals and they can accept it or not. They are not obliged to give us a license and there is no right for us to get one. If you think that it is simply a matter of money then ask yourself why we have no problem to pay royalties to Porsche, BMW or Microsoft but would not do so to the platform holder which gives us access to 65% of the wheel market. We are not stupid ;-). And by the way, Sony is not asking for crazy royalties. It is the normal rate that anybody has to pay if he gets selected.

6. We only get such an agreement if we strictly and 100% follow their rules. If they want us to stop sending dev kits to the game developers then we do so. If we have to make our unlicensed wheels not compatible anymore then we do so. The only alternative we have is to have no licensed wheels at all.
And that means you not only have to buy a new base but you also need new steering wheels, shifters, handbrakes, static shifter paddles etc.

5. Emulating the security chip or other hacks might be possible but I hope you understand now that we are not even thinking about such an option.

6. Making a Universal hub for  PS4 would be our preferred choice and we suggested that idea to Sony. Unfortunately it was rejected with no reason given. Again, we cannot force them to accept something.
But there is a very positive aspect of that. On the Xbox it is impossible to use the popular Formula, BMW or Porsche steering wheels. It is likely that those steering wheels could be used on a potential PS4 base. Most of our customers have 2 or more steering wheels. It might be cheaper to replace the base than to replace all steering wheels.

7. If we can get a license then it will be for something based on the CSL Elite base. This is certainly a step down from a CSW BV2 but probably still a lot better than any other alternative for PS4. And if this PS4 Wheel is selling well then there is no reason that we cannot get another license for another wheel.

So what are my recommendations for you?

Stay calm. We are working hard on a solution which is best for you and there is a high chance that we can achieve it.

If we can make a PS4 Version of the CSL Elite Wheel base then it is very likely that you can keep your pedals, steering wheels, shifters, table clamps, handbrakes etc.. And there is great new stuff coming up as well.
You can sell your CSWB V2 for good money to a PC or XOne user. Used bases sometimes sell on eBay with almost the same price as new. Perhaps you lose only 10% to  25% but you used it for several months.

Of Course you could also sell your PS4 and switch to PC or XOne. Or you buy a product of the competition and support this license business which made you so upset.

Let us get this contract done and then we hurry up to catch the Launch of GT Sport. We make sure that you have a decent setup for it.

UPDATE 2
Good News!
I am happy to announce that we finally signed an Agreement with Sony Computer Entertainment Europe for an officially licensed racing Wheel for the PlayStation 4.  Of Course we are in discussions with other regions as well and our target is to make a fully compatible racing wheel for Gran Turismo Sport and other great racing simulations in 2017.

We can now make this new racing wheel compatible to the console system and that means you get full functionality like the PS button or navigation in the console menu. Unfortunately we cannot share more technical details about this product until it is fully approved.
It is still Sony's policy that only official licensed products will be compatible to future games but we will make as much of your current peripherals compatible to the PS4 as possible. What we can already confirm is that at this point it is not possible to make existing wheel bases compatible anymore. This is not a technical problem but was part of the deal. I am aware that this is not what some of you want to hear but we will make sure that the new racing wheel will be the best wheel for PS4 out there. So if you stay with Fanatec it will still be your best option.

We can also not comment on the timeline but rest assured that we are already working full speed on this project and try to start the approval process already this year. How long it takes is out of our control.

Comments

• muy amable de informar, lo estaremos esperando ... saludos..
  • Glad to see you're still pursuing a deal with Sony. Hopefully this results in a PlayStation rim for my V2 base!
  • Don't rims already work on PS4?
  • I assume a licensed rim would be more fully supported. I suspect it may be necessary to play exclusive titles like drive club or Turismo. Otherwise there would be little reason for Fanatec to pursue a license and little value for those who already obtained a licensing deal.
  • Unless we hear actually what this means it seems to be a money grab from Sony. If they don't use the MS way of making it all or nothing and still leave it up to devs then this is dumb. I guess we'll wait and see. I think it's TM complaining to Sony.
  • Time will tell, when Turismo comes out I'll access my options. I'm leaning towards a pc upgrade as a better investment vs a PS4 anyway...
  • Totally agree. I'm getting a new video card and monitors. Going triple screens. And I think I'm gonna attack iRacing. Their latest update added 4 cars and tons of improvements to what I think was already the most realistic driving experience of any sim. So unless something changes this means Fanatec will be going the way of TM with their new rims. It will be either Xbox or PlayStation compatible because MS and Sony don't allow dual licenses on a product. If true this is a bad deal for us the end user. Fanatec has been the only company fighting for the user. Every other company has just been looking to pad the pocketbook. This is not a good thing IMO.
  • Im not understanding so does this mean that if i buy a porsche 918 rim it wont work with ps4?
  • From my understanding everything that's been stated as PlayStation compatible will continue to be so. They just can't advertise that fact anymore. And any new PlayStation compatible rim(s) will have to have official Sony licensing. But, Thomas can clarify if I'm wrong.
  • I have both consoles, Xbox One for Forza 6 and PS4 for Project Cars and soon Assetto Corsa. When i use my Xbox One Hub with the GT Wheel on PS4, the ForceFeedback works perfectly in every way but the description of the buttons are not designed for this console. When you navigate through the menu, you couldn't use the same buttons like on Xbox One. I must use a normal Playstation 4 Pad to change my car setup in a game like Project Cars. A official wheel rim for PlayStation has the perfect button description and works with every game menu.

A official Playstation wheel opens the Fanatec Brand in an optimal way for the most selling console. I hope Fanatec has great success.

If nothing changes for me and my wheels.... your welcome.

• Sounds to me like Thomas has a new wheel coming which will be officially licensed. So either a wheel rim for the CSWv2, but more likely something in the lines of the new CSL wheel base.
  • PS 4 may be the top selling console but not the top racing console. Xbox has more racing titles. So you have to use a controller every once in awhile. Have we really gotten so spoiled that this is a problem? This news is bad for users. Fanatec will now be just like TM. You'll have a rim that's PS4/PC and a 2nd rim that's Xbox1/PC. I can't understand why more people aren't angered by this. At least upset. It's actually quite humorous to me. I remember back when this generation of consoles launched and everyone was up in arms about how they needed two TM wheels. Everyone applauded Fanatec for doing it all with one rim. Those days are probably gone and no one seems to care. It's not a concern of mine personally for a number of reasons. But I know many people that this is going to affect negatively.
  • I have ONE Wheel for all (PS4, Xbox One and PC) and it works still in a perfect way! There is no reduced function for my Xbox One Hub with GT Wheel! The only thing that is not perfect, is the button description on the wheel for PS4. BUT it is normal that i use an extra Gamepad.... for both consoles. When you use Teamspeak on the consoles, you need this extra Gamepad.

I personally don't need a special PS4 Wheel, my ForceFeedback works in a perfect way on all consoles and PC. That's what i have bought and still use. For a user with only a PS4, it could be a different thing.

I understand the information from Thomas in that way, that my Hardware works in the future in that way it works now. The only thing ist that it has no official PS4 brandmark.......but it works and that is what i want.
  • Juan PerezJuan Perez Member
    edited March 2016
    I'm really interested to see which direction this goes...

I'm a CSW v2 owner, with universal hub for xbox one support but also use formula and BMW GT rims on the PS4. I'm considering getting back into Driveclub but need to purchase a T300 in order to play it with a wheel/pedals...

The statement by Thomas can be interpreted in a couple of ways and one of those ways I'm HOPING for is that Fanatec are working on an officially licensed rim for Sony, (HOPEFULLY) one that works with Driveclub...assuming Evolution studios decide to support it which I'm guessing they COULD if the wheel is an officially supported rim by Sony.

Thomas - Are you able to provide a rough timeframe for this 'new' wheel that you mention? 

Thanks

Nick
  • It would definitely be nice to have a fully PS4 supported rim for the CSW bases if that is needed to play GT7/sport. I don't know if GT will be like Drive Club in that a fully licensed controller will be required, but if that is the case than this would be a welcome addition. In my opinion this would be a necessity for us GT players since we certainly aren't looking to swap out our CSW bases for an inferior (again, my opinion) Thrustmaster base. 

My only concern is such, I am planning on purchasing a V2 based at some point. I still play a lot of PS3 racing titles and I would like to know if Fanatec will be removing the PS3 functionality from there V2 base (or any of their current CSW rims/hubs) from here on out. That would be quite disappointing, and I am assuming if Fanatec did remove PS3 functionality from all V2 bases and CSW rims/hubs sold from here on out than PS4 titles would likely be blocked as well, regardless of whether or not the developer supports functionality.
      I have no idea if Fanatec will in fact be removing the PS3/4 functionality of all current non-PS advertised products sold from here on out, but I would really like to know as this will effect my decision on the V2.

Hopefully nothing will be changed with the actual function or compatibility of the V2 bases and current rims/hubs and this is just an advertising issue. Maybe Thomas can shed some light on this? 

I am pretty excited to learn more about the CSL base as well. I am regularly checking the web to see if any new info is posted by Thomas!
  • Fanatec should just force Sony to accept its wheels. There's no point ie in GT7 if it not support Fanatec wheels. And also Fanatec should say to DClub's makers that they have to include support in DClub.
  • Fanatec should just force Sony to accept its wheels. There's no point ie in GT7 if it not support Fanatec wheels. And also Fanatec should say to DClub's makers that they have to include support in DClub.
    I wish it was that easy. I understand what you mean though.

Fanatec should just force Sony to accept its wheels. There's no point ie in GT7 if it not support Fanatec wheels. And also Fanatec should say to DClub's makers that they have to include support in DClub.
    I wish it was that easy. I understand what you mean though.

Me too. I also wish it was that easy...
    I've tweeted to Driveclub about the support for the CSW v2 and didn't even get a reply from them!!! (Not that I'm surprised mind...)

Like many people, I've spent thousands over the years with Fanatec and it would be nice if they finally offer a wheel that is fully supported on the PS4 as I'm contemplating buying a T300 to get back into Driveclub having sold one already when my CSW v2 arrived lol (I have the Xbox one and PS4 and not really into PC sims!)
  • So...I'm back outta hibernation. LOL To me it isn't a bad thing at all...it really bugs me that I need the PS4 controller to go into the PS dash and do everything in there with the controller...go back into the game and continue to use the wheel again. If Sony's decision with GT Sport and 7 is the same as with Driveclub...then I'm welcome a licensed wheel with open arms!! I own PCars on both consoles...and I'd pick PS4 FFB far above the X1s...so I don't care how much titles X1 has...Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa pre ordered and every other, this gen, racing title will be for PS4. I think the easiest and fastest thing Thomas and team can do is to fabricate the PS hub, like the X1 for now....but I REALLY hope, next to a PS L version, that Thomas and his team come with a Porsche/BMW like rim for both consoles...cause we REALLY NEED 2 joysticks in the rims like on a controller !!
  • And PS3/4 functionality will still be available in future if you buy any other rim, I guess, but Sony just don't want it to be mentioned on the products site, unless it's a PS licences one !!
  • I didnt see this before i bought v2 base, Porsche 918 wheel, v3 pedals, 1.5 shifter, load cell and handbrake all recently. I can say the rsr 918 wheel works in menu with wrc5 and pcars for ps4. Just about every button but one or two work for pcars even all analog controls work. pedals vibs work on pcars as well
    . My only new issue is the handbrake i just got i cant get to work hooked up either through base or pedal usb dont work. Even though fanatec and wrc5 state it will work for ps4. Big bummer wonder if itll work on a alienware alpha ill got trade it at gamestop tomorrow...
  • in PCars you have to connect the handbrake to the pedals, and the pedals directly to PS4. Works fine on my side... I don´t own WRC5 but hope that its working with Dirt Rally on PS4 as well
  • Jordi AlemanyJordi Alemany Member
    edited March 2016
    PS 4 may be the top selling console but not the top racing console. Xbox has more racing titles. So you have to use a controller every once in awhile. Have we really gotten so spoiled that this is a problem? This news is bad for users. Fanatec will now be just like TM. You'll have a rim that's PS4/PC and a 2nd rim that's Xbox1/PC. I can't understand why more people aren't angered by this. At least upset. It's actually quite humorous to me. I remember back when this generation of consoles launched and everyone was up in arms about how they needed two TM wheels. Everyone applauded Fanatec for doing it all with one rim. Those days are probably gone and no one seems to care. It's not a concern of mine personally for a number of reasons. But I know many people that this is going to affect negatively.

Let me join you with your anger, and let me tell you a joke: I have PC/PS4/X1 and TM458tx racing wheel. I play assetto on PC and sometimes Forza and Pcars on X1. But now Assetto is coming out on console too and I prefer to play it with PS4 than X1... 1080vs900, you know. So, after been thinking for a long time I decided to buy the Fanatec X1 bundle just yesterday, hoping that I would have a perfect rim that works with both consoles&PC.
    As you said, this news is horrible, because it seems that even the wheel base V2 won't have more support on PS4, so new base is coming out too.
    I don't know what kind grim should I have on my face when the brand new bundle arrives at my home. The only thing I really hope is that Assetto has fully support on PS4 with the V2 base and Xbox Universal Hub, as it was supposed to be once uppon a time.
  • Nothing is horrible, you can play Multiplatform Games on PS4 with any Rim, and now with the new PS Rim you will be able to play Sony Games like DC and GT, too. Sony Published Games will not have Wheeldriver without Licens, this was stated some weeks ago on Twitter/Driveclub.
  • i was finally able to get it to work on pcars i had to put the pedals in player one slot and base in player two slot. Then had to recal the brake pedal.I still can't get it to work in wrc5 i hope slre or dr have a analog ebrake in the code because the menu on wrc5 says axis input for steering brake throttle but button input for ebrake...which is ture because i can map it to my shifter.  
    This was the main reason i got handbrake for rally games project cars is all about carving not drifting, guess ill have to wait till pcars2 comes out....or just get a alienware alpha pos till i can afford 51
  • PS 4 may be the top selling console but not the top racing console. Xbox has more racing titles. So you have to use a controller every once in awhile. Have we really gotten so spoiled that this is a problem? This news is bad for users. Fanatec will now be just like TM. You'll have a rim that's PS4/PC and a 2nd rim that's Xbox1/PC. I can't understand why more people aren't angered by this. At least upset. It's actually quite humorous to me. I remember back when this generation of consoles launched and everyone was up in arms about how they needed two TM wheels. Everyone applauded Fanatec for doing it all with one rim. Those days are probably gone and no one seems to care. It's not a concern of mine personally for a number of reasons. But I know many people that this is going to affect negatively.

Let me join you with your anger, and let me tell you a joke: I have PC/PS4/X1 and TM458tx racing wheel. I play assetto on PC and sometimes Forza and Pcars on X1. But now Assetto is coming out on console too and I prefer to play it with PS4 than X1... 1080vs900, you know. So, after been thinking for a long time I decided to buy the Fanatec X1 bundle just yesterday, hoping that I would have a perfect rim that works with both consoles&PC.
    As you said, this news is horrible, because it seems that even the wheel base V2 won't have more support on PS4, so new base is coming out too.
    I don't know what kind grim should I have on my face when the brand new bundle arrives at my home. The only thing I really hope is that Assetto has fully support on PS4 with the V2 base and Xbox Universal Hub, as it was supposed to be once uppon a time.
    I think you'd better read Thomas' post again!! I play PCars on PS4 all the time with the X1 hub. Nothing will change about the V2 and diverse rims working on PS4. The only thing that's actual right now is that the ICON/support of PS4 can't be mentioned on the product sites anymore UNTIL Thomas and team come with a PS4 hub (I guess, cause that's the easiest/quickest way) so the funky switch becomes a PS button and the caps are PS icons.
  • Nothing is horrible, you can play Multiplatform Games on PS4 with any Rim, and now with the new PS Rim you will be able to play Sony Games like DC and GT, too. Sony Published Games will not have Wheeldriver without Licens, this was stated some weeks ago on Twitter/Driveclub.
    I banned DC out of my collection for that. LoL But when it comes to GT Sport/7, I'll be happy to pre order myself a PS hub...and with Dirt, AC and GT Sport coming soon...my X1 hub will be collecting dust. Cause I won't play any other race game then FM6 on my X1...and won't be buying any more FM titles in future!!
  • I am almost sure that first party games will only support an official PlayStation rim (a developer working on Drive Club replied to a tweet that they can't support the clubsport because it is not an official PlayStation device). So for Gran Turismo Sport or Gran Turismo 7 I expect that all rims but the incoming official PlayStation rim will not be supported. Sony political decision, nothing related to technical constraint, and nothing that Fanatec can change.
  • edited March 2016
    Maybe with GT Sport and 7 that doesn't have to be a problem ;) I can play GT5+6 without any problem with the V2 base and X1 hub if I choose the right Logitech profile. But again, I will buy the PS4 solution...cause I hate having to use the controller to navigate in PS home screen. I only hope, when we're not able to use the current rims with GT Sport, Thomas and team can manage to have the PS hub in store when GT Sport hits the stores. PS. Thomas...I want a blue colored quick release for my PS hub/rim cause that's the PlayStation logo color LOL
  • this is just gonna drive gamers to go the pc route, which is about where i am personally, i just spent alot money on every latest peiece of fanatec tech gear for my ps4 knowing someday ill get a pc but it looks like if this kinda stuff is goin down ill have to get one sooner than later.
    Does any one know if i can get by with an alienware alpha for now??Will it recognize and support all harware(handbrake) as a regular pc would or is it just a rebadged xbox??